(188) Finally Feeling Safe - Anxceit

Summary: Ever since Thomas' second birthday Virgil and Janus have had known romantic feelings for each other, but they had reservations over starting a proper relationship since Janus had just escaped a toxic place. Virgil's always there for Thomas though, and his safety is the most important.

IMPORTANT TW - Lots of mentioned of vomit and sickness.

Words: 1477

"You're such a Dad Virgil I swear." Virgil's boss, Patton, chuckled as the young waiter called him to take a vacation day from work. The vacation day was sudden, but as a parent Patton understood the short notice. "How sick is the little guy? Just because you're also booked in on Friday..."

"I promise it'll just be today Pat. Just so Jan doesn't miss his interview." Virgil spoke as he shuffled on his coat and grabbed a few of Thomas' favourite toys he had lying around his apartment. Thomas didn't come to visit that often now he was in school but Virgil didn't have the heart to remove any toys, or even throw away the toddler toys the boy had four years ago when Virgil came into his life. There might be a day the six year old will want to play pretend kitchen again (with Virgil as the waiter of course). "And I'm not his Dad."

Patton disagreed with that statement as always but soon ended the call so he could do his manager work and Virgil could get his shoes on and catch the bus. Today Virgil was babysitting Thomas for his... friend... Janus again. They should really be discussing their label soon huh? I mean sure, they're attracted to each other and that kiss four years ago was phenomenal, but they both agreed to not see each other romantically until Janus' life was more settled to the way it was before he got into the toxic relationship that gave him Thomas. Today was Janus' first interview with a school after he took college classes to become a kindergarten teacher. That meant he was one step closer to feeling morally alright with falling in love with Janus.

The apartment Janus and Thomas lived in was small, but at least it wasn't completely communal like the homeless shelter was. Thomas had his own bedroom he didn't have to share with any other kids his age, and he could have the snack jar he loved so much out on display and all the snacks could be his. Thomas loved his new place - and it was good for Janus too as the neighbours were nice and gave a sense of community if Janus was ever struggling.

The door opened to a relieved Janus at the other side of the door. "Thank God you're here, poor Tom's still in bed with a sick bowl, do I look professional enough?" Janus was speaking quickly and whispering, twirling into the new suit he bought specifically for this job. And of course Virgil would never miss a moment to stare and admire Janus' figure.

"You look... professional." Virgil's eyes finally raised to Janus' face, and he was immediately brought to a blush by Janus' smirk. "Sorry for staring."

"I'll take it as a compliment." And with that smirk Janus left Virgil alone in this small and familiar apartment. Virgil took a deep breath for a moment before hearing some gagging upstairs. Poor guy.

Virgil wondered towards the second bedroom slowly to not scare the first grader. "Hey Tom, I'm taking care of you for the day. How are you feeling?" The look of poor Thomas broke Virgil's heart was he saw him, half-asleep sat up in bed with a bowl full of vomit. "Hey buddy, I'll take care of that for you. No school today!"

Thomas didn't even smile at that and just lay down in bed again. Virgil tried to smile at the boy but gave up when he didn't smile back. Today was going to be a long day of lots of bowl-washing. Everything seemed to be going well, Janus would be at his interview until the late afternoon so Virgil settled in the apartment. A couple of hours passed and eventually Thomas emerged from his bedroom.

"Oh Tom you're shivering!" Virgil immediately jumped into action when he saw the little boy shaking and covered in his favourite Steven Universe blanket, and he helped drag Thomas back to his bedroom. But Thomas seemed pretty adamant on watching TV. "Come on Tom you're too sick for Disney."

"Just one movie?" Thomas chirped just as cutely and weakly as he did when he was two years old, when Virgil first met him. That little chirp always made Virgil have the desire to pick the boy up and cuddle him - but he had to resist this time.

Virgil tried to give Thomas a sympathetic look and a sigh. "Promise to lie down with your sick bowl?"

Thomas gleamed so widely and tumbled towards his bedroom again, getting his sick bowling lying on the sofa again. With any luck the boy will fall asleep soon. "What movie?"

"Wreck It Ralph." The boy mumbled softly, already covering himself in his blanket. The movie was turned on and the two watched in silence, Virgil smiling at Thomas every once in a while. He wasn't throwing up, which was good, maybe he was feeling better after all. Thomas was cute though - watching the movie with a smile on his face and sucking his thumb. It was hard to imagine the situation he was born into, the situation Janus escaped, who could hurt such a cute little boy and such an amazing, confident Janus.

Eventually Thomas started to speak as Wreck It Ralph introduced himself to Vanellope. "I want a Wreck It Ralph."

"Do you even know what arcades are kid?" Virgil joked, but Thomas was quiet again. For a second Virgil wondered whether that meant the six year old was going to throw up again but instead the little boy was just confused.

"Wreck It Ralph is nice and kind. He knows he gets angry but he's working on it." Poor kid, at least he was getting a good role model in his life. "Dad's been so busy lately and I'm worried he'll change."

Virgil really wanted to hug Thomas, but he also didn't want to get the curse of whatever sickness the kid had got at school. "He won't change kiddo. He's just making sure you get the best life possible." Thomas didn't say anything after that. "But if he does change you always have me! I'll make sure to stay right beside your side forever kiddo."

Thomas finally sat up, still pale and a little dazed but it was good he was practicing the strength. "Do you want to become my Dad?"

The door opening disturbed Virgil's reddening face and nervous thoughts. But the nervous thoughts started all over again when he heard Janus' adorable laugh. "I knew you two would be watching Disney." Janus chuckled, placing down his book-bag and immediately went to his son's side, touching his forehead. "How you feeling bud? Has Virgil been spoiling you?"

Luckily Thomas didn't seem to ask any questions about Virgil being a Dad for the rest of the day, and Virgil stayed the whole day helping Janus out and asking how the interview day went. It went super well, Janus got the job, and seeing Janus' smile really made Virgil want to kiss him. He had such a beautiful smile. Soon it became Thomas' bedtime though - he chose Virgil to read him a bedtime story while Janus cleaned up after dinner.

"Thank you so much for the help Virgil." Janus whispered as Virgil shut the six year old's bedroom door. Half his face was lit up by the moonlight and he had a sweet smirk. "I wanted to talk to you anyway."

"Oh, what about?"

"Just about the kiss we had four years ago." Janus knew Virgil was still heavily attracted to him. Every smile was met with blushing cheeks, every joke lead to a breathless laugh, and every hair swish was met with wide, impressed eyes. It seemed very difficult to hide and Janus would never complain about that. "I believe back then you mentioned you'd be willing to date me when I had a steady job and a place."

Virgil's cheeks were pink again at just the thought of dating Janus. "I wouldn't be against the idea of dating you now... If that's what you're insinuating."

"You just took a vacation day to take care of my sick son and watch Disney on your Disney+ account. You think I don't want to marry you right now?" Both men laughed a little but inside Virgil was freaking out that his crush of four years just insinuated they should get hitched. Janus' cadence then changed to a softer chime that Virgil had never heard before but it made him fall in love more. "I think I love you Virgil."

Virgil was definitely smiling wide and was red faced, living his dream. He was ready to move in with Janus and Thomas tonight and live a perfect family life like Thomas deserved. But one thing needed to be said first.

"I love you too."