(64) I Speak, You Speak, We All Speak - Loceit (and Prinxiety)

Summary: Logan has a new kid in his class that doesn't seem to understand what's going on very well. He helps him understand the games and make friends, and that leads to their fathers making them family.

I've changed Janus' name to Janusz (pronounced 'ya-noosh' but it is the same name I believe) as that's the Polish version of the name and I think in other nearby countries. Also I started learning Polish around March 2020 so I'm by no means fluent and corrections are very welcome!

Words: 1269 (hehe)

"Now remember Lo, the adults around you don't have time to answer all of your questions. Leave a few for your Dad to answer at home." Virgil leant down to his five year old son, Logan, as they both stood outside the kindergarten. It was the semester after Easter so the child knew a lot of these things already - he just needed constant reminding. Logan was a curious kid, which was somewhat good but also overwhelming at points as Virgil was raising him alone. He wouldn't change it for the world though.

Logan nodded happily and skipped into the classroom, a book he had in his arms ready for show and tell. Children were chatting and running around like normal kids do - and that also usually meant Logan's favourite reading corner was empty.

It wasn't. At the edge of the reading corner was a child Logan had never seen before, hugging his legs and looking at everyone else terrified. He wore a yellow t-shirt decorated in ducks and held a long yellow teddy shaped like a snake.

The kindergartener remembered when he asked his dad what he needed to know for kindergarten just before he started. The one piece of advice his father gave was to talk to everyone, especially if they looked scared. Apparently Logan's father was quite a scared child himself and really wanted friends as a kid.

So Logan walked over and sat next to the scared person. "Hi! Who are you?" He chirped, but the person still looked scared and raised an eyebrow at him. Logan reached out his hand. "I'm Logan!"

"Hello." The boy said quietly, the 'h' slightly husky, but he shook the hand anyway. He then grabbed his teddy again and held it in front of him - he said the only animal name he knew in response to that. "Snake."

Even though Logan was confused why the new kid said the name of the toy animal he was holding with such confusion he nodded anyway. "Can I read to you?" He asked, whatever happened he'd make his father proud of him and get this boy to play with him. The boy nodded. Just as Logan was about to grab a book from the many shelves the teacher called the class to sit on the colourful carpet for lessons to begin. He ran to the rug and soon the boy followed too, sitting next to him.

"Good morning friends!" The teacher said in his usual ecstatic voice, placing his cat hoodie on a nearby chair and sitting with his students. Patton was Virgil's childhood friend and the main kindergarten teacher - so Logan was used to his eccentricities. As usual, everyone responded with a happy good morning - apart from the scared kid who just watched everyone confused. "We have a new buddy today - his name is Janusz." Patton ushered towards the child Logan just met - and finally he seemed to understand what was happening and waved. "I know you all will be super-duper nice won't you?"

Everyone nodded, including Janusz. The first lesson was learning about new words - which Logan always loved to do. He was the one to answer all the questions before everyone else. Meanwhile Janusz began sitting in a ball again, staring at the teacher but giving him a lost look.

Logan turned to his new friend, whispering to him. "We're learning the ch sound." Janusz still looked confused until Logan pointed at his mouth and made a 'ch' sound - then he copied. "Yeah! Like that!"

For the rest of the lesson Janusz kept his eyes on Logan and copied what he did rather than the confusing teacher. This included the games at recess and lunchtime although all the kids were speaking too quick for him to understand anything. Soon it got to the end of the day where the kindergarteners were allowed to play with anything. Logan looked around and then smiled at his friend. "What do you want to do?"

After a short pause Janusz pointed towards the bookshelves. "Książki?" He piped up - and this time Logan looked at him confused before realising where he was pointing.

"Shall we read together?"

Janusz pointed at Logan then himself. "You want me to read to you?" Logan inquired, and Janusz nodded again. So that's what the pair did. Janusz sat close to Logan and watched the words on the pages while Logan read aloud, Janusz pointed at some words and tried to copy. Logan was happy to correct or encourage his friend of course. He wanted to be a teacher when he grew up so adored all the questions Janusz had.

Soon Logan saw his father walk through the door. He ran up to his father straight away to show him the craft he made and tell him about his day, and it seemed Janusz was following as he went to a man just beside Virgil - they seemed to be speaking a gibberish only the pair of them understood. That didn't stop Logan from watching them and unleashing his deep desire to learn though.

"Ten chłopiec, tata. Ten chłopiec jest moim przyjacielem." Janusz spoke quickly, pointing at Logan and looking at who was presumably his father. The father had tanned skin, dark brown hair and blue eyes, sharp features but a wide smile. He wore a completely red suit and had a briefcase by his side so had presumably just come back from work. After some more babbling from the both of them the father approached Virgil and brought out his hand.

"Apparently your son was friendly with mine today. Thank you." The man said as the fathers shook hands. Janusz ran to be next to his friend and smiled widely at him. "I'm Roman Król, my son is Janusz."

It was clear Virgil was surprised to see this man talking to him. His face was red but he shook the hand enthusiastically, trying to gather himself. Virgil was never good at speaking to attractive men - that was the main reason he avoided them daily by being a very attentive father. He didn't expect his five year old to be a wingman.

"Uh... Does you son want to have a play date any time?" He managed to choke out. Roman gave him a confused look (that looked exactly like Janusz's).

"Date?" The father repeated, a small smile on his face. Fuck... How did Virgil convince himself he wasn't gay for the first 25 years of his life? Again, he managed to contain himself and laugh just in case this attractive man wasn't attracted to him and just misunderstood.

"Yeah. The kids can play together in my house. I can make you some tea or coffee?"

Roman smirked again, finally letting go of Virgil's hand and turning to his kid. "Chcesz bawić się z twoim przyjacielem?" He said, and Janusz excitedly nodded and grabbed Logan's hand - probably about to run outside so playing with his friend could begin quicker. "That's a yes." Roman laughed, Virgil still couldn't tear his eyes away from this new man.

*****

Three years later Logan and Janusz were watching Roman go on one knee in front of Virgil with a diamond ring after a surprise, spontaneous trip to see Phantom of the Opera. Both boys had wide smiles and looked at each other. "Jesteśmy braćmi." Janusz smirked, crossing his arms just as Logan did and speaking the language that he and his father spoke fluently, Logan and Virgil were learning though.

"We are brothers." Logan smiled back, before giving his new brother a celebratory hug.