(57) The Next Step - Intrulogical

This could be a sequel to the 'Stolen Books' chapter - so I'll keep the name Nova for the daughter but I might change it to a different name later idk. If you have read those chapters before feel free to read them again so you're all caught up in the world XD.

Summary: Remus and Logan have been dating for a while and Remus absolutely adores Logan's daughter Nova. There's no tutorial for how relationships work though, especially when there's already a young life involved, and Remus isn't that used to relationships. 

Words: 1748

"Fried rice for my favourite rascal!" Remus shouted, placing the meal he'd just cooked on the dining table and grabbing Logan's daughter for a larger than life hug. The girl giggled loudly as she was tickled and Remus could see his boyfriend out the corner of his eye smiling calmly but with absolute love in his eyes. He could never forget that look.

"Is this a new recipe you found Remus? Or did Roman learn it at work and you stole the idea?" Logan chirped, first getting a serving for his daughter and then his partner and lastly himself. Logan was maybe the most selfless person Remus knew - or he just wasn't a food hoarder.

"Roman willingly gave it to me!" Remus said proudly as he kissed Logan's cheek. Nova also sat down as she got her serving and started shovelling it happily in her mouth. She was making her new t-shirt messy but Remus had managed to teach her hyper-clean father to not care and relax about those sort of things. Instead of trying to stop her Logan grabbed Remus' hand and smirked at him.

Nova seemed to watch the boyfriends hold hands and then chirped. "When are you two going to get married?" She asked, the question automatically making Logan blush and squeeze his boyfriend's hand. Nova used to ask the question all the time when she was a toddler - it only started again recently. Remus also coughed gently, pretending it to be on his food, as he didn't even know how to handle the marriage question. Being a boyfriend still felt so new. "Come on! You've been dating for almost 4 years!"

After a few seconds of awkward silence Logan finally had the courage to speak. "Some relationships go slower than others Nova... We aren't ready for marriage yet." Logan always spoke so clearly to his daughter and everything was even more understandable whenever he said it. And he was grateful he could speak for his boyfriend too, because he knew it was Remus that was scared about going quick. Sure he had known Remus since college and Nova since she was born but he was scared of everything involved with the next steps in their relationship. It felt like he had just kissed his crush in the rain 3 minutes ago and now everyone around him was married and being parents and had their lives together.

He started to feel that way when Virgil proposed to Patton four months into Remus and Logan's relationship. As Patton was Logan's childhood friend he heard every single detail about the preparations for the wedding, and also got constant nudges about how he could marry Remus someday. The married couple then adopted three kids called Leo, Thomas and Gavin that were now Nova's best friends. Yet Remus still lived with his brother rather than his boyfriend and every forward movement felt like an immense pressure into a life he was scared about.

So unsurprisingly when Remus went to bed alone that night his mind was still wondering what to do. Was the relationship healthy? He hoped so, he adored Logan with every fibre of his being and had since they were 18. He wanted to do all the typical relationship things with the person he loved but there was always something holding him back. What if they annoyed each other eventually? What if they fell out of love as quickly as they realised their love for each other? And most importantly - what if he actually became a bad father to Nova if he was with her all the time?

Remus' quick thoughts immediately silenced when his phone vibrated - from Logan.

Hey My Duke, Nova's school has just cancelled classes tomorrow (something about the plumbing) but the high school is still in action - can you take care of her tomorrow?