(85) See The Sorcerer - Logicality

Summary: At recess Logan gets dragged into the popular kids' fantasy game, playing as a 'see-saw-er' and master of magic. Some other magic ends up at play though and Logan comes to the realisation he may not be like all the other kids for another reason.

I have to do supportive straight parents it's so adorable XD

Words: 1257

Logan wondered into the playground at recess, watching all the kids around him run and giggle and scream. He was not the type to join in on those childish games. Instead he carried some of the books from the classroom into an empty part of the playground and sat to read.

Ahead of him the most popular kids in Logan's grade were playing, all dressed up. Virgil, who was the most agreeable person in the group, was only loud amongst his two best friends and loved stars and macabre things. He usually wore a giant black hoodie but this time he removed it because of the weather and wore a plastic knight's hat. Roman was the loudest person of the group and was utterly chaotic - this time he had stolen some tissue paper and a paper crown and was wearing both and waving a toy sword. Both boys were chasing their best friend Patton - the teacher's son - who was dressed in a light blue dress that was covered in sparkles, and also had a plastic pink tiara in his wavy blond hair. Patton was almost as chaotic as Roman but was definitely extroverted - he'd talk to anyone if he had the chance. 

"Logan's a sorcerer!" Roman shouted as he turned a complete 180 and came bounding towards the first grader just trying to be peaceful and clean. Without even being asked Logan was dragged away from his precious book pile and placed on a swing-set that had been guarded away from anyone else using it. Logan was also given a magician's hat and a robe that he refused to put on. "We have a sorcerer now Virgil!"

"I don't want to be a..."

"NEW FRIEND?!" Patton's shout erupted from the gate he had reached as he was being chased. The happiness and hope in his eyes made Logan silence immediately, and he didn't particularly mind being away from his stories. Patton looked like a fairytale himself. 

The three friends began chasing each other again and giggling while Logan sat and watched them. Eventually Roman and Virgil caught their friend and dragged him over to where Logan sat, Roman proclaiming: "The Princess was poisoned!"

"We should tell Mr Sanders." Logan said plainly. Yes, he knew about the concept of imagination and that kids enjoyed playing with their minds - but sometimes he felt like being too realistic and just watching the people around him look confused. The three boys just pouted at Logan's refusal to play.

Patton's pout stuck out more than the rest. His glowing eyes hid themselves downwards and their glasses magically seemed to fog slightly. For the first time Logan felt the intense desire to give a living human a hug - and that living human was standing right in front of him. This was unusual... Logan felt captivated by Patton's magic spell to put on the robe and hat and play along. Something was definitely happening to him.

"What kind of poisoning is it?" Logan mumbled quizzically, almost rendered to silence again when he saw Patton's joy. 

"He was poisoned by the Dragon Witch and that made him evil!" Roman shouted excitedly once he realised he could play again. Patton started to step away from the group to escape again but was caught by Virgil's hug. "You need to save him sorcerer!"

Beside where Logan sat on the swings there was a random stick some kid probably picked up from the nearby tree and then forgot about. It was long and non-splitery so perfect for a magic wand. "I know just the spell." Logan said triumphantly, waving the stick around and mumbling some big long words that would impress the people he was playing with. As Logan did the spell Patton twirled, his dress becoming more puffy and he looked so happy. The weird feeling erupted from Logan's stomach again and his face felt a lot hotter.

"Thank you sorcerer!" Patton eventually stopped spinning and attacked Logan in a hug. It felt like Logan's heart was about to explode as he hugged back - but why was he feeling like this? His older sisters said they felt this way when around cute boys and that he should feel this way about cute girls. Not Patton. "Would you like to be my protector Mr Sorcerer? The more the merrier!"

So the rest of the day Logan stayed with the popular group - chasing them in the playground, helping them with their classwork, and sharing apple snacks at lunchtime. They were still a little extroverted and scary but Patton was always there to check if Logan was OK and quiet Roman when he was screaming. He did the same with Virgil too who was always nervous about everything. All in all, Logan had found a new friendship group and although he was confused about what Patton meant to him he was still happy to have friends.

*****

When Logan waved his friends goodbye and hopped off the school bus his mother was waiting for him with a soft smile. Logan's mother always wanted her only son to make new friends as easily as his sisters did. "Who were you waving to Logie? Do you have new friends?"

"Mhm!" Logan said proudly with a smile, carrying all his books in his hands and refusing to let them go as the mother and son walked to their four bedroom home in the cul-de-sac. "They're called Roman, Virgil and Patton. They're really nice, and Patton's pretty too!" There was nothing wrong with telling someone you find someone of the same sex pretty right? Patton was pretty in his light blue dress and his eyes were so captivating and beautiful when he was happy.

Logan's mother looked at her red-faced son with a raised eyebrow and small smile. "Does Patton give you butterflies in your stomach sweetheart?" She inquired, only to see her son get more red and nervous - maybe even ashamed. And Logan should never be ashamed.

"I don't eat butterflies Mom..."

"I mean do they make you nervous?" The mother clarified, knowing her son always took everything literally. "Because if they do you have no need to be nervous about it. You can't stop feeling butterflies about someone - and even if you never feel butterflies over anyone that's good too! You don't need to be a carbon copy of anyone else to be happy kiddo."

Logan was silent as he walked and thought, not looking at his mother. The mother continued to talk to her son about his feelings - and in her opinion it did seem to be a little crush forming. She assured her seven year old that there was no need to be ashamed about having a crush on a boy, there was nothing wrong with him for it. "Dad and I will always be proud of you whoever you choose to love or if you don't fall in love. And your sisters will gossip about it and give you pointers either way - you know how they are." Logan was the baby of the family - his teen sisters absolutely adored their baby brother whatever he did and whoever he became.

When the pair arrived home Logan's mother leant down to her son with a soft smile. "I love you Logan, unconditionally OK?"

Logan nodded shyly, a smile coming on his face too as he swayed side to side and blushed. The mother felt so proud seeing her son like that. "And I think I love Patton too."