(66) Meet The Parents - Logicality and Demus

Summary: Janus and Remus have a very extroverted son that they sent to college expecting him to make the normal college mistakes - not find his forever soulmate. Now, it's winter and it's time to meet said soulmate.

Sentimental emotional father Janus is adorable and I wanted to give that a go XD

Words: 1500

Janus was cleaning the entire house. The husbands weren't the cleanest couple in their 30 year marriage but they managed to not kill any kids that came through their doors. But they were preparing to host their youngest son, Patton, and a very important visitor. His boyfriend. "How many times do you think they fucked Jan?" Remus shouted from the kitchen. Janus pulled the most disgusted squished face he could muster.

"I don't want to think about that with my baby son Remus." Janus mumbled, glancing at the photos of baby Patton in a light blue t-shirt surrounded by his older siblings and parents. Patton always adored his family and it was a huge shock when he moved from home. 

That's why the couple was unsure whether to be surprised or not that Patton got himself a boyfriend pretty much as soon as he enrolled in college. His parents hadn't seen much of this boy - only a grainy picture on his pastel blue polaroid - but they had heard many stories. But because of Patton's love of his family it was established the boyfriend would meet his parents quickly to get their approval.

"What's his name again? Louis?" Remus chirped, making some stew (the only thing he could cook) for the feast of four the couple were preparing for.

"I think Logan. Some frat boy name." Janus perked his head up to say back, trying to remember any substantial detail Patton told him about this boyfriend. "I hope this kid isn't a frat boy."

The thought of Janus' little boy being cheated on or heartbroken by a frat boy made an anger erupt through his veins and the fork placing to become a bit more violent. He hoped this wasn't a 'frat boy flirted with me so we're in love' situation but he also knew his son was a hopeless romantic. He'd been imagining his soulmate all his life, he just hoped some stupid cheater hadn't taken advantage of that. He'd hate for his little boy to be hurt.

"Hey! I was a frat boy at one point dimwit." The slap at the back of his head then kiss on his cheek awoke Janus from his thoughts, also realising he had given each seating place two forks. "And you fell in love with a frat boy..." Remus' lingering hands was not helping the situation of Janus imagining this frat boy only using his darling son for his body.

"That was different - no-one wanted to do anything with you. What if this boy is the hottest man in town?" Janus' thoughts were always wondering, but this time they were chaotic. The only thing that calmed him was Remus' lips on his and watching his smile afterwards.

"If he's the hottest man in town then our son deserves him, if he's a dick the only thing Logan deserves is my mace." Janus sure did adore his more on-edge partner. Willingness to protect his family was one of the reasons. Nevertheless Janus knew he had to take a deep breath and hold his husband close. They had already judged two girlfriends, a loveperson and a queer platonic partner - what would a boyfriend added to the list do? They could manage this.

Patton's excited knocks were distinguishable, and he was definitely at the door. Remus ran to the door and opened it in a rush. The first thing Janus did, without even looking at this boyfriend he was supposed to judge, was run up to his son and give him a larger than life hug. The cheery college student accepted it happily before pulling away and turning to the person behind him. "Dads, you need to meet Logan!"

Behind Janus and Remus' baby boy was a tall, gentle looking man only holding a soft smile and waiting on the doorstep. He had chestnut brown hair and dark blue eyes, square glasses and wore a simple black button-up with a tie for this first meeting. But looks could deceive, so Janus kept his guard up.

Remus, however, seemed very excited about this new person. "Oooh! You scored a cute nerd Patty-Wat! Good going!" Remus had wide eyes while watching this new boy, chatting to his son as if he was a college student himself judging his frat brother's flirting tactic. Logan smiled along and then reached his hand forward towards Janus.

"Good evening Mr Greene-Summers - it's good to finally meet you." He had only known of Patton's existence for a quarter of a year, slow down the compliments kid.

Luckily the timer stopped Janus from unleashing his bitten tongue - indicating Remus' thanksgiving stew was ready. "Food! And Logan - you're next to me." Remus winked at Logan and disappeared. They sat at the dining table in silence, only Logan and Patton whispering to each other. Patton was watching Logan with absolute love in his eyes as he spoke; Logan looked at his food unbothered. No-one acts unbothered around his little boy... "How did you meet my son?" Janus snapped, trying to hide his distaste but ultimately failing. The new man looked up and smiled softly again - his shoulder moved slightly which indicated he was probably holding Patton's hand.

"Well, we were in the same psychology class." A look of love finally showed on Logan's face as he glanced at Patton and gave him a kiss on the forehead. Remus looked insanely proud of his son as he absorbed the food he made and served everyone else with leftovers of what he'd already snuck in. "Your son is certainly very intelligent."

"So you thought our boy wasn't smart when you first met him?"

Logan's eyes widened in shock and his cheeks became pink. "Of course not, I'm just hoping to major in psychology and become a teacher so I was happy to see Patton's excitement to learn." Patton was an art major, Janus would hate for anyone to underestimate his son in any way. "I can assure you, your son is perfect in every way."

Patton giggled and his cheeks pinked. His eyes had not left his boyfriend the entire dinner yet. He thought he'd love to see his son so love-smitten - but not when the person he was smitten about was like this.

The rest of the meal wasn't exactly peaceful; Janus asking Logan about everything from where he was planning to be in five years to what his relationship with his parents was like. Logan answered all the questions happily and politely, Patton was sneaking kisses whenever possible and sometimes Logan returned them.

After the meal Logan had his arm around Patton's shoulder, something that Patton obviously loved by his glowing eyes. "This was a great meal, thank you so much for inviting me." 

"Pleasure's all ours." Remus cheered back. He was also completely under Logan's spell - whatever that was - but Janus was a bit more cautious. 

Remus wanted to show Logan all of Patton's old baby pictures. Patton reluctantly agreed to it, lagging behind but was soon torn away from his boyfriend by his father. He seemed excited though, even when he saw his father's disappointed face. "Do you like him Dad? Logan's really so sweet..."

"I don't like his vibe." Janus was always honest with his kids and husband, and right now he was glaring in the direction Logan went with his arms crossed. "Something's... off about him."

"Why?" Patton tilted his head with a slight pout. The father could never stop seeing the little cute toddler Patton was years ago when Janus could just hold him and protect him from people he didn't like the vibe of. He knew college would be difficult for his protectiveness - not this difficult.

"I just... I don't know." He scowled, hating the fact he had adult children now. He knew he needed to let go if he had no reason to hate this new person Patton loved. "Promise he's good enough for you?"

"He's perfect for me. Trust me, I know the warning signs and there are none."

Unsurprisingly Patton soon gave his father a hug, and then spouted everything about every date and nice thing that had happened in the couple's short relationship. And to hear it come out of his son's mouth... It was reassuring. This kid was good for Patton, perfect in fact. Patton was in good hands.

Patton could hear Logan chuckling from the other room and Remus dramatically reconstructing every moment of his youngest son's life that was captured in the photos. The soft smile Patton gave his boyfriend reassured Janus again that it was alright to let go.

Logan was invited again for the following years as Patton went from his boyfriend to his fiance to his husband. A couple grandkids came too, and they were always welcomed. Janus let his guard down and became quite good friends with his son-in-law (they often chatted about philosophy theories they read about). But Logan fit right in, and he loved Patton deeply.