(63) You've Never Tasted Coffee? - Remile

Summary: It's a usual busy shift for Remy at his coffee shop, just after his birthday. He's having a 'considering his life decisions' day because of his change of age - but it's all put on pause when a light pink wearing man enters the shop with an excitable young kid.

Words: 1137

"Oh, you know, I just went to the bar with family to celebrate." Remy mumbled as he cleaned one of the teacups. He used to party a lot when he was young but now he had just turned 40 and therefore had become the typical old person that wanted to just stay inside and sleep.

Nothing else had changed in his life very much. He had a partner once but nothing went anywhere before they broke up and because of that he never expanded his immediate family and lived alone. The only thing he had in his life with the coffee shop (named Remy's - no-one said he was creative) he started as soon as he graduated college which was now the most popular spot in town. He even had partnerships with popular coffee chains and restaurants that helped him make a franchise.

"You need some Grindr in your life my friend." Remy's coworker Virgil (technically employee but he hated any power dynamic so called everyone in his chain a co-worker) said as he served a hot croissant with a side of strawberry jam for a stern looking book nerd that seemed to be a regular. Remy loved Virgil like a son - he was like a younger version of the sunglasses wearer as a gay college student. He wished he could show the emo that gay people could fall into a life of love as he was constantly hearing the opposite at home.

"I'm too old for a one-and-done Virgil, I want something more." He wanted to go back in time and meet 'the one'. He wanted to be a family man but he hadn't accomplished that. Maybe quick hook-ups were all he was good for...

With soapy hands Remy was brought away from his self-deprecating thoughts by hearing a soft and happy giggle. As he seemed distracted Virgil was the one to talk first to the customer.

He was a masterpiece. He wore pink overalls with a white t-shirt and white sneakers - his strawberry blond hair looked crazy and unbrushed yet beautiful. He had glasses that were pink and maybe put some pink glittery lip gloss on his lips. His entire outfit was covered in paint and beside him was a kid maybe around 13 with equally curly black hair and a red t-shirt with a yellow star on it.

"Oh yeah, that's my boss Remy. I can pass him onto you if you want." The masterpiece was looking directly at him. Fuck, he was so gay.

Remy cleared his throat and smiled softly. "Hi, welcome to Remy's, how can I help you today?"

The young teenager spoke instead of the pink wearing cutie, standing in front of him with a determined look with one hand on the table. "My Dad's never had coffee before, I need to fill him up on the drink of the gods ASAP."

Yeah, Remy liked this kid already. "Same page bud. What coffee would your Dad like?"

"I like sweet things." The older man chirped, his green eyes glowing as he looked at the handwritten board with all the types of coffee. He looked at the board as if it was an entire other language. "I'm not exactly coffee literate though..."

"That's alright, I recommend a mocha if you have a sweet tooth. Hot or iced?"

The man's soft smile absolutely captivated Remy as he leant forward on the barista desk, notepad in one hand and Starbucks pen in the other. Slowly, (after the man's son whispered a translation to him) the man seemed to understand what Remy was saying. "It's too hot for anything but iced right now. Can I have almond milk with it?"

Remy nodded and straightened his back when he heard Virgil whistle from the other side of the store. The boss did the same to the college boy when a man dressed in a prince outfit for no reason came in the other day and Virgil was swooning too much to concentrate. "Can do - would you like vegan chocolate sauce too?"

The cutie shook his head and turned towards his son. "What would you like Stevie?" He said in a chirp he hadn't got rid of yet. The teenager, Stevie or maybe Steven, smirked.

"I'm guessing Black-Out has the most caffeine?" The teen asked, and Remy nodded. It was in fact Remy's own recipe from his college days that was overdosed with caffeine and was very strong. It was in fact not recommended for anyone under 12 - but this kid looked like he'd get a pass.

"It'll come right up - can I get a name for your orders? Steven and..."

"Emile!" The man said his name excitedly, and Remy's heart began beating quickly. This was definitely a lot different than any hook-up the coffee shop owner had before this day - in a good way, Remy never wanted to let this man out his sight.

After a short silence Remy gained all his courage (or maybe lost all his sense) and spoke gently with wide blown eyes. "What's your number?" He whispered, then realised Emile's shocked face. "For... marketing purposes."

Surprisingly Emile totally believed that and offered to write his number on a napkin (he said something about how he worked as a freelance art therapist so often got calls and texts - he didn't mind getting one more as he liked the atmosphere). Remy stared at the numbers on the napkin like he just found a hidden treasure while Emile wondered to find a seat... Steven stayed.

Remy raised an eyebrow at the teen but he kept his smile. "I like you." He said simply - tilting his head and watching the barista slowly make the coffee. "You're single aren't you? You give off that vibe." Remy, although confused, nodded. "And you're attracted to men?" Remy nodded again. "You're attracted to my father?" Although that was phrased as more of a statement than a question Remy nodded anyway. Steven then leaned over the counter and kept his voice quiet. "I'll give you hints. Mention anything about any cartoon and he'd fall head over heels for you. If you use a pun he'll fall even harder. He studied animation in art school so if you mix that in he'd marry you."

And with that Steven walked away to sit opposite his father. While the coffee was brewing Remy looked up cartoon puns and once the coffee was made Remy served them with one pick-up line in mind. "Oh... Baby?" Remy said, eyes glued to Emile. Emile looked up. "You must be a model sheet - because you've got a nice turn around."

That was how Remy's new life began. He gained a husband and an equally coffee addicted son, and Emile had many more coffees throughout his life. It was love.