(110) We Will Get Married - Moceit

Summary: Throughout their entire childhood Janus and Patton haven't been able to marry each other - even though they've wanted to. But on June 26th 2015 that all changed.

TW - Mention of homophobic parents

Words: 2308

Tuesday, 4th of January 2000

Janus looked down at his worksheet holding his pencil by the fist, focusing on the matching activity his teacher had given him. All the other students were doing the same apart from the boy on the table next to the quiet first grader - the ever annoying Patton.

"Mrs Sanderson! Mrs Sanderson!" Patton was shouting, smiling, and waving an arm in the air; giggling ecstatically. The teacher, who was helping another student, eventually raised her head and brought a finger to her lips.

"Inside voice Patton. I'll help you in a second." She said, her voice a whisper compared to Patton's. Patton stopped speaking for a second - but only for a second as he tilted his head.

"It's not a question! I just want to know if circles are the same as balls? I love balls!"

Patton continued to chat and giggle to himself as if there was someone listening to him - there wasn't. Even the teacher had plugged the six year old out to focus on her other students that had more normal questions. The worksheet was just matching the shape to the name, it should only take a few minutes but Patton was making it take forever. Janus needed to concentrate but he couldn't. His classmate was just being too loud.

The cheery grade schooler was still giggling and asking questions about balls - a gleam on his face that seemed memorable. That gleam got stuck in Janus' mind after that and every single time the quiet kid saw Patton he had to look at his - even if it was just a second. There was something about Patton that seemed so... interesting.

*****

Thursday, 13th of March 2008

It wasn't often Janus arrived early to high school - but here he was. The clock had barely reached 7am and most classrooms were empty. There was no-one in the corridors either. Still, Janus didn't want to be spoken to. He got his textbooks from his locker and went into the bathroom that would be empty for at least an hour. It would be silent and Janus could rest in a stall and catch up on sleep.

But then he heard crying. For a moment he wondered whether he should just leave and find another bathroom but something in his mind was commanding him to walk forward. He could recognise the mumbles.

You see, Janus never had any friends. He just didn't understand them and they didn't understand him. Janus was quite brash, not in a truthful way all the time but if he knew someone was fucking up he felt like he needed to tell them so. And kids wanted to fuck up a lot. He also wasn't one to give compliments unless they were sarcastic and recently, as he was a freshman, everyone was so concerned with flirting. Guys were asking girls out and girls were winking at guys and giggling cuter when they were around. Janus just didn't understand it.

The crying quieted as soon as Janus walked in and just became sniffles. "Don't worry about hiding it. I ain't judging." He said clearly, and it was quiet again. He tried to identify who the crying person was by the sniffles. The cries were quiet and although he was in the boys' bathroom it sounded feminine. He couldn't quite identify something who sounded like that...

Eventually the stall door opened and someone walked towards the sink while Janus was on his phone. "Sorry..." A whisper came out - and Janus recognised that voice. It was the one and only Patton Ciasto.

Janus knew his eyes were wide and staring at the fellow high schooler, he needed to gather himself and be cool. "Hey, no need to apologise. What were you crying for?"