Untitled Part 61

Horka felt for the first time now that he might have made the wrong decision when he rejected initiation in the summer following his twenty-first winter and left the taltos order. Oguz stared at the great priest with wide eyes. At first, he even caught his breath.

Oskam fell into his first reverence with a short rite. This was followed by others, exactly five. What followed was not visible to the uninitiated under normal circumstances, but it was different.

Eskam sat down in front of one of the horses, then his body remained sitting there, yet he stood up. I had two Esquas within the circle. Then the second sat down in front of the next horse again. then stood up again, but a third. So on until the circle closed, then the first one stood up again and entered the middle of the circle, where it became a translucent shape.

It was a round of weeks. Horka had heard it, but he didn't believe it. Until now, his mind could not comprehend this. They said Gorda could do that, and maybe a few more. He didn't think one of them was Oskam.

The power of the weeks together is so inconceivable to a worldly person who knows no other kind of knowledge that if he sees one, he has stood up for a devil or God, but he does not believe that mortal oh would be able to do so.

Now Horka also doubted for a moment whether the taltos he had known so far were human or something alien beyond the earth. Then he let go of the thought. He had known Eskam since he was a child.