(138) Valentine Chocolates Part 2 - RemyxRoman (and Parental Moceit)

Summary: Roman is an awkward teen with an even more awkward crush on a popular boy in his classes. The only solution he can think of is to ask his father, and he loves asking the father that doesn't share his vulnerable side that often.

Little continuation of my Valentine's Day chapter because oh my God is this particular Moceit AU just adorable to think about.

Words: 1290

Roman often fell in love, there was never a question about that, but this time it was different. This time the person Roman adored to no end wasn't a Kpop idol or TV show character but it was instead an actual, real life person. Not even a YouTuber or Twitch streamer. It was an actual living being in his high school who was the most popular person in his grade. A boy called Remy.

So after school one day Roman had enough of keeping this silly little crush to himself. Remy was so cute today, he brought an extra Starbucks into school for the new English teacher that was going through a break up. Who couldn't fall in love with someone that nice?

"Dad I need your help." Roman marched determined into his father's office, a dark brown room covered in countless legal books and documents. His father, Janus, was glaring at his laptop but looked up for a second with a confused expression.

"You only come to me when you've actually messed up, did you kill someone?" The father shuffled through his papers. Usually his husband was the one to enjoy random chats when Janus was in the office, Janus helped with homework and discipline if needed (but it hardly ever was).

"I crushed someone!" Even though Janus was used to his dramatic son, hearing that made him close his book and give a harsh glance. He knew there was a catch here.

"With what?"

"With my heart!" Janus chuckled and watched his fifteen year old son dramatically collapsed on the sofa, a hand over his forehead as he fanned himself. He must have the most entertaining son in the universe. "And he goes to my school! He's super cute and there's the homecoming and I kind of want to invite him but he's just too cool to even speak to!"

Janus nodded and fully looked away from his work. It was unusual for Roman to come to him for emotions seeming his other father Patton was literally his lovey-dovey clone. But it was good that the teen had the trust to discuss these things. "Do you need advice or just an opportunity to vent?"

There was silence for a second as Roman hesitated, brushing a finger across his lips and hugging his leg. "How did you know you loved Dad? Like... more than just a like?" Janus smiled wide at that - remembering back to his college days when he first started dating his excitable roommate Patton Hershey.

*****

It was Janus' birthday, but that didn't mean it was a good day. None of his family had even sent him a birthday message. He expected that though. He was the youngest of six kids so never really got any attention. And on top of that he had an exam on his birthday which he had just absolutely failed. So in this particular memory he was walking out of the university building after the exam and staring down at his phone in case someone had texted him a simple 'happy birthday'. There was still nothing though.

"Jan, Jan!" The happy shout filled Janus' brain with serotonin as soon as he registered it, and he looked away from his phone to see Patton excitedly sprinting towards him. The pair had only been dating for a month or two, and if Janus was honest back then he would admit that Patton started as a rebound from an ex who should not be named. But the moment that was about to happen caused Janus to fall absolutely head over heels for such an amazing man. "I was going to wish you happy birthday this morning but you had already gone when I woke up! I really need to give you your birthday present though, can you guess what it is?"

Janus' arms snaked around Patton's waist, his eyes expanding as he watched Patton smile excitedly. He did feel lucky that Patton accepted even one date with Janus - and as an adult he still felt like he had been blessed with the luck of the gods. 

"Oh I wonder what Mr Hershey would get me for my birthday? Is it the same Mr Hershey that gave me Hershey kisses everyday until I gave into his affections?" Janus cooed, stroking his boyfriend's cheek with his nose and taking in the smell of berries his shampoo gave. This would be a good way to see the present hidden behind Patton's back but Janus didn't care that much. He cared more about holding Patton close like this. 

"Well, it's a little different this time." Patton giggled, stepping back a little so he was out of Janus' grip and he could reveal the present. The present definitely was different - it was a small button with a picture of Patton's beautiful, smiling face on it. "I snuck into the engineering labs and made it! Click the button and see." Janus did as told, pressing his thumb on Patton's button nose and letting the piece of plastic speak. The button spoke in Patton's voice and said 'I believe in you' in Patton's usual chirpy tone.

"You're too sappy for your own good." Janus chuckled, pressing the button again to hear Patton say 'everything will be a-OK Jany'. He pressed again to hear 'you're worthy of good things', and again for 'you can achieve anything you focus on'. At this point Janus knew he had tears in his eyes as he took every last word in and accepted the feeling of Patton's arms coming around him. "I think this is the best present I've ever gotten."

The button was pressed again and the speaker paused, making Janus think he broke the small contraption for a second. But eventually the device spoke again, gently and melodic, to say three words that stabilised Janus' thought process all the way to when he was a married man with an amazing teen son: 'I love you'.

Both Janus and Patton's breath hitched, and Janus' eyes raised again to meet with Patton's nervous expression. He meant it - and for some relationships it might be too early to say those three words but it definitely wasn't for them. It definitely wasn't for Janus - he loves Patton.

"I love you too, Patton."

*****

Roman was giggling by the end of the story, watching his father fanboy over his husband as if they had told each other they loved each other yesterday. "And then you got married and adopted the best baby that ever graced the universe?"

Janus laughed and tried to calm his blushing face, his brain reminding him of how cute Patton looked in his blue suit when the pair got married. He would love to go back in time to that moment he truly became the happy and successful Janus Hershey-Barr he was now. And whenever he saw his son he remembered the smiling face Patton gave him when they agreed they should adopt a baby. Wow... He was so in love.

"I definitely did. And I would take absolutely none of it back." Janus smirked, taking a deep breath to gather himself from being too sappy in front of his son. "Anyway, do you think you'll invite this kid to homecoming? You don't have to love him in order to go to a dance."

Roman's smile was wide and made Janus feel so proud of the young man he raised. "Of course! And I might ask him on a date too! Can Dad get me a discount at the choco-diner?" Before Janus could answer for his husband Roman ran off in search of his other father who was also working on his chocolate-making in his factory across the street. He loved his son.