(179) Just Catching The Vibe - Moceit

Summary: Patton is a qualified midwife with a major in child development and a minor in kindergarten education. Janus has never met another baby in his life other than his own. Sometimes parenting becomes difficult.

Words: 1070

Normally when Patton returned from a night shift the home he lived in with his husband was relatively peaceful. His husband was a lawyer, so he only worked in the daytime hours, and slept quite deeply at night. Patton loved that he could just snake himself in between his lover's arms and feel like home in his embrace. The pairs days would always be monotonous like that - Patton would work either the day, afternoon, or the night shift at the hospital as the head midwife before finding his way to Janus' arms until the next shift.

Patton was used to bringing babies into the world every single day, so when he and his husband finally decided they were ready to create their own little life Patton's life didn't change a bit. Janus, however, had his entire life upside down. He went from being relatively independent save for a few night-time cuddles to constantly having this little life to watch over and attend to.

So it wasn't surprising when Patton returned from his shift of crying babies to hear the soft cries of his own. Expecting Janus was still asleep Patton happily trotted upstairs into the soft cloud nursery that had been occupied for a couple of weeks at this point... only to find it empty. "Jan? Where's Vergie?"

"Here." A call came from the master bedroom. Aww! Maybe Jan was cuddling their baby in bed and looking all cute and father-like, Patton's heart would explode at the sight! Patton quickly ran to the master bedroom and slowly opened the door.

Janus was stood over the changing table, his expression tired and focused as he stood over his infant son. He looked the baby up and down slowly and in silence. "Hang on honey, I'm trying to figure it out." Since Virgil wasn't crying too hard Patton felt safe to just watch, and in all honesty he loved to watch Janus be a father. He wasn't the best just yet but he was always willing to practice and learn Virgil's little quirks.

Since Patton was still in work-mode he could translate Virgil's tears like they were a second language. The infant had a tight grip on the knitted blanket he adored with his little heart, and he was kicking his legs roughly even though his onesie was loose due to a recent attempted change. After a few seconds of hesitation Janus tried to give Virgil a pacifier, and surprisingly he took it, sucking on the small device but still screaming a little and reaching up for his father. "Well, at least my ears are saved... Do you want a cuddle little one?"

Janus lifted Virgil gently and cradled him against his chest, rocking him side-to-side slowly and hoping that was enough to get his son asleep again. That wasn't in the cards for the insomniac infant though as eventually he let the pacifier drop and cried even louder. "OK, OK, Raccoon! I'm trying to figure you out lil Stormcloud OK?" Virgil was placed on the changing table again, Janus tried to play with his feet but that resorted in just a kick in the face. Patton laughed a little at the predicament and laughed even louder at the playful scowl Janus gave him back.

"What have you tried?" Patton inquired, letting Janus yawn a little before answering.

"Uh... Lots of cuddles. Like maybe too much, he's just so soft and cute isn't he? Can you imagine this thing is like an actual human?" Janus cooed and squished Virgil's cheek during a moment of quiet as the baby watched his confused father. "I'd checked his diaper and he's all clean, and I tried just putting him to bed again and he screamed bloody murder. Put music on in case he was bored and turned it off again in case he was overstimulated. Even just played with his legs to check for wind and he karate kicked my face." Janus laughed softly at the predicament he was in, counting the list on his fingers and blinking when he couldn't think of anything more. Patton smirked though in all the knowledge.

There was only one last thing Janus could think of doing in his sleep deprived state. He knelt to be level with Virgil's face and spoke very quietly. "Now Virgil, I know you can't speak yet but you better be a baby genius to help your old Dad out a bit. What do you want? Your Papa's judging me so hard right now." Patton wasn't judging, just laughing at his husband being an adorable dumbass. It seemed so obvious what Virgil needed in Patton's eyes. 

"I'm going to need some tea, do you want your usual?" Patton stepped towards the door again and leant on the arch to judge his husband's reaction to the question. Janus just bent his eyebrows for a bit and stood again, looking confused before his eyes finally widened in shock and realisation. 

"Food! Got it - thanks babe!" Janus, with the widest smile on his face, picked up Virgil and ran to his husband; giving him a peck on the lips and running downstairs with the cute baby they shared. When Patton finally came downstairs he could see Janus cooing at Virgil again and pouring powder into the purple milk bottle that was apparently Virgil's favourite. Even though Virgil was less than a month old Janus could tell what his son's favourite things were apparently.

Patton brought his arms around Janus' waist and leant his chin on his shoulder, giving him a kiss on the neck when there was room. Both fathers were watching the little life they helped bring into the world, and both let an audible 'aww' out as Virgil finally found the thing he wanted. Usually Virgil was a quiet and easy-going baby - perfect as a first child that made Patton want a million more. They knew they wanted to give Virgil a sibling in a couple of years, they had fallen in love with the name Logan - Virgil just didn't suit such a normal name. But they were sure eventually they'd have a little Logan to add to the mix too.

"I'll understand you eventually Raccoon, I promise." Janus whispered as Virgil finished his bottle, kissing his little forehead. Virgil mumbled softly as his eyes fluttered to a close. His fathers watched him fall asleep silently before heading to bed themselves.