(154) Don't Wake A Sleeping Baby - Roceit (and Remile)

Summary: Janus and Roman's newborn has been sleeping for 16 hours straight, and this worries them. But they are reassured by asking their old retired neighbours who gives them useful advice.

This is based off a story with my older sister when she was a baby - her sleeping schedule was something to be jealous of. Also old-couple Remile has my heart.

Words: 1145

Janus and Roman shared one brain-cell and sometimes that brain-cell went on vacation.

They were also new parents, having recently adopted an infant daughter called Alice (named after their favourite Disney character). And they loved it. They had spent so much time just the two of them in their two bedroom house but now they had a reason for the second bedroom. And Alice loved her Disney themed Montessori bedroom - maybe too much.

You see, Roman put Alice down for the night at 7pm, when Janus was finishing the last of his work and cooking dinner as he could multi-task like a pro. She was a little fussy going to sleep at first like always but eventually she calmed and entered dream-land. After dinner the fathers checked Alice was still peaceful, and indeed she was still asleep and she was breathing and healthy. They then made sure the baby monitor was turned on before going to bed themselves.

They then woke up at 9am due to Janus' alarm as he had to take the train to work, Roman didn't have to leave the house until noon. But the house was unusually quiet. "Do we have the baby monitor honey?" Janus grumbled, opening an eye to spot his husband also half-awake but his eyebrows were starting to furrow.

"I think so?" Roman mumbled in response, turning to his back and opening one of his eyes towards the accent table. There was no green-and-white baby monitor beside him. "Shit um..." Like a good protective father Roman woke up immediately and sat up, doing a quick survey and... "Oh no I put it on your side."

Janus grumbled and turned towards his accent table, immediately grabbing the small monitor and checking it over. While Janus was checking the monitor Roman ran to the next door nursery and examined their daughter. She was still asleep, breathing, and mumbled so cutely when she flinched from something in her dream. By the time Roman's eyes could be tempted away from their beautiful wonderland Janus was behind him also looking at the baby sleepily. 

"Have we just had our little one sleep through the night for the first time?" Janus smiled a goofy smile and wrapped his arms around his husband's waist, kissing his cheek. He was excited about this step in fatherhood - where he could actually get a decent sleep schedule before work. Roman was smiling too, softly, and stroking his lover's arm. Alice was definitely safe, this was just unusual.

"I'll keep a close eye on her, when will you be back from work?" Janus smiled more and blushed at the kiss on the lips. He loved being a dad with his soulmate.

"Train arrives at 5pm, but I'll get any transport earlier if you need me to." With that Janus returned the kiss on the lips and walked away to shower and get into his business suit. Roman walked out of the nursery for a moment to grab some breakfast cereal but decided to sit in the nursery until Alice woke up.

*****

Apart from it soon reached 11am and Alice was still fast asleep. Roman had showered, gotten dressed, and even packed his bag for work and the only movements Alice made were small shakes while she dreamt. It was really starting to worry Roman now, he didn't want to wake his angel up but at the same time he couldn't leave her in her bassinet all day.

The only option was to ask for advice, and he was glad he had people close-by he could ask. When Janus and Roman moved in together they were happily greeted by a retired couple, that had been married for forty-five years, and were happy to pitch in with babysitting once the two men started a family. That's where Alice went when both his fathers were at work.

"Roman!" The pensioner in pink cheered and grabbed Roman in a hug as soon as he knocked on the front door, but then he paused at the shock in Roman's face and the lack on infant accompaniment. "Oh, where's Alice sweetheart? Everything OK?"

Emile gently lead Roman into the living room, guiding him to sit on the sofa opposite the other pensioner, Remy, who was probably having his morning coffee. Roman placed the baby monitor beside him - but again it was silent. "What's the matter kiddo?" Remy coughed out and placed his coffee down, although quickly picked it up again as he could not satiate his coffee addiction at 76 years old.

"Jan and I put Alice to bed at 7pm, and she's not waking up! She slept through the night and she's breathing and dreaming - but I don't know if I should wake her up myself before work or just let you guys babysit round mine or..." Roman's speech was getting quicker by the minute as he tried explaining anything, Emile was helping him breath slower while Remy just cocked an eyebrow and blinked.

"You really want to wake a sleeping baby?"

"Yes! If she's hurt..." Roman's eyes were clouding over imagining his little girl hurt. He was meant to be a big, protective dad that will protect her from those things.

Luckily Emile was by his side to reassure him he was actually being a good dad. "She's not hurt, you're alright sweetheart. Sometimes babies so young do sleep for long times - trust me, any kid that we used Remy's genes for ended up sleeping no less than 12 hours at a time. It's only in the first few weeks that they shouldn't, and she should have been woken for breakfast but I don't think she's starving if she's dreaming!"

Roman looked over to the baby monitor again. It was still silent. Emile walked away to make a quick coffee for the visitor - and in that moment Roman finally heard the coo and cry of his amazing daughter through the little machine. "SHE'S AWAKE!"

As soon as Roman ran into the nursery he was greeted by the sparkling baby blue eyes of Alice, mumbling under her breath and waving her little legs and arms. "Did you have a good sleep my angel? Oh my God come here I was so worried..." Once Alice was in Roman's arms she calmed down a little, and calmed down completely once her milk was being made in the kitchen. Every single step Roman was kissing Alice's forehead and thanking her that she woke up, until he had to go to work and leave Alice in the care of Emile and Remy.

But she was awake and happy when Janus collected her in the early evening, and was very helpful while Janus cooked dinner as she was very shouty and giggly. She was even more giggly when Roman returned too. She was definitely fussed over until she felt sleepy again.