(173) Logan's Promise - Loceit (at the end)

Summary: Logan is tasked to take care of his mother as she's taken terminally sick, even though he lives with a man that treats him more like a wallet than a human. Soon he comes to his senses but not in time for his mother to see him happy... at least in the mortal world.

TW - Parental death and terminal illness, also toxic relationship and financial abuse. I'm sorry I just sometimes throw surprise angst at you guys!

Last time Logan took the effort to drive all the way to Florida from his home in New York it was nothing but good news. He was showing off his new partner to his single mother, the biggest role model in Logan's life, and his mother was super excited to see him. The meeting went wonderfully and it made the nerd a million times more sure he was ready for the next step with his soulmate. Now the tone was a lot more different though - Logan wasn't even driving. His partner was driving them while Logan had his head down texting his mom. "She said she needs her pain killers sooner rather than later honey, have you called the doctor to inform him of her prescription?"

"I'm sure she'll be fine with the pills she has now Lo, stop worrying won't ya?" The partner snapped back, scowling at the growl Logan's janky car made when it was running out of petrol. "Why don't you get us a new car for Christmas babe? I know you have the money for it and I heard Rolls-Royce has come out with a new model."

Logan scowled almost as low as the car with that remark. He had made a name for himself when he moved to New York, leading a well-known restaurant in the city. He got that passion because of his mom's love of cookery. Money was pouring in but Logan never had a need to spend it. It felt a lot safer in investments rather than fancy cars and houses.

"Mom gave me this car honey, it's important to me. And you can stop the noise if you just change gears..." When Logan held down a pedal the growl stopped - but his partner's complaining didn't.

"Maybe I can persuade her to make you wind down a bit. I swear you're too uptight for your own good." Logan didn't have the desire to argue back. "We know she loves me." And that she did, Logan loved his partner too. He was just a bit materialistic. Hopefully with the crazy medical bills this materialism might calm down... and then Logan can bring up the idea of expanding the family like he wanted to.

*****

Logan walked into the second master bedroom (that his partner demanded should be built two years ago... only now he was grateful). This master bedroom held his mother, and it was winter now so she often liked sitting in a soft baby pink chair by the fireplace. "Evening Mom, I cooked some of your favourite sweetcorn soup for you!" Logan cheered with a happiness becoming falser by the day. He hated seeing his mom going down like this. There was no hesitation once he heard the diagnosis that he had to help - he was her only child after all. It was just sinking in now.

"Thank you Logie." Logan's mother chirped back, her voice raspy and colder than her usual charm. "I think my hand's too shaky today for it though." With a mumble Logan sat opposite his mother, in front of the fireplace, and prepared to serve the soup for his mother. Just like Logan had done to him as a toddler - it was just the other way round now. "Oh Lo-Lo you do too much for me." That soft smile almost brought tears to the restaurant owner's eyes. He missed when that smile didn't take this much effort.

"I do for you as much as you deserve Mom."

Unfortunately the quiet and calm atmosphere was disturbed by Logan's partner's shout across the hallway. "Logan! Can you transfer an extra thousand dollars to my account sweetheart?" Logan's partner ran into the room wearing his designer suit, so Logan could assume they were heading to work imminently. At first the stricter man didn't respond and just focused on getting some food inside his dying mother. "Oh, and what's been happening with your finances lately? You don't seem to be able to spoil me like you used to."