(79) Bluebells - Logicality

Summary: After learning about the life cycle of flowers Thomas asks his parents (who are florists) to teach him how to garden. 

Words: 1387

Dozens of kids ran out of the elementary school happily, laughing and chasing each other before they spotted their parents. Logan watched the first graders trying to carry all their books and the fifth graders strolling out with their brand new phones trying to look cool. He wasn't there for any of the actual elementary schoolers though. Just beside the elementary school was a small building that was the kindergarten - teachers were walking out with the smallest kids. And one of those small kids was Logan's son: Thomas.

"Dad! Dad! Dad!" Thomas shouted as soon as he saw his father, running into his arms and giggling. Logan accepted the hug as he always did - he'd probably cry when Thomas grows to be too big to carry. But he was a tough guy who hardly showed emotion so he'd try not to.

"How was your day at school buddy?" Logan asked as he buckled his son into his car seat. God, he was such a cute kid - how did Logan and his partner get lucky enough to adopt him?

Thomas gasped excitedly as he seemingly remembered his school day, and chirped excitedly. "We talked about jobs! Talyn's Parrie is a therapist - and Joan's Dad is a barista! I told Mrs Holiday that my Daddys are flower-growers and she said we must have a pretty garden..." He continued to chat about his classmate's parent's jobs while Logan drove and smiled like a goofball listening to his son's chirps. 

"We're florists Thomas. That's what flower-growers are called." Logan corrected his little boy - but Thomas didn't seem to mind as he just continued his story but saying his Dads were 'flororists'. He peaked looks at his son through the backseat mirror, smiling all the way home when Thomas leaped out the car once he saw his other parent at the door.

"Pa! Pa! Pa!" Thomas screamed excitedly and unbuckled himself, tripping on the floor once he landed but getting up again and reaching his Pa's arms. Thomas' Pa was Logan's adoring partner Patton - whenever he was in the near vicinity Logan couldn't help but blush and marvel about how lucky he was to have a life like this. "You're a florist!"

"That I am! Did you learn that at school today?" Patton squished Thomas' cheek with a wide smile and walked inside, immediately giving Thomas one of the cupcakes he was baking. Logan followed behind still wearing his smile and feeling like a nervous teen facing his crush. It was lucky the two parents met in their 20s when Logan was more confident otherwise he'd never get the courage to talk to the cutie in front of him.

Logan was awoken by a cupcake hitting his face and baby blue cream rubbed on his nose. "Daaaad! Pay attention!" Thomas screamed and giggled when Patton began tickling him as a punishment for throwing the cupcake. He then gasped again and began to squirm excitedly. "I also learnt about flowers in science! They give bees their honey!"

"You're getting smarter by the day kiddo." Patton kissed Thomas on the cheek just as Logan put his arm around his shoulders. "Did they tell you about seeds being baby flowers? That's why Dad plants a lot of seeds around this time."

Thomas' eyes glowed as his lips were covered in cupcake, looking at his father in utter excitement. "Daaaad - Can you teach me how to make a flower?"

"Of course little guy, let me just get ready first." Logan sighed happily, disappearing behind a door to get changed into more comfortable clothes he used for gardening. This wasn't the first time his son was going to join in on his gardening but it still felt momentous - the first time was probably when he was a small baby and used to play in the garden while his Pa was at work. But Logan would never forget this moment his son actually wanted to help garden.

Thomas skipped out into the garden with a wide smile, watching his father go into the shed to collect his seeds and other equipment. The kindergartener looked confused - pointing at a wooden stick with a metal square at the end. "Dad, what's that?"

Logan looked up for a second. "A hoe Tom. I use it to make the soil comfy for the plants." He said simply. Thomas just looked at it curiously. "Don't touch anything here OK? Pa can prove things here fall very easily..."

"The fifth graders say moms are that." Thomas pointed at the hoe again, a finger in his mouth - luckily he was distracted enough to not spot Logan's giggle. "Moms aren't sticks right?"

"No, no." Logan hid his giggle, beckoning Thomas to his side as he left the shed, admiring Thomas' little smile. "Moms are humans like us. We must respect them and not call them, or anyone, gardening tools."

Thomas nodded, another gasp escaping as Logan knelt down beside a blooming bush of flowers. "I'm making sure these flowers aren't sick buddy. This fertiliser," he lifted a giant bottle of fertiliser, "keeps them healthy." Thomas leant beside his father and tried to copy Logan's examining nature, stroking the petals and even sniffing it (although that doesn't help, Logan just loves the smell).

"What type of flowers are these?"

"They're bluebells. Pa's favourite." Logan mumbled under his breath, giving the same fond look to these flowers he also gave his lover. He remembered when he got the courage to ask Patton out on a date he did so by giving him a dozen bluebells - they even had bluebells on their wedding day as the flower symbolised everlasting love. And their love was everlasting.

"What's your favourite Dad?" Thomas chirped, trying to do the same look to a couple sunflowers that were the height of him. Logan thought for a moment. Although he was employed as a flower expert and even went to school for botany he never really had a favourite flower. He only got an adoration for a particular type when he met Patton.

"Mine are bluebells too." He said softly, smiling before reaching an empty plot of soil ready for planting. "Ready for planting Tommy?"

Thomas immediately ran beside his father with wide, glowing, hazel eyes. Gently Logan dug a hole in the soil, bringing out the seed packets and showing them to his son. "Poppy, lavender or tulip?" He whispered. He didn't want this moment with his son to be disturbed by his voice - even though that was completely illogical. 

"I like poppies. There's this girl in my class called Poppy and she's really pretty." Logan nodded and placed the seeds around the soil - his son chatted and giggled about this Poppy kid. This was new. Thomas had never had a crush before or at least one he talked about, although it may not be a crush and just be a new friend. He shouldn't be pushing heteronormative ideas on his son especially as a bisexual man himself.

Patton was watching his husband and son garden outside with a proud smile, encouraging Thomas once he spotted him. When they finished their short bonding activity Logan walked by the plants again and picked one flower - a bluebell. Thomas ran inside quickly for more cupcakes leaving Patton alone in the garden with Logan. "Hey flower-bud..." Logan mumbled and came close to his husband, hiding the flower he picked behind him and uttering out the nickname that made Patton weak at the knees. "I love you."

Logan was standing so close that not touching lips was impossible. The nerd smiled at that, kissing back and letting them distract each other for a good few minutes with the sun setting in the background. "I love you too." Patton whispered once their lips separated - and as if that was the magic word the flower Logan hid appeared. It was a bluebell. 

The cheery father could only giggle, it wasn't that long ago his husband was scared of showing too much emotion, he was worried he'd be laughed at and ridiculed. But now he knew showing emotions was the sure way to make Patton's heart flutter. Not locking lips was becoming irresistible again. "You're as sappy as honey."

"And you're as sweet as a bluebell."