Not good enough (Peter Parker)

Requested by: CrazyCatTeen35: What about a Peter Parker one shot where the reader's parents don't like Peter because he's always working as an Avenger and is always gone. They want to split him and the reader up, so Peter wants to prove himself worthy of their daughter

"I need to go, babe." Peter sighed as we lay on my sofa, my body on top of his.

"No." I groaned loudly into his chest, making him chuckle and look at me.

"Mr Stark is expecting me at the compound in an hour. And considering that I was an idiot who forgot to bring clothes with me, I need to go home and change." He spoke, making me sigh as he sat up and gently eased me off of him before standing up. I huffed out and looked at him.

"It wouldn't be an issue if we moved in together." I stated. He sighed and looked at me.

"I know, babe, but your parents don't like me enough yet for that to happen. The logical step after moving in is always engagement, there's no way that your dad would give me his blessing with my current relationship with them." He scoffed and shook his head.

"You don't need my dad's blessing to marry me, I'm a grown woman who doesn't need my dad's permission to marry my boyfriend." I retorted as I stood up.

"I know, but I also know that you like tradition." He nodded.

"True. But in their defence, they don't like you because you've missed the last three chances to meet them." I spoke.

"And you know why that is, angel. You also know that I can't tell them. How would they react when their daughter's boyfriend, who they already don't like, tells them that he's an Avengers and risks his life daily for his job?" he scoffed. I sighed and looked down.

"True." I mumbled. Peter returned my sigh and gently took my hands into his, making me look back up at him.

"Tonight will be different, okay? Mr Stark has given me permission to end my patrol an hour earlier so that I'll definitely be on time. Tonight is the night." He reassured. I bit my lip.

"Make sure that you're there. I don't know how many more chances my parents are going to give you. And I don't want them hating my future husband." I nodded. He returned it and gave me a small smile before leaning down and pecking my lips. I returned it before he pulled away and opened my door.

"I promise that I'll be there tonight. Even if it means letting a criminal escape, I'll be there." He teased, making me chuckle and shake my head.

"See you tonight, Pete." I nodded. He returned it and blew me a kiss before leaving my apartment. I sighed and bit my lip, sitting back down on the sofa as I looked down at my hands. I knew that it wasn't Peter's fault, but I knew that he wouldn't keep his promise of being able to make dinner tonight. And the issue was that I couldn't tell my parents the real reason, so they had started to view Peter as some unreliable asshole who kept standing their daughter up. I sighed again, wiping away the tear that had fallen as I turned on the TV in an effort to distract myself.

I sat in the restaurant, waiting for Peter as I sat there with my parents. I looked down at my phone, the numbers showing that he was an hour late.

"Y/N, honey, maybe we should just order. He's clearly not coming." Mum scoffed. I looked up at them.

"No, he'll be here, we just need to wait." I returned the scoff.

"We've been waiting for an hour. This is just like every other time. Nothing changes with this jackass." My dad mumbled.

"Dad, don't talk about Peter like that, he's not a jackass. He has his reasons for being late." I spat.

"And how come you're never able to tell us the reason? Do you have one of those relationships where you can see other people or something? Is he with another girl?" he asked. My eyes widened.