(112) Skipping School With Friends - DLAMPR (like all of them are mates)

Summary: After getting upsetting news Logan, Roman, Virgil and Patton all decide to skip school together for the day and they meet an unlikely set of new friends.

TW - Mention of divorce at the very beginning and mention of religious schooling (Christian) - Janus is soft as hell though.

Words: 1690 (hehe funny number)

Patton walked on the bus and collapsed onto the creaky bus seat, covering his face with his beanie so he didn't cry. Today had already been a horrible day and the day hadn't even started yet. Why, you may ask? His parents had just revealed to him they were divorcing. They had tried their relationship for almost 20 years but now, when Patton was just 14 and his older sibling had moved to college, they decided they had enough.

At least Patton wasn't alone for long. At the next stop his neighbour Virgil arrived on the bus, and chat went quick between houses. "Hey Pat... You need a hug?" Virgil whispered and sat next to his best friend, revealing open arms which Patton immediately feel into. For the next two stops the two stayed like that waiting for their other two friends, Logan and Roman, who got the bus together.

The four boys had been best friends since the first day of elementary school, and even before. Patton and Virgil had been neighbours since they were toddlers or maybe even infants, and Roman and Logan were stepbrothers that met before their parents even met. The group were very different individuals but they all understood each other's quirks as if they were their own.

"I told you I deserve the last Crofters for my A in Social Studies!" Logan's shout to his stepbrother as he entered the bus signified the two other best friends were here - and that signifier was deemed true when Roman walked down the hallway raising a half-empty jar of jam to the ceiling and doing a triumphant walk. Logan followed behind carrying all the textbooks and reading books he needed.

"You always get an A!" Roman shouted back, before turning to his two friends and realising one of them was crying. "Shit - what happened Patty-Wat?"

"M-my parents are divorcing..." Patton managed to stutter out, covering his eyes with tissue paper as Roman and Logan sat behind him. The two stepbrothers peaked over, raising an eyebrow to each other and softly smiling.

"Well, I get how it's difficult right now..." Logan started. His parents divorced in first grade and he was a wreck, he understood what it was like to go through that trauma. "Things get better though. You might even get a very annoying step-brother." Logan poked Roman, who had stolen the precious strawberry jam and was inhaling it, sticking his tongue out in response.

Patton sniffled and leant against Virgil. "I just want my family back..." He whispered. He understood that his friends were trying to comfort him, especially since Logan still remembered what it was like when his parents divorced in first grade. It absolutely broke him - but that's what attracted curious Patton to become friends with him. Now it was fair to say Patton felt even more broken since he wasn't a naive six year old anymore - this had been building up for a while.

"You'll have your family still Pat. Just in two different places." Logan spoke gently again, now he had seemingly forgot about his jam argument to be a good friend. "And that's just one of your families - you have another family right here in terms of friends!"

Virgil had been annoying Roman with head flicks since he sat down but he spoke again once he heard his friendship group was apparently a family. "Bagsie emo teen brother."

"Logan's Mom." Roman joined in, getting a chuckle from Patton and Virgil and some kind of squeak he must have learnt to perform from his family. "What? Don't tell me you don't have a mom vibe when you forced me to clean my room last night."