(3) Adoption Day - Logicality

Summary - It's the day Logan and Patton are planning to adopt their first child. Patton is very idealistic about it and enthusiastic, whereas Logan is a lot more cautious and slowly allows their son to open up.

Words: 1774

"Should we call the middle school before we get him?" Logan shouted from the bathroom where he was brushing his hair. He could hear the pattering of his husband's feet running around the house. Safe to say his husband, Patton, was over-excited about all this. They had been trying to adopt for almost 5 years and had finally met their perfect son. He was a little older than they expected but that didn't matter, they were ready for this.

Patton burst in the bathroom - the noise of the door slamming against the wall making the nerd jump. He had been doing a late shift at the hospital the previous night - he was head emergency medical doctor at the nearest hospital in the city while his husband was a paediatric nurse that had taken paternity leave the last few days. This meant his husband was always awake and energetic, while Logan was mostly half asleep. "Will he like this blanket Logie?" The excited blondie held a knitted black and purple blanket. Patton loved knitting and did it a lot as a past time, which was why they initially planned to adopt an infant, toddler or young elementary school child. But they were assigned an older child - and they had no right to say no.

"Remember he is 13 years old honey... He might want to be treated like an adult." He reached for his tie, preparing to take his time to tie it. He wanted to look the best for meeting the new member of his family. But Patton had a different idea and was trying to drag his husband away. 

"Pleeeaaase! Come on!" Patton screamed back, but struggling to drag the man opposite him. "We have to get there sometime today!" Patton was quickly silenced when Logan brought an arm around his waist, kissing him gently with his tie half done. In all honesty Logan was probably more nervous than his lover, this was his first time being responsible for a child and it was his child. Well, his and his amazing husband's. Patton fell into mush beneath him, holding onto Logan's tie before leaning away. "Are you excited sweetie?" He mumbled, kissing Logan's cheek.

Logan's soft smile was one of Patton's favourite things. "Very. I love you." Patton cupped his face, gazing up at him with an equally corny look of love and happiness. Today would be the most important day of their lives and they were doing it together.

"Really? I couldn't tell."

*****

Logan parked in the group home's car park, taking a deep breath. He had been shaking with nervousness the entire trip while his husband was clutching the purple blanket between his hands and shaking in excitement. When they left the car they held each other's hand, Patton was jumping up and down even as they met the social worker and went into the office for their last meeting with their new kid before he packs his bag and moves in.

The social worker was sat opposite the couple and letting them finish the last of the paperwork. Logan was struggling to write even his own name - Patton was trying to calm him with Dad jokes and puns. "Save a few for our son Pattoncake." Logan whispered, before hearing a knock at the door. The social worker stood and let the person in - and there he was.

A small early teen carrying a trash bag, wearing a completely black outfit with a giant purple hoodie. He could see Patton gasp realising the purple hoodie and hiding his purple blanket under the table. The teen looked shyly at the couple and then at his social worker. "Do I have to speak to them Scarlett?" The social worker, Scarlett, nodded and guided the teen further towards them. "Um... Hi - Logan, Patton." The teen, Virgil, had previously met the couple twice before so they weren't new people to him - but he wasn't exactly talkative.