27. The Regulations

Xing’s cousin had a crush on Susan as well, but this cousin’s crush had almost bordered on paranoia for he was so jealous of the fact that Susan had a boyfriend and they were living together. With that being said, the cousin’s favorite thing was to peep at Susan.

Xing found that out and confronted the creepy cousin, the cousin turned angry from shame and started to bad-mouth Susan, saying her was an easy bit.

Xing had always seen Susan as a goddess, he couldn’t stand anyone slandering Susan, so he fought with the cousin and mover out.

Xing had been working hard since he moved to the city, so he could afford to live by himself. A month later, Xing ran into Susan and found that Susan and her boyfriend had broken up and she had nowhere to live.

Xing screwed up his courage and took Susan in, Susan moved into the second room on the agreement that she would pay half of the rent. Xing had hopelessly fallen in love with Susan, but unfortunately, Susan just saw Xing as a little brother.

Susan was an escort girl, Xing would refuse to go to sleep until he heard Susan came back home safe and sound, how he wished he could convince Susan to change her job.

This night, Susan was still not home at 2 a.m., Xing got so worried and he went to Susan’s work to pick her up. To his surprise, he found a hooligan trying to take advantage of Susan while she was drunk.

Xing gave the hooligan a good beating and told Susan how he had felt about her, Susan didn’t say anything, but she moved out the next morning.

Xing was crushed by that, he started to indulge in excessive drinking and neglect work until he heard the news that his father had passed away.

Like all the other boys, father was Xing’s first hero and role model. Xing rushed back to his hometown for his father’s funeral, he swore he would be the backbone of the family when he saw his mother drenched in tears.

Xing was a changed person after the funeral. He went to the capital city with grand ambition, he wasn’t overwhelmed by the traffic speeding in an endless stream or the hustle and bustle on the streets, he swore he would gain a foothold in the city and support his mother who had devoted all her life to him. He would find a way.

Qi Le An finished the screenplay at a stretch, he fell for Xing, he knew how cruel life could be, and he liked how the story had an open ending instead of a fairy tale happy ending. Life was not a fairy tale.

Qi Le An felt Xing’s frustration about fate, love, and the future, but his father’s death was such a wake-up call for him, he reflected on what he had done and he shouldered the responsibility as a son, as a man! Xing’s story was profound and powerful, Qi Le An felt so related and he loved the story.

The room was so quiet, Qi Le An was still thinking about the screenplay while Wei Chang Feng and Gary each held a notebook in hand. Anyone who walked in the room would be so dumbstruck, it was hard to believe a room in East Wind could be this quiet.

Wei Chang Feng noticed Qi Le An had put the screenplay back on the table, he asked, “You are done?”

Qi Le An nodded.

“What do you think of it?”

“This character is very different from what you have played before.”

Gary put his notebook aside and stared at Qi Le An, wishing to hear more.

Wei Chang Feng laughed and asked Qi Le An to continue.

“Xing is a very obstinate young man, life keeps throwing things at him since he was a little boy, his heart is bashed and battered, so he is desperate to find some warmth. But his love for Susan isn’t returned, and, understandably, he gets so depressed, he just wants a touch of sweetness in his life. But all the characters you have played, Wei Sama, don’t have such a complicated relationship with the outside world.”