Broken *part 1* (Peter Parker)

I knocked on Peter's apartment door and waited for a response. It opened after a moment to reveal May.

"Hey, hun, come on in." she gave me a small smile.

"Hey, May." I returned as I slipped past her and into the apartment.

"I got the usual, two coffees, a blueberry muffin and granola for you, and a chocolate chip muffin for me." I nodded, putting everything onto the kitchen counter.

"You're a sweetie, I hope you know that." She smiled, making me chuckle as we sat down at the kitchen table. We sat there in comfortable silence for a few minutes as we started to eat our food.

"So, how are you handling everything? I mean, it was five years since the blip the other day. How are you and your mom coping five years without your dad?" May asked, eating a spoonful of her granola. I sighed.

"We're managing, I guess. It still hurts, I sometimes hear mom crying at night, but apart from that, she sucks it up and puts on a brave face for me, which I don't like. She shouldn't have to act brave for me." I shook my head.

"Well, you do the same for me, don't you?" she shrugged. I looked at her.

"What?" I scoffed. May looked at me.

"Y/N, when's the last time that you talked about Peter?" she asked. I sighed and looked down, my eyes wavering at the sound of his name.

"I know the reason you don't talk about him isn't because you don't miss him or because you didn't love him, because I know that you love him and that you miss him, so much. I know that you don't talk about him because you feel like it invades my grief, but it doesn't, honey." She chuckled slightly, reaching out and taking my hand across the table. I gave her a small smile as I looked at her through glassy eyes.

"I'm sorry, May." I gulped, trying to keep my voice steady as I felt tears in my eyes.

"Don't be, hun. You talk about him for a bit. I always talk about how much I miss him and how I cope with that, but I know that you're grieving too. So, you talk about him." She nodded. I took a deep breath, silently grateful for May being so understanding. After the blip, after I had lost Peter, I went straight to May, knowing that she would be feeling the same as I was. Over the last five years since half of all life was snapped out of existence, we had grown incredibly close. But even with May reassuring me every visit that I could talk about Peter and that I also had a right to mourn for him, it still felt like it wasn't my place. After all, I had been his best friend since we were kids, but had only been his girlfriend for a year before the blip happened, and she had raised him since he was four. It didn't feel right, but this time, I brought myself to it.

"There's, um, there's a framed photo on my nightstand, that Peter gave me for my birthday, I'm sure he would have showed you it." I spoke.

"The one at homecoming, where you're dancing? I know the one." She smiled, nodding. I chuckled and returned her nod.

"I was thinking about that night, the other day. Because that's the night Peter told me that he loved me." I spoke. May looked at me, contently listening to me with a sympathetic look in her eyes.

"I didn't believe him at first. I mean, we'd only been dating, what, three months by that point? And so, I said to him "how do you know?". He said he knew because whenever he was alone, all he could think about was the next time he would see me again. He said that he knew because whenever he was in a life-or-death situation as Spiderman, all he could think about was getting back safely to me. He knew because every time we were together, he felt butterflies in his stomach, like the first time we were together, and he loved it." I nodded, a slight smile on my lips as I thought about him. May nodded, looking at me sympathetically.