(100) Mistake Gone Right Part 2 - Demus and Logince

Summary: It's the day Janus and Remus (and their son Virgil) have a taster day at a new playgroup that could open doors for the little boy the couple love so much. They feel out of place - until they see someone that looks not so different to them.

Words: 1062

"It looks like everyone here owns three houses..." Remus whispered to his husband as he sat in the church hall, watching Virgil run around with several kids wearing designer Gucci and Louis Vuitton - brands the couple knew they could never afford. Virgil didn't seem to care about the clothes people around him were wearing though as he was shouting and giggling like normal kids did. 

The two husbands leant against each other and tried not to look at the adults around them. They were all mothers and fathers, or mothers alone but wearing expensive diamond wedding rings, and all were glaring at the two strangers who were new to this whole playgroup thing. Virgil was a hyper kid just like Remus was so he needed a way to get the energy out... And this was the cheapest option. It was just in the rich area Remus and Janus could never step foot in so they were outsiders in this new world.

"Daaaad!" Virgil emerged from a crowd of kids and smiled wide, tapping his fathers' knees and giving a loving gaze. It was impossible to think that three years ago this little human didn't even exist and was just a lump on Janus' stomach. Now he was the brightest-eyed kid that Janus and Remus adored to the moon and back - he was all they wanted. "I want my hoodie!"

As soon as Janus saw his newborn in a tacky purple and black hoodie he knew that was going to be a motif of his son. During his paternity leave Janus learnt to sew and every so often he made a new hoodie for Virgil that was black with some purple flannel on it randomly (Janus wasn't an artist). Remus fished the hoodie out of a nearby backpack and gave it to the happy toddler who put it on and ran off again.

Janus and Remus just watched their son in silence for a moment as he tried to make friends with the stuck-up kids that spoke Latin and knew way too much about their parents' salaries. Life was going to be more difficult for Virgil compared to them unfortunately but he had two loving parents that would do anything for him. Even sit in a cold church hall in silence when they were meant to socialise with other parents.

The last couple to come in turned everybody's heads though. Two men came walking in, holding hands with each other, one more nervous than the other but both seemed mainly focused on the child between them dressed in all types of cat memorabilia. "Looks like we're not the only ones." Remus chuckled under his breath, having the courage to grab Janus' hand and smile at the new couple. Both men acknowledged the smile and the more nervous one seemed to perk up and smile back. 

"Run off Patton-cake..." The more confident one, wearing a simple red shirt, knelt down to the nearby child and pushed the cat fanatic into the crowd of children. The young child seemed to melt right into a conversation about the latest toys each kid last received. The man then whispered into the ear of his partner and pointed to both Janus and Remus - the nervous man smiled and that's when the pair began walking over. "Good morning! Is your kiddo new this year?" The nervous man retrieved some chairs so the four fathers could sit together while Janus and Remus exchanged small talk. "I'm Roman, and this egghead is my queer platonic partner Logan." Roman gave Logan a kiss on the cheek as they sat, making Logan smile to himself softly.

"Which one's yours?" Logan said quietly, his eyes a lot more concerned with others around him but Roman seemed there to comfort him. Remus pointed to the little boy chasing an entire crowd pretending he was an evil gothic vampire. The two fathers laughed at this new child's behaviour before spotting who was helping him in this capture. "Our one's Patton. He's a little... hyper."

"Oh don't worry, Virgil is too." Janus laughed. It was then Virgil managed to summon all the kids towards him and guide them to the back of the hall where the holy wine and bread were stored. The yellow wearing father paused and then whispered to his husband. "Did you tell Raccoon where the wine was stored?" Sure enough as soon as that question was said Virgil started shouting about the 'hidden grape juice' behind the door.

"That's my kid." Remus chuckled, he'd never stop being proud of his boy and his weird behaviour. 

Roman laughed too and Logan raised an eyebrow - his eyes now firmly on his son who for some reason was being carried and gently thrown against the door like a battling ram. "It's great to see there's more... diverse parents here!" Roman cheered, grabbing Logan's hand probably so he wouldn't go into overprotective father mode. "It's kind of boring seeing all the same faces here."

"Kiddo needs more representation." Virgil looked so happy as he was giggling, Patton was next to him encouraging him to break down the door and do all the other activities available at the same time. Eventually all the kids dispersed across the hall again (some dragged away from the possible alcoholism by their parents) but Patton and Virgil stayed together and explored the rest of the hall side-by-side. 

All was peaceful until a mother scowled towards the direction of the fathers, complaining to her husband about how they let 'anyone in this playgroup' and 'those boys are going to grow up deranged without a mother'. The normal things. Both Remus and Janus lowered their heads and hoped Virgil couldn't hear while Roman brought his arm around Logan and smiled gleefully. 

"Ignore them." He said simply but loudly, smirking at the two new parents to the playgroup. "Does Virgil want a play date with us after this? I don't think Patton will rid of all his energy this afternoon." Patton and Virgil were chasing each other around the perimeter and pushing past adults without a care in the world like normal children did. Virgil looked so happy with his new friend in an oversized hoodie.

"Of course he does!" And that was the start of a beautiful friendship for both Virgil and his parents, one that would definitely last forever.