(178) A House of Two Worlds - Logicality

Summary: In a world of magic, Patton is born with magic and Logan is not. As societies work - this brings discrimination (oh joy), and the couple have to battle against it.

Words: 1976

Some people have magic, and some people don't. That was the fact of the society these people lived in. What wasn't a fact was that those with powers were better than those that weren't - and therefore should be given more opportunities to thrive and those that didn't have magic needed to 'work for their place'.

Patton grew up with two magic parents, one an animal whisperer that became a vet and another a shapeshifter that was a famous TV personality. When he became four years old his power came - the power to heal. From then on he was given every opportunity to go into the world of medicine from expert teachers to internships galore, and he became a paediatric doctor straight out of high school since he didn't need a medical license.

Logan, on the other hand, was one of the unlucky ones. He only had a mother, not a father as the pair's relationship wasn't built to last through Logan's infancy. His mother couldn't get a job so Logan had to live meal to meal and get a job as soon as he could to help his family. He always found doctors honourable and wished he could be one - but there was always one question that stopped him.

One of Logan's first jobs after high school was a janitor at a hospital, so maybe he could get the chance to show himself and get a job. There was one day where Logan was brooming the hallway, and in the distance he saw a young man his age, dressed in a doctor uniform, fixing a scratch that someone made on the wall. Great - another person with magic to steal his job.

The young man didn't seem to be paying attention to the hallway and walked straight, bumping into Logan. "Oh! So sorry sweetie, you must have invisibility as your power!"

Logan rolled his eyes and sighed. "I was just in your way. I apologise." He wasn't really sorry but he knew he couldn't start an argument with someone magic - that was a sure way to get hurt.

"What are you doing with that?" The young man pointed at the brown broom Logan was using to sweep. Logan wouldn't be surprised if he had never seen a cleaning device before. He was about to roll his eyes again before a certain glance trapped him, this man had beautiful blue eyes... Well, hopefully this person didn't have a 'fall in love' power too.

"I'm cleaning? I'm the janitor." The man looked at Logan confused with a tilt of the head - maybe this was an angel coming down to give him a chance at living his dream life? "I'd love to be a doctor, but no-one wants to give me a shot."

"Well, what's your power?"

There was the question. Somewhat more than 45% of the population didn't have powers, but apparently that still seemed impossible for the lucky few to believe non-powered people were still out there. "I don't have one. I was born without. But I've still read all the books you're reading now."

He must have met an angel because the man smiled and brought out a hand. "Well, I'm Patton. And I'll see what I can do."

Part of Logan thought this would be the beginning of his dream career, although he knew that was unrealistic. He didn't expect Patton to fall in love with him though, and he was overjoyed to have a relationship with someone so desired by society. The pair did all the milestones together: going on dates, moving in together, getting married. Logan could even quit all his jobs so he could fully relax and teach Patton anything he needed to know about medicine. He tried becoming a teacher - but the kid with a magic power that meant they couldn't forget anything got the job instead.

One evening the married couple were laying in bed and Patton was talking about what he knew about the science of his power. "I know I can change the properties of objects to keep cells alive, and I read someone who had a similar power to mine keeping a fertilised egg alive though a balloon as a covering that got bigger and bigger." Logan chuckled at the idea of a baby being born that way, and then paused. They had never really discussed having a family before.