Fair Game: Team CPPR

A/N: WARNING: Contains feels, death, and suicide.

Qrow's POV

I'm not really in a good head space right now. Today is the anniversary of the day team STRQ graduated from Beacon. When I think of that day, all I can think of is how everything went so wrong. My sister's betrayal and abandonment, Summer's death, and the fact that Tai and I don't really talk much affect me more than I can bare. All day I've been ignoring everybody, including Clover.

"Aren't you going to tell me what's up? Or are you going to keep ignoring me? Cause I thought we talked about this, about you keeping things to yourself and wallowing in self pity. You know you can trust me, I just wanna help." Clover said walking up to me.

"Cause, you can't help me. You'd never understand what I went through. I basically lost my entire team from combat school. Everything about your life is perfect, bad things don't happen to you, you can't relate to my experiences. So don't even try to pretend that you know how I feel." I replied a little too harshly.

Clover then has this expression that looks like he witnessed a puppy being murdered. Then his face goes back and forth between angry and hurt. Now he can't even look at me, so he turns his head and looks somewhere else, tears in his eyes.

"Fine...be that way, I was just trying to be there for you. And I understand more than you assume I do." Clover said bitterly.

He runs off wiping his eyes with his forearm. F**k! I'm such an idiot! I didn't mean to yell at him like that. Why can't I do anything right?! I've got to try to fix this. I look for Clover and find him in his room. My heart shattered into a million pieces when I saw that Clover was a sobbing mess, curled up in a ball on the bed. I sit behind him, trying to think of something to say.

"Clover?....babe?" I said putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Babe...I....I'm so sorry. I had no excuse for the way I yelled at you. You were trying to be a good boyfriend and I practically spat in your face. I'm sorry I just assumed you wouldn't understand. It was wrong of me to assume anything. I'm sorry...I'm so very sorry." I wept.

Clover rolls over and puts his head in my lap.

"The thing is...I do understand how you feel. My life is not perfect. I've had hardships, I've been through loss." Clover said sniffling.

"I'm listening..." I told him.

My boyfriend sits up and wipes his face, then he takes a deep calming breath.

"In combat school, I was the leader of team CPPR(copper). The other members were Philip Pinboots, Punzie Gothel, and Rose Aurora. We were a good team...and even better friends. Philip was a cat faunus and a great swordsman, but he was best known for his really fancy leather boots. Punzie, she had beautiful long blonde hair; and because of her semblance, she was able to extend it's length how ever she wanted, it was quite useful in combat. And though Rose was a bit lazy at times, she always came through when we needed her most." Clover began.

He gets up and goes to his desk, opens the drawer, and takes out a photo. When he sits back down on the bed, he hands it to me. It was a photo of his old team. Clover was in something other than his military uniform, and it was nice, very green like I had always imagined. Philip had, of course, the signature boots Clover mentioned, along with a matching hat that had a large feather on it and orangeish-yellow cat ears poking out of the top. Punzie wore a light purple peasant blouse with a dark purple corset, black leggings, and brown boots. Rose's outfit was interesting, it was split down the middle between pink and blue. They all looked so young and happy. Just like my team was.

"After we graduated, I joined the military while the others didn't. Then within a span of three years, they all...died." Clover told me, his voice wavering.

"Oh my...I'm so sorry, what happened?" I asked holding his hands.

"Four months after graduation, Rose just...went to sleep one day, and never woke up. Later it was determined that she had a brain aneurysm. It was so sudden...and it hit the rest of us pretty hard. I...I shut the others out, I became hyperfocused in becoming the perfect little soldier. Then, two years later, Punzie died on a mission, leaving behind a husband and twins. I think the twins are about the same age as Ruby or Oscar. After she died, I became even more focused with my work in the military, neglecting Philip as a friend. I didn't notice how much he was struggling, how much he was hurting. I wasn't there for him when he needed me the most...and...a-and just two months after Punzie died....I...I, uh....go to Philip's house to see him...to talk to him...but...b-but..." Clover said, not being able to finish as he started sobbing again.

"But, what?" I said, urging him to continue.

"I-I was too late...I...I found him...dangling from the ceiling...h-he had killed himself." Clover said before crying hysterically.

I hug him and just let him cry it all out.

"I-I failed him...he was my friend, he needed me. If I had been there for him like a good friend is supposed to be, he'd still be alive. Heck, maybe if I had stuck around maybe my good luck would've kept Rose and Punzie alive too." Clover sobbed.

I have no idea what to say. What can I say? I had no idea Clover had suffered this much. I'm such a jerk for ever telling him that his life was perfect and that bad things didn't happen to him. I should've known that Clover, like everyone else, has had someone close to him die...I mean, it's not uncommon for people to experience personal loss at least a few times within their life.

"Oh, Clover, I'm so sorry that all happened to you. I-I'm sorry I said that you wouldn't understand, you clearly do. H*ll, only one of my teammates died, but you completely lost you're entire team." I said feeling like a guilty piece of sh*t.

"Don't downplay your pain just because mine is different. Your struggles are just as valid as mine." Clover replied, starting to calm down a bit.

"You know, it was because of Philip's death that I became so determined to always be there for the people I cared about. I wasn't going to fail anyone else like I failed him." he added clinging tightly to me.

"Babe, Philip's death wasn't your fault, neither were Rose's or Punzie's. You of all people should know better than to blame yourself for things that are out of your control. That's what you always tell me." I told him, stroking the back of his head.

"You're right...I...was just upset. I've never really talked about this to anyone, I was always too busy making sure everyone else was okay." Clover said.

"It's okay to be upset. I'm gonna be here for you...like you have for me. Again, I'm very sorry for the way I acted before. I promise I won't push you away again, and I promise that I will never assume anything about you." I promised him.

"So...tell me about team STRQ. Last I recall, you were pretty upset today." Clover said laying us down on the bed.

I smiled...here he was, just minutes after being an emotional mess and he's asking how I am. He's so selfless and I love him for it. So, all night, we lay there holding hands as we talk to each other about our troubles and our past, making each other feel better.

A/N: In case you didn't figure it out; Philip is based off of Puss In Boots, Punzie is based off of Rupunzle, and Rose is based off of Sleeping Beauty.