(109) Telling Teddy - Roceit (and Analogical)

Summary: When Janus was first adopted at 7 years old he was given a small teddy to talk to about his troubles if he wasn't ready to talk to his parents. That teddy knows everything - including his new crush.

I've been a little busy lately as I had an exam today and I have a presentation early next week - so expect slow updates maybe until Christmas? I have a load of ideas saved as drafts I just haven't had the time to write them XD

Words: 1780

"Now I understand this is a big moment for you, and we'll go at the pace you need to be settled here. Don't feel stressed to calling us Dad or get used to the surname or anything like that..." Janus was stood in front of a kneeling gentleman dressed in a suit, the man had a small smile as he spoke gently through everything he needed to. This was weird - he'd never been in the care of two dads before. Maybe that's because it's due to his previous family and the huge scar on half his face, but with his therapy sessions he was now fine around certain men and was guaranteed to improve. Still, it was nice to see this man reassuring him there was no rush.

Behind this man was the other man, speaking quietly to the social worker and noting down anything he needed to (probably the list of creams Janus needed over half his body). Janus watched him for a while, and the man talking to him realised. "Do you want Virgil to come talk to you?" He chirped, quickly standing up and tugging his husband by the hoodie sleeve. Virgil immediately obeyed and also knelt down to Janus' height.

"Oh! Wait, Logan and I have a present for you..." The hoodie wearer chirped, his voice so soft and melodic as he reached into a backpack placed nonchalantly on the floor. After a few minutes he revealed a teddy in the shape of a snake from the bag, dressed in a simple yellow bow and a top hat. "I know it's a little childish, but we thought if you needed to talk to someone but you couldn't talk to us or your therapist, you have this teddy."

"Do you want to name him?" Logan looked at the elementary schooler so proudly as the child just watched the teddy confused for a moment. The snake needed to have a good name - a great name even - in order to satisfy Janus' bond to it.

"Can I call it Snake Boi?"

*****

Screaming woke Janus up from bed and he sighed to himself. It was Patton's screams. His dads, Logan and Virgil, had recently adopted a little brother for the now pre-teen Janus - a toddler called Patton. Unfortunately, he also had a traumatic past like Janus so suffered greatly from night terrors and woke up at random points in the night.

Janus climbed out of bed and sat at his desk, maybe he should do some homework while waiting for the noise to stop. He opened a mathematics textbook and kept his head down - maybe soon Logan would come help him with said homework as he was good with numbers and stuff. But right now both Virgil and Logan were outside Janus' door discussing a plan of action to reassure Patton back to bed.

After a few minutes the geometry was deemed impossible though so Janus closed the book. He sighed, rubbing the side of his face that didn't still hurt and turning back to his bed. It seemed comforting to lie down there but there was no use to that, but his eyes did glue onto the small teddy laying under the covers.

He decided the best action would be to grab Snake Boi and place him on his desk for motivation. Once Janus reached around 9 or 10 years old he didn't need to talk to Snake Boi every single day like he used to - his dads were quite laid back people so he warmed up to them quickly. The only times Janus talked to Snake Boi in the last year or so were life changing moments. Or moments where he was extremely bored.

"You can hear that too right Snakey?" Janus laughed and faced the teddy with his palms cupping his face. The teddy said nothing of course, but Janus continued. "Yeah... Pat's good when it's daytime. He's kinda cute actually..." It was quite late so Janus' thoughts weren't exactly gathered - he was just speaking whatever thought or emotion came to mind. "He tried helping me with homework yesterday by shouting random letters while I was writing a book report on A Long Walk To Water..." A laugh and smile escaped as Janus remembered the smiling toddler's face - he had only been his brother for a few months but the world already seemed brighter with Patton in it. He really was a special kid.