John X Reader: You Die in His Arms

John couldn't believe it...it was happening again.

John had lost everything. First he lost his brothers when they were separated, then he lost his childhood to his abusive foster parents, then he lost his early life to his reckless behaviour. He had so much but it was always ripped away from him, it was always lost. In that way, it was never enough. Then he had his brothers back, he gained a sister, he had his family back. And just as he thought that it couldn't get any better, he met you.

You who accepted him for everything that he was, his flaws and all. You who knew his darkest secrets and kept them until your last breath. You who loved him so unconditionally despite the low points in the relationship. You who he loved with all of his heart, more than he ever thought he was capable of.

John remembered the first time that he held you in his arms, he remembered the smell that was so distinctly you, the warmth and comfort that only you could emit, the affection in every touch.

Now all he could focus on was the feeling of you in his arms, cold and weak.

"Come on, stay with me" he begged, tearing in his eyes and staining his cheeks and his pulled your body into his chest as much as he could, not caring about your blood staining his clothes.

You could only smile weakly at him as he used one hand to brush your hair out of your face and the other cradled the back of your head.

You both knew that you weren't coming back from this, you had accepted your fate, John had not. "John" you whispered, trying to get his attention but he was too busy fussing over pulling you closer to him. He needed to remember what your embrace felt like...

"John...please...look at me" you spoke softly as you weakly wrapped your arms around his neck and looked up at him.

"Don't strain yourself" he warned you, his voice coming out choked and rough, as he cradled your body.

"John...we both know how this is going to end" you sighed, you had to make him understand and accept this.

"No, this isn't how this is suppose to be. I was meant to go first, I was never meant to live without you" John sobbed quietly, shaking his head. He rested his forehead to yours and cradled the back of your head in his hand.

Joseph always told John that when bad things happen, it is God testing them. But how could God be this cruel? How could a loving God take away John's everything?

"John..." you sighed again, giving him a look which told him that this was alright, this is happening and there is nothing that he can do about it.

"I know..." he whispered, finally accepting the tragic truth of the situation. You were dying.

"I want you to do something your me" you asked, moving your hand to gently stroke his cheek.

"Anything" he spokes so softly and lovingly, yet so seriously.

"Do all of those things that we wanted to do together" you asked of him, smiling as he leaned into the touch of your hand on his cheek.

"I can't..." he began to shake his head. He didn't see how he could do those things without you, he didn't see how he could live without you.

"Do it for me?" You asked softly, almost pleadingly, as you made him look you in the eyes.

"I'll do it, anything for you Y/N" John sighed and agreed to your request, he could never say 'no' to you, and he definitely couldn't now.

"I love you John, that will never change" you assured him, gently brushing your lips against his.

"I will always love you darling, there is nobody like you. Nobody could even begin to compare. It will always be you, it's always only ever been you" he told you, now you could feel the tears trailing down your cheeks.

"And now it's you...please John, live for me" you requested, kissing the man you loved one last time.

"I promise" he nodded as you pulled away.

John opened his mouth to say something but froze when your hands fell to your sides and your head hung limply to the side. He whispered your name a few times before your name became sobs and shouts. He tangled his fingers in your hair and pulled you into him again. He kissed your forehead before burning his face into the crook of your neck.

It was only then when he realised what you were actually asking of him. You wanted him to live for you...

You knew him better than anyone and you knew that your death would send him spiralling into his old habits, you wanted better for him. You weren't just asking him to do the things that you wanted to do, you just wanted him to live his life to the fullest. You didn't want him to destroy himself like he would've.

You knew that the only way John would continue and live his life is if he was doing for you.

John sobbed into your shoulder. "I won't let you down" he promised. John would live his life to honour your memory, he would do it for you. He would live for you because he can't live for himself.

Requests?