(9) Not What I Wanted - Moxiety

Summary: After a recent death of Patton's family member, he takes in his young cousin to avoid the negatives of foster care on his young relative. His boyfriend and lifetime cat-dad doesn't much like the idea of children though.

TW - Death, talk about foster care and anger/panic attack (this is probably as angsty as chapters would get)

Words: 1469 (hehe XD)

Virgil only went to churches to attend funerals. That might sound quite sad but he didn't mind - it's not like he went to funerals that often. He wasn't even invited to this funeral, he was just waiting in the church car park for his boyfriend to emerge and be in need of cuddles.

He did know who the funeral was for - Patton's cousin who was about the same age as them had just died. He didn't know how and didn't want to bother his boyfriend with it. He just wanted to support him through this tough time. The three had grown up relatively close, she was the one to suggest the pair began dating (even though that was in freshman year of high school, and they only started dating sophomore year of college). Patton was excited to invite her to the wedding he and Virgil would inevitably have, but that wasn't going to be possible now.

Virgil was dragged out of his thoughts by knocking on his car window. Patton probably wanted a large hug before going home - or there were some relatives that wanted to see him. He hoped he didn't have to talk to anyone as he wasn't in the mood. "What's the matter cupcake?" Virgil said as he opened the door - only stopping when he realised the small being beside Patton's hip.

"Virgil, meet Milo - Milo, meet Virgil." Patton chirped shyly, and the child looked up at Virgil sucking his thumb. Both Milo and Patton had bloodshot eyes and snuffly noses. But Virgil didn't know this child. "Can he stay for a while Stormy?"

Although Patton would probably be the type to kidnap a child in need - that probably wouldn't be at a funeral. The child looked a lot like Patton with long strawberry blond hair and deep blue eyes that Virgil often got lost in throughout his life of knowing Patton. He nodded and mumbled a 'sure', opening the car door for his boyfriend and this strange kid. Patton ran off again for a few seconds, talking to one of his relatives who gave him a lime green car seat.

The pair soon returned to their one bedroom apartment. It was a cheap place with a few holes in the walls (covered by posters) and peeling plaster. But it was good enough for the boyfriends - and their three cats. "Nightmare, Burton, Sir Fluffybutt! We're home!" Virgil shouted into the flat to the black, grey and white cat respectively. The cats were Virgil's sons. He'd had the American shorthair Burton since he was a high schooler, then when he moved out his family home he adopted the black stray Nightmare. Sir Fluffybutt was Patton's Persian cat that joined the pack when they moved in together. "You didn't destroy the sofas did you?" Virgil immediately put on a baby voice, stroking two of the cats that were lying on the sofa. The third jumped on his lap as soon as he sat.

"Kitty?" Milo whispered curiously and walking up to Virgil. It was definitely a more quiet reaction than Patton - but that might be because of where he'd been less than an hour before. Virgil smiled softly but didn't move his hand from the cats.

"Do you want to play with one of them Mimi?" Patton cheered, dotting a tissue under his eyes and grabbing a cat toy. Milo ran over with wide eyes. When the treat packet was shook both Burton and Nightmare ran over. Nightmare and Burton were the playful cats whereas Sir Fluffybutt stayed on Virgil's lap and watched.

Milo was perfectly entertained for a while playing with the cats. But dinner had to be made, and Virgil really wanted the time to comfort his boyfriend alone and spend some much deserved time with him. While Patton was getting the bowls and plates to cook Virgil walked over to Milo, kneeling down to him with a faked but realistic looking smile. "Hey kid, when's your Mom coming to pick you up? Are you having dinner with u-"

Before Virgil could finish speaking Milo burst into loud tears, making Patton rush over.

"Milo! It's alright buddy..." Patton picked up the little boy in a hug. Virgil stood straight again with a confused expression, unsure whether to comfort the boy or step back. Patton seemed to glare at his boyfriend somewhat angrily and sighed. "How about you play with Burton some more? I need to talk with my boyfriend kiddo."

Milo nodded and went back to the cat toys, and Patton dragged Virgil into their bedroom. "Don't say that to him Vergie! He's still very upset..."

"Wait, no, rewind. How long are we taking care of this kid?" Virgil growled, frantic hand expressions making his arms flail. Patton seemed to look nervous at that point, looking away and to the closed brown door. The room suddenly felt too small for the two of them. "Pat... Whose kid is Milo?"

"Lily's..." Patton whispered, the tone a lot sadder. Lily was the cousin who had just died, she was a year older than the boyfriends. Virgil remembered hearing about Lily having a kid but they didn't visit each other often at that point as Lily had moved to a new city. "She tried to get in touch with the father as she was..." Patton avoided the tears and skipped the following word. "But there was no luck. She placed us to take care of Milo in her will. She knew we'll be good parents for him!"

Patton was always so hopeful and naive. "Pat..." Virgil grumbled, pacing back and forth once before sitting at the bottom of the bed with his hands on his face. "When were you going to tell me that? We're still in college Pat, you remember that? Sure we're graduating this summer but we still can't fucking adopt a kid!" Now emotions were overtaking Virgil, his voice was getting louder and the desire to punch something was getting stronger.

"We can still do it kiddo! You and me, together. We love each other and that's the most powerful force!"

"Don't call me kiddo Pat you know how I hate that." Virgil snapped, and Patton immediately silenced realising how angry Virgil was getting. He was soon standing up and pacing again. "I can't believe you... I had no part in this huh? You always say I'm the most important person in the world when I'm having a panic attack but it takes one shitty piece of paper from a relative for you to chuck all that out the window!"

"Stop..." Patton could eventually mumble, taking sharp breaths and letting the tears fall freely. Virgil silenced too, all the anger dissipating when he saw the results of him not thinking before speaking. "I'm sorry! I love you, I do! I just couldn't handle Milo going through this alone..."

Virgil's arms wrapped around his boyfriend, kissing his neck, and counting aloud slowly so Patton could slow his breaths. Patton clutched onto him - the feeling comforted him too. Eventually he sighed, and Patton spoke. "We can put him into foster care if you'd like. I don't want to upset you, you're more important to me. I love you."

From what Virgil could remember of Lily, she was infinitely caring. She was like an older sister to him. And the thought of Patton's last memory of her, the small Milo, going into foster care made Virgil angry again. He had heard what foster care was like from friends and family himself and would want any kid to avoid that. Virgil separated from Patton's hug and cupped his cheeks. "Are we going to have help?" Virgil whispered, and Patton nodded.

"My Mom and Aunt say she can help us find a bigger apartment or a house, and Lily gave her inheritance to whoever takes care of Milo." Patton chirped quieter back, pecking Virgil's lips. His tone was still sort of sad.

Virgil nodded, just holding Patton in his arms and staring at him happily for a second. "Let's try..." Virgil whispered, before hearing a knock at the door. "Milo? You can come in kid!"

Milo revealed himself behind the door. "I'm sorry..." He mumbled at first, still crying. Virgil smiled and picked him up in response, ruffling his hair. 

"Don't be kid, it's not your fault at all. Let's just have an eternal sleepover little guy!"

And with that Virgil, Patton and Milo began bonding. Patton's family helped a lot when the couple had classes - also taking Milo to school for them so they didn't have to get up extra early. And it only took a year for Virgil and Patton to formally adopt the little boy - and they tied the knot soon after to let Milo be ring-man.