(14) New Friend - Royality (and EmilexLogan)

Summary: Emile texts his dads that he has a friend coming after school, one that the couple hadn't met before. Gay-dars are activated.

TW - Psychology pick-up lines (that are very bad)

Words: 1337

"Would Emmy's friend want cupcakes dear?" Patton shouted from the kitchen, already mixing the batter. Patton had no self control when it came to baking, especially when excited. And the pair were relatively excited. Their son, Emile, was bringing home a friend after school. That wasn't too unusual as the couple's teenage son had quite a few friends that often came for projects or sleepovers or a warm dinner - the exciting part was that this was a completely new friend that neither Roman or Patton had heard about before. They didn't even know this kid's name - they did make sure to ask what pronouns to use for the new friend, he went by he/him pronouns.

The only thing they knew about this new friend was he was new to the high school. According to Emile he had been homeschooled all his life, only starting public school junior year of high school and therefore being the same grade as Emile. Emile also said the friend was very introverted and solitary, kept to himself until Emile and he sat next to each other in AP psychology class. When the friend realised they weren't the top of that class like they were with all his other classes a friendly rivalry started. And they became friends. Today was the first day they were going to 'hang out' out of school, and they decided on Emile's house.

Before Patton's husband could answer he heard his son's voice echo, and the front door opened. There was one blond boy with pink tips, the son the couple loved, followed by a taller and darker skinned boy that was a lot quieter. He gave Patton a small wave as he walked in. "Dad! Can Logan and I play video games in the living room?" Emile shouted for either of his fathers to respond. As they were both visible they both nodded and the pair went into the living room - Roman escaped to the kitchen to talk to his husband and give the teenagers peace.

This 'Logan' immediately caught Roman's attention. He was definitely a lot quieter and more nervous than all of Emile's other friends (even the friend called Virgil - who was literally petrified of everything). He spoke gently to Emile, making him speak gently back, about something they were learning in class while searching through video games. 

"Hey Puffball..." Roman whispered, wrapping an arm around Patton's waist. Patton smiled gleefully and gave his husband a kiss on the cheek, distracting himself from the cupcakes he was making for a second. Roman then guided his head towards the teens playing Minecraft together. "Do you think he's..." Roman flopped his wrist and giggled, keeping his voice low so the boys couldn't hear them. 

Patton giggled too and whispered back. "Maybe..." Then they examined the pair together further. Emile seemed mostly concentrated on the game, telling Logan to get coal and iron and cut down trees. Logan, however, seemed less involved with the game and more involved with the person next to him. Soft stares that made him smile, often getting distracted from the game in this smiley state, and then turning a deep pink whenever he'd be found to be staring. "Has Emmy got his first crush-ee? Aw, they're so cute together! What colour scheme shall we wear for their wedding?"

"Paps?" Emile's low voice was heard shouting into the room during Patton's freakout, making Patton quickly turn with an over exaggerated smile. "Can Lo stay for dinner and maybe sleepover? He seems a bit anxious about something and I want to make sure he's OK."

"Of course sweet-bun! Anything for you and your... friend..." Patton giggled after saying 'friend' making Emile look confused, and even Roman had to smile. The timer beeped indicating the cupcakes were ready. "Oh! That's your snack!" And just like that Patton disappeared with the hot tray into the living room and started a conversation with Logan, who only gave polite short answers. Emile got some juice out of the fridge and began pouring.

Roman leant closer to his son. He decided not to use words this time, instead opting to point at Logan and flop his wrist. Emile immediately understood what his Dad was insinuating and shrugged. "We haven't talked about it, if he is he isn't out yet. Don't think he is though - a lot of girls flirt with him and he seems awkward but receptive."

"Have you tried flirting with him just in case?"

Emile went red at that question and quickly shook his head. "I can't! He's way out my league even if he was gay. And there's no way he'd like me back."

"So you like him?" Patton excitedly whispered as he skipped back in, giving his son who was as red as a tomato a large hug. It was surprising Logan heard none of this conversation, or maybe he chose to ignore. "That's adorable! You're destined together! Who's walking you down the aisle?"

"Shut up! He's not gay!" Emile almost screamed to try to calm himself down, chugging the juice he had just gotten to calm his nerves. Roman and Patton only looked at each other and rolled their eyes with a smirk.

"Look Bubblegum, Paps and I have spent over 40 years decoding who was gay and who was not. We know." Emile shook his head again, also getting some jam presumably for his friend. "$10 for every pick-up line?" Roman offered, and Emile laughed and nodded. The pair always bet money to get each other to do things.

So Emile confidently walked into the living room and turned back to his world - well, the world that he and Logan had been working on together to create the cutest looking survival world. "Hey Logan?" Emile chirped, making Logan glance up with a soft smile. "Are you Broca's aphasia? Because you leave me speechless."

Logan immediately went red as his jaw dropped. He decided the best solution to this - experience - was to just silently continue to build. Emile didn't have that in the cards though. "Do I remember you from my dreams? Or is that a false memory?"

The fathers chuckled watching their son try to flirt. They had known their son was gay for years, but they never saw him flirt - this performance was making all the struggles of being gay parents worth it. The pair watched from the safety of their kitchen, Roman's arms wrapped around Patton's waist and his chin resting on his shoulder. Patton was munching on the spare cupcakes with a wide smile feeling so proud of his kiddo.

"Hey boy, are you a conditioned stimulus? Because you're making me drool." Emile was slowly getting closer to Logan, his cheeks still as pink as his hoodie. Logan also looked nervous, but not uncomfortable, and he wasn't leaning away. In fact he seemed to glance at Emile's lips for a second and take a quick breath.

"You're... You're like an independent variable the way you enlarge my bar graph." He whispered back, and Emile was freaking out inside.

Score. Roman grasped around his husband tighter with a wider smile. It might be creepy they were hiding and watching their son but it was all worth it when both boys leaned closer to each other and shared a cautious but happy kiss. Roman did have to cover his husband's mouth the moment of the kiss to prevent a perfectly timed fan-boy scream. Just after the kiss Emile looked to the side and spotted his Dads, but didn't stop smiling even when Patton zoomed towards him and gave the two teens a large hug.

And for the record, Roman had to walk Emile down the aisle on his wedding day. Patton wouldn't stop screaming and running towards the wedding arch as soon as he held his son's hand and saw the end goal of getting a son in law. He was still crying throughout the wedding day though, and Roman had to hold tears.