Chapter 34- The Missing Principal

I woke up in the same room, on the same sofa, everything was the same as I had left it the night before, and no sign of her. The bed was untouched as well as the paper on her desk. ''If she had come back, I would have known...'' I always was a light sleeper, so I would have woken up if someone had entered the room.

   I got up and placed the pillow back in her bed and left her office. It was Friday so I still had to attend classes. As I made my way to my dorm to get changed, I ran into Alex. ''Hey! We-...Are you ok?'' She noticed the way I looked. ''Yea, just slept badly.'' I pretended to jawn, to make it look more believable. ''Um, ok, I got to hurry, but let's meet at some break, ok.'' She asked starting to make her way down the hall. ''Yea..ok.'' I continued to go back to my dorm.

   My heart was empty, and I couldn't get her out of my head. The whole morning I felt numb and weak in my stomach. And as I made my way to my first class, I quickly checked her office to see if she had returned. But....as I had predicted she wasn't there. ''Where have you gone?'' I thought to myself before continuing to make my way to my first period. Enid noticed that I was under the weather and asked: ''Hey you look down?'' She sat next to me making the girl who usually sits next to me, move to another seat. ''Oh Hi, I just didn't get enough sleep.'' I rubbed my eyes, accidentally smearing the mascara from the day before, under my eyes. ''Yea I see...'' She nodded her head.

   I placed my head on the table and just zoned out, not listening to what the teacher had to say. Technically I was there, but my mind was somewhere far away. I even didn't do my test at calculus and gave back an empty sheet of paper. ''Not even grades matter now....'' Every single break I went to her office, and waited, waited until the bell rang and I had to go back to my class. And the cycle repeated.

   When lunch came around I went once again, back to her office. I sat back on the sofa and waited. Once in a while, my stomach turned when someone passed by the door, and I hoped it was her, but no......it was never her, no one entered the office, I even started feeling crazy, seeing her face and hearing her voice. With every passing minute, my emotions grew, but I didn't let them slip. ''Mi Amor....'' I whispered getting up and walking towards her desk,'' where are you?'' I ran my fingers on her desk, where already a little dust layer had appeared, signifying, that nothing had been disturbed. I didn't even notice how quickly the time passed, and then the bell rang making me go to my class, which in fact was plant biology.

   As I was making my way to the lesson I got spooked by Alex. ''Where have you been all day? I couldn't find you.'' She placed her elbow on my shoulder while I still kept walking to the classroom. ''I...I just go on walks every break today, kinda felt like I needed it.'' Witch, indeed I felt like I needed at the moment. ''Could have told me, we could have walked together.'' She said now following me. ''Don't you have a lesson right now,'' I asked because I was already late for mine. ''Well, I was going to mine, but then I saw you.'' She said as we approached Miss. Thornhill's classroom. ''Then you better hurry, because I am late for mine as well,'' I said trying not to look like I would cry any minute now. ''Yea okay, bye.'' She turned away and quickly went away disappearing behind a corner. 

  I quietly entered the classroom and quickly went to my seat, but I saw a few eyes turn and look at me, including Miss. Thornhill, but she didn't say anything. ''What is the subject?'' I opened my notebook and asked the girl next to me. ''Whole organism biology.'' The girl whispered showing me the title that she had written down. ''Great, definitely an easy subject.'' I wrote the title down in my notebook and started feeling the anxiety start to crawl back. ''Here goes my 5 minutes of peace.'' I thought to myself and started scribbling random lines and doodles on the side of my notebook.  The whole lesson flew by really quickly and by the end of it, I had scribbled the whole page, now just the title being the only thing written in English. I packed my bag and when everyone left, I went up to MIss. Thornhill. ''I wanted to ask...have you seen Miss. Weems, I went to talk to her yesterday, but she wasn't there, and today as well.'' I said trying to say it in not a panicky voice. ''No, maybe she is in Jericho, she will probably be back soon,'' She said rearranging her plants. ''Oh, okay thanks, but I will go now goodbye.'' I turned around and walked away going straight to Weems office. I opened the door but as always she wasn't there, and she didn't show up even after my last period. As it was hitting 6 pm my nerves could handle just sitting in her office and waiting, it was making me slowly crumble apart. 

   I ripped out a note from my notebook and wrote: 

''When you are back, please come to me.''

I folded up the note and placed it on her laptop. I went back to my room, where I almost immediately broke down. I started crying and throwing stuff around, until I crumbled on the ground next to a wall and sobbed, sobbed until there were no tears left. I was too crushed that I didn't leave the floor falling asleep on it. My emotions had taken over me....again, and now I couldn't break free.