(65) Chess - Analogical

Summary: Chess World Winner Logan loves teaching people how to play chess. His husband Virgil always gets annoyed by all the confusing rules but their three kids absolutely adore their father's games.

Words: 1186

When Virgil moved from his alternative school to a public school he didn't expect his life to change so much. He thought he'd just melt into the crowd and spend three years avoiding panic attacks - not discover he wasn't heterosexual and fall in love with a future chess champion. 

It was just so cute how his eyes sparkled as he explained all the little pieces and how he bit his thumbnail when he was about to win. Who could not kiss him in the middle of the school canteen?

He was glad no-one else did as he now had a rather exciting and perfect life. The pair adopted three kids intermittent to travelling around the world for chess championships, spending days at a time in countries Virgil would have only dreamed about before. New York, Moscow, Paris, London, Berlin, Rome... The options were endless. But having three kids along with that made it all so much more exciting - and Logan absolutely adored them.

When Logan needed to practice he usually invited other champions to play with him, although he'd never tell his kids that. As much as his kids knew practices were reserved when he taught them how to play. Well - only two of his kids were old enough to play with their father. His daughters, Paris and Stella, were sat together opposite and stared at the black and white board. "Can I move the prawn Dad?" Stella chirped as he placed one of the pawns forward one spot - her older sister nodding in agreement with the move.

"Yes you can! But remember it's pawn Stel, prawns are the little sea creatures." Logan whispered, moving a piece near the back Virgil couldn't remember with complete determination. He'd never win when playing with his kids purposefully, but he'd still look like he's trying his best so the happy round faces Logan and his husband adored could beat a world champion. After making his move he pointed at the horse piece. "Do you remember what this one is called?"

"Knight! Like Uncle Roman!" The older girl, Paris, cheered. Logan smiled at her and whispered to Stella what moves were good to take a bishop.

Virgil wished he could understand chess as well as his husband did, he should have taken him up on those extra classes instead of making those a distracting kissing fest. He loved watching Logan play though whether it was in a darkly lit cameras-everywhere championship or in their cozy Georgian style cottage. He was sat on the floor with the couple's son Luka who could only just understand shape fill activities and sitting up for an extended period of time. He too though was watching his father with a block he was chewing in his mouth.

"You'll be able to join soon kiddo." Virgil whispered to the baby, smiling at his wide eyes curious at everything in the world. He was a little version of his other father with his happiness and love of the world. 

"Dad! Dad! I can take that piece!" Paris shouted happily as she pointed at the king. Logan gave a proud smile back. "Are we in checkmate? Have we beated you again?"

With a simple nod both girls were dancing around the room and shouting about how they beat the world champion again. Virgil used to dance around with them when they were little but since there was a baby on the floor and he was paranoid he avoided moving his legs too quickly unless Logan held his son.

Speaking of Logan holding his son the man was now sitting next to Virgil and tickling the boy a little. "I can't wait for this little one to see the world..." He whispered, dragging the baby onto his lap and kissing his chubby cheeks.

"Where's the next one?" Virgil asked, also cuddling into his husband by leaning on his shoulder. Logan brought an arm around him, still entertaining Luka by sticking his tongue out and cooing.

"Nationals in Los Angeles, and then hopefully Xinghua for the global ones."

The stupidly large smile revealed on Virgil's face. Most of the global championships Logan attended were in Europe, apparently the contestants were more friendly even though they were mostly the same people each time, Asia was a new territory. "That sounds so exciting! You'll try your best won't you?"

"You know I always will." Logan's soft whisper was adorable, and irresistible when Logan's lips were mere centimetres away. So they kissed, softly and carefully even though they knew each other's boundaries well after years of a relationship. Virgil loved being held by his husband by a reassuring arm across his back and his other hand tracing circles on Virgil's cheek.

"Daaaad! Can we have another game?" Stella shouted which interrupted the body contact Virgil was craving. He knew he'd get more body contact that night but impromptu make-out sessions made Virgil's heart beat a million more paces and his love for Logan multiply more (if that was even possible - he adored his husband a lot as it is).

So again Virgil was sat on the floor with Luka while Logan, Paris and Stella were crowded around the chess board. Logan taught them some more and they absorbed all the information like a sponge. Stella wanted to be a chess champion just like her father after all.

Virgil was too distracted watching his husband adorably teach and entertain their kids he forgot about the baby under his supervision. Luckily nothing bad happened - Luka just threw the block he was holding under the sofa and began crawling to his other father. With a few screams he got Logan's attention and reached out with his little arms.

"Hey buddy! You want to be on Dad's team?" Logan whispered and lifted the baby on his lap, explaining some more but also keeping Luka's prying hands away from the small pieces. Usually when Luka wanted to teethe everything he'd be taken on a walk to explore nature but unfortunately it was the one rainy day in Florida. 

Virgil remembered where he was watching them - falling in love a thousand times harder than he did as a teenager. He did want to be on his husband's lap at that moment though. He had to settle with walking over and giving his husband a chaste kiss, asking him what he wanted for dinner. Something with Crofters of course.

With that small smile Logan gave Virgil was automatically transported to their high school selves. When Virgil just watched Logan with adoration scared to do anything that would scare him away and break their friendship. When Logan's freckles were brighter and there was less smile marks and wrinkles on his face. When Virgil couldn't kiss his husband just like he wanted to now...

"Dad! You're distracting Dad from our game!" Paris shouted. Virgil rolled his eyes, giving Logan a kiss of the cheek, and then going to the kitchen to cook dinner. He would happily (and probably have to) drag his husband and daughters away from the wooden board when food was ready.