(18) 'Trouble Child' - Moceit

Summary: Patton and Janus get a train back from the city with their son after a fun day out. There are always some people that ruin it though.

TW: Autism (Logan has autism - this is just how I behave though so not universal for everyone)

Words: 1025

"I think we should get a guided tour of the National History Museum next time Pat..." Janus whispered, dodging all the busy people around them and keeping an eye on their teenage son Logan. Logan was trying to shelter himself from the noise with his headphones and staring at his feet which rhythmically hit the floor. Janus lingered behind for a moment to walk beside his son, he hated large crowds.

"Is Logie alright?" Patton also went beside his son. Neither of the fathers wanted to bother their son, just make sure he was reassured. Logan must have heard Patton's question as he nodded, hearing the question through his headphones. The three walked quietly to the station and got on the train back home - the day out in the city was fun for all of them. Logan eventually had the courage to speak, although in a whisper as he put the headphones around his neck.

"I liked the planet exhibit..." He whispered, fiddling with his fingers and looking at his fingers instead of his Dads. Patton sat next to Logan, blocking him from the aisle in case that made him nervous, and Janus was opposite his son with a wide smile. Janus had the day off work so decided to have a family day out in the capital city of their country - a few good hours from where they lived - to see all the museums and tourist attractions. "Textile museum was nice too..."

Patton giggled and reached over to hold his husband's hand, remembering Logan's joyful stims trying on all the ties and old suits from the Victorian era. The teenager was never proud of his stims, when he was first adopted he used to hide them or avoid things that caused them but slowly Patton and Janus reassured him that it was alright.

All of a sudden there was a large crash sound somewhere in the carriage. Janus and Patton looked around for the source of the noise and found a fallen suitcase, soon being sorted by the owner. But that one noise seemed too much for Logan as he swiftly put his headphones on again and shook his head.

"Take deep breath buddy." Janus whispered, making sure his hand was in Logan's view but also making sure not to touch him. But then voices began speaking and the carriage made noises again - and all that was too much. He clasped his headphones further into his ears and groaned loudly, loud enough to 'disturb' the lady the other side of the aisle. As soon as Patton and Janus saw her they knew they were in for trouble.

The lady at first giggled to seem non-threatening. "Is that a moody teenager or some kind of these 'mental illnesses'." The lady exaggerated the last two words which made both fathers physically cringe. "Which one of you is the father? You both seem so young for a high school boy!"

"We're both the father!" Patton cheered happily. His remedy for awkward situations with bad people was always toxic positivity. Janus hated it when he first met Patton in high school - first he had all these weird feelings of love he never felt for a guy and that guy was so amazingly positive. But then he eventually learnt Patton was an amazing boyfriend and husband and he wouldn't change the positivities for the world.

The lady looked even more disgusted at that and rolled her eyes. Nearby passengers were watching the altercation, a few giving sympathetic looks and others pretending they never heard anything. "Oh... That's probably why he's a trouble child. He needs a mother in his life to give him reassurance."

"He's just fine with us." Janus eventually snapped, getting the newspaper out of his bag and placing it on the table between him and his son. Logan reached for the paper and crumpled the edges, his way of focusing and calming down.

"And now he's destroying what you're reading! He needs help, I tell you."

"You don't need to tell us anything..." Patton mumbled, his voice almost a growl. Toxic positivity only went a short way, especially when it came to his family. His family meant everything. "And any help he needs he's getting by his two fathers who love him. It's that simple."

The lady did an astonished gasp at that, her hand on her chest as if the two fathers had commit a hate crime. For the rest of the journey the family ignored the rude woman as she spewed hate, eventually a kind stranger told her to shut up and Logan got the courage to speak again. "Can we go to the Charles Dickens Museum next time Dad?" Logan whispered to Janus who smiled and nodded, happy to see his son talking. When Logan was first adopted he struggled socially and academically in mainstream school - so luckily Patton felt secure and happy enough to quit his job as a Kindergarten teacher and devote his time to fully homeschool their son. Janus coming on their 'field trip' was just a bonus. 

Just as the rude lady began glaring again Patton smiled at her, silently asking for permission to hug his son - which he agreed to by leaning in. "I love you kiddo, remember that." He giggled, squeezing his boy's cheek and then leaning over and basically making out with his husband. Logan giggled at that and rolled his eyes at the woman.

"Lovebirds, amirite?" Logan spoke to the rude woman clearly, making the lady couldn't even look more shocked if she tried. Maybe she was surprised Logan could speak so well to strangers, or speak at all, but he was relatively alright being a human if he wasn't stressed. His parents were still making out, Logan watched them for a second feeling a sudden burst of courage to do something he had never done before. He was usually quite secretive about his disability, even though it was obvious at times. "Oh, and I'm autistic - not a 'trouble child'." The family soon reached their stop back home - Janus and Patton stopped making out and walked away like nothing happened. "Have a good day ma'am."

Janus brought his arm around his son with a proud smile. "Well, that was a first. Proud of you boy."