(6) Babysitting Duty - Demus (and Logince)

Summary: Remus and his boyfriend Janus are asked persuasively to care for Remus' brother's new baby while the fathers go on a date night. They have no idea how children work.

Words: 1208

"His bedtime is 7:15pm and he needs one warm bottle before bed, his dinner is mushed carrot and is in the fridge - heat the microwave for exactly 1 minute and then stir it before putting it in..." Remus' brother in law, Logan, was chatting on and on about his (and his boyfriend's) duty as a babysitter. Logan's husband was Remus' twin brother, Roman. Roman seemed a lot more calm about this babysitting task, placing their son Mason in the baby swing and shaking a rattle. The married couple were going out for the evening for their anniversary to see a movie and stay at a hotel in the city - and had left Remus and his boyfriend to make sure their newly adopted baby doesn't die.

"We should get to driving mon ami." Roman leaned over and kissed Logan's cheek to silence him. Logan nodded and reached out to Mason. Mason held his finger and gurgled, making him smile softly. Roman quickly dragged him away before he could worry again and soon the pair were out of the door.

Remus turned to his boyfriend, Janus. Janus was staring at Mason from the sofa - an eyebrow raised and his lip being bit in thought. Remus had only been dating Janus for a year - and this was what their date had become. Mason tried to chew one of the toys on the swing and giggled to himself - seeming not to care about the fact his parents had left. He did seem to have his eyes glued to the door.

"What do we do with him?" Janus eventually mumbled, meeting eyes with Mason. The two stared at each other confused for a moment.

"Uh... Make sure he doesn't put forks in electrical sockets?" Remus sat next to Janus, and Janus put his arm around him. It was complete silence for just a moment, Remus shut his eyes and smiled absorbing Janus' warmth - then Mason started crying loudly. "Shit! Um..." He ran to Mason straight away and picked him up, but that didn't stop the crying. Mason just kept on pointing at the front door and screaming. "It's alright little guy... They're just gone for tonight..."

Nothing Remus said calmed the baby down, only made him louder. Logan might be able to hear his son from whichever road he was on, and would be panicking, but both babysitters knew Roman was looking forward to this getaway date and wouldn't allow Logan to turn the car around. 

"Hey, Mace, look!" Janus suddenly appeared in front of his boyfriend, holding a small black ball with glowing stars on it. Definitely something Logan would buy. Mason was watching it curiously as Janus shook the ball in front of his face. When he was placed on the floor with said ball he seemed intrigued to touch it and push it around. Then the family cat, Duchess, appeared from around the corner also watching the ball. "I... I think I got him playing with a cat toy." Janus giggled, the pair sitting on the sofa again as Duchess and Mason began playing with the ball together.

"It got him quiet, he has Roman's lungs." Remus chuckled back. He gave his boyfriend a kiss, and he smiled softly. They put on a movie, but watched the baby play more than focus on the TV in front of them. The couple understood why Logan and Roman were so obsessed with their child - he was gurgling and giggling and screaming and it was all so adorable.

An hour or so into the evening Mason started to cry again, crawling over to the couple still watching movies on the sofa. Both men expected him to crawl over to Remus - Remus was there for his adoption and had come to visit several times before whereas Janus was a completely new person. Surprisingly though, Mason grabbed onto the ends of Janus' suit trousers and dragged himself up to pat Janus' knees. "What's wrong little boy?" Janus whispered, picking the baby up and sitting him on his lap. "I think it's time for food huh?" Mason mumbled an agreement and the two cuties left to go to the kitchen. Remus followed - seeing his boyfriend with a baby was the best thing in the world.

Can a gay guy have baby fever? Because that's what he was feeling watching the two together. He wanted to put a ring on the man opposite him's finger and adopt a dozen infants just to watch Janus give the fond, cute look to something that was theirs. Janus quickly dissolved into a baby voice, microwaving the mushed carrots and joking with the adorable baby. Mason was finally giggling and watching Janus with as much adoration as he watched his Dads.

"Ba!" Mason shouted, pointing towards the microwave as Janus placed his food in.

"Yeah, you almost got it! It's pronounced mic-ro-wave but ba would do!"

"Ba!" Mason pointed to Remus with a large smile, making Remus finally approach and ruffle the limited hair on his little head. "Ba!"

"That's Uncle..." Janus responded again slowly, making sure to stand close to Remus. Mason tried to reach out to tug on Remus' beard. Neither of his fathers had facial hair so he was very confused by the bush of black hair on the face opposite him. "Uncle has a beard kid..." Janus whispered, trying to drag the mischievous fists away so that Remus wasn't hurt by such a small cute thing.

"Uh..." Mason mumbled a response again, then giggling. Janus kissed his boyfriend on the cheek and sighed happily. "Uh!"

"Uncle?" Remus chuckled quietly but slowly, watching Mason's confused expression trying to figure out the sounds. Janus seemed to immediately understand what was going to happen - clutching his phone and starting a video at a decent camera angle so the viewer could see Janus, Remus and Mason. "You can do it sport - Uncle?"

"Uck-Ah!" Mason flailed his arms around after saying the word, smiling and giggling. Remus could squeeze him until all the air went out his lungs, but he won't, Mason was too adorable for that. "Uck-Ah-L!"

"Almost... Uncle?" Remus couldn't stop smiling at this, pronouncing the n sound even more and wiggling Mason's arms for him.

"Unk-Ah!"

"Close enough. We should save the end result for when the Dads come home..." Janus whispered after that try. Mason was placed in a Disney themed high chair and given the mashed carrots which he ate with his hands. He didn't stop screaming 'Unk-Ah' every time he saw Remus and was congratulated each time. Bedtime was relatively easy, and watching Janus try to sing a lullaby made Remus fall in love even more.

Needless to say when Logan and Roman returned home they were fangirling over their son's first word, and Logan refused to let his 'berry-boo' go the rest of the day. But Remus didn't mind, it got even Janus talking about having a family some time in the future. That one babysitting gig showed that Remus and Janus were in a committed relationship rather than a long fling, and it only took another two years for Janus to propose and the two of them to begin their journey into parenthood themselves.