(103) Plastic Baby - Logicality

Summary: Patton and Logan, almost complete strangers that go to the same high school, are placed together for a group project of taking care of a robot baby. Self-discovery ensues.

Words: 2023

Patton adored health class. He loved learning about people rather than boring numbers or old dead people, but unfortunately everyone else seemed to hate this compulsory class. People were chatting to each other instead of listening to the teacher talk about child development and pregnancy - a topic Patton was interested in as he wanted to go into childcare after he graduated; either working at a preschool, a kindergarten teacher or a midwife. 

Logan hated health class. He loved learning about formulae and historical events rather than people and being nice, unfortunately this class was used mainly as entertainment so it wasn't quiet either. The teacher was talking about child development and pregnancy, definitely not LGBTQ+ friendly but that's what high school was like. As expected Logan wasn't interested in the topic in the slightest even though thus far he knew he was expected to place a woman through the torture of pregnancy and childbirth for his own 'legacy'. But Logan didn't want anything to do with children - his goals after high school would be to become a university researcher or financial accountant and not talk to anyone under the age of 18.

"Now to announce the group project!" The teacher exclaimed, gathering a sheet of paper and examining it. "You'll be in pairs - that I choose - and your task is to take care of a robot baby for the week!" Patton was overjoyed hearing this news, Logan was wishing he was anywhere else. The teacher then began reading out names as partners were placed boy-girl... And Patton wasn't getting called out.

After reading the list the teacher approached another student who hadn't been paired, the one who sat at the front. Patton didn't know much about him apart from he was the teacher's pet in all subjects and got the best grades. He did usually know the name of everyone in his grade, the boy was maybe called Lukas or Lewis or Leo...

The boy turned to Patton and stood to walk over, a smile not on his face. "We're paired. Too many boys compared to girls." He spoke to softly as he opened a textbook and made eye contact with the book rather than his partner. Looks like he wasn't going to introduce himself.

"I'm Patton! Are you excited to see what baby we're taking care of?" Patton's eyes were switching between the student opposite him and the cart of toy babies the teacher was beginning to hand out. The boy shrugged and wrote some more lesson notes in his book.

"It's a robot, not a baby. And this whole thing is stupid and worthless." The student spoke so matter-of-fact, but the cart of babies was getting closer and that's all Patton cared about. It was silent for about a minute before the boy finally revealed his name. "I'm Logan also, Logan Watch."

Finally the moment came when Patton could finally hold the little plastic and metal infant he was in charge of for an entire week. He took the small thing graciously and cradled them just like a normal baby should be held and looked down on them. The baby was dressed in a blue onesie and had a blue hat on... He was adorable even though they weren't human. "What shall we call him? I love him so much!"

Logan's face was a mixture between shock and confusion at Patton's reaction, raising an eyebrow and his eyes blown wide as he chew the end of his pen. "Steve? That's an adequate name." He managed to eventually mutter out - and this time Patton raised an eyebrow at his classmate. 

"Are you joking?" He chirped, but Logan shook his head. Steve was the most boomer name Patton had heard of. "Stevie. He's called Stevie."

*****

The project seemed quite easy in Patton's point of view. As Logan wanted to pull his share the pair agreed to swap Stevie each day: Patton had Stevie Monday night, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday while Logan had him on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. As his mother was a nurse she helped Patton a lot if he was ever stuck on what to do but the teenager was good at improvising and loved playing fun games with his baby during the night.