(105) Last To The Throne Part 1 - All platonic Patton with Roman/Remus & Virgil

Summary: Patton is the third in line to the throne being the youngest sibling to twin brothers. His father still wants to make sure he's settled the 'normal' way.

I'm starting to fall in love with Royal AUxKids AU don't mind me (plus evil King trope because I live under the British monarchy).

Words: 1154

"This suitor's ball will be perfect for all three of you to find a partner." The King spoke to his three sons as they ate dinner. The two oldest princes, Roman and Remus, raised their head and sighed until they heard the word 'three'.

"Patton too?" Roman spoke, finishing his serving of chocolate cake first before looking at his father and younger brother. The chocolate cake was a local delicacy the family enjoyed almost everyday - that's the life the four of them received being the richest in the land. The royal father nodded silently which made both royal twins raise an eyebrow. "No way! Pat's only just 16! Why does he have to think about marriage?"

Patton raised his head at that from scoffing the chocolate cake and looked at the rising tension between the second oldest prince and his father. He wiped some of the chocolate off his face before paying attention to what the King had to say. "I met your mother at a suitor's ball at 16, we entered courtship for two years and married on the day of my 18th birthday. It's the best solution for producing heirs."

"And the best solution for killing your wife." The oldest prince, Remus, scoffed under his breath before trapping chocolate in his mouth so he didn't argue more. The Queen died of some kind of disease when Patton was just a toddler - it was a sore subject for the whole family but it was often used as leverage against the princes growing up so now the princes were almost all grown they often used the death against their father and his weird rules.

The King was used to chippy responses from his sons so only sighed. "I want to die knowing all my avenues can take the throne if needed. There is no question about it - the ball is tomorrow."

There was no use actually arguing with the King of course. The princes knew to be quiet and only whisper to each other. The twins talked about how their brother was not old enough to think about marriage - at least they were in their early twenties while Patton was still a teenager. Patton was more concerned with stuffing his face with the remaining chocolate as he knew all this fuss was coming at some point in his life. That's what he got for being a prince.

After dinner Patton stood and bowed at his father before making his way to his room. Beside him at least now was his best friend and personal butler - Virgil who was also 16. "Well you don't look like the cheery chippy Prince Pat."

Patton fell on the bed face first and covered his head with a goose-feather pillow. Virgil had been the prince's best friend for a little over five years (and even more before he began working for him - he often had playdates with the prince as he was a grandson of a lord), so the pair were almost like brothers. Virgil sat on the bed and smirked. "Well I seem to be wrong. You're actually very happy aren't you?"

Eventually Patton revealed his head, his hair standing up due to static as he turned his head. "You'll still be with me when I'm married won't you?" Patton pouted, watching his best friend do a double take with his eyes. "The ball tomorrow is a suitor's ball. No doubt I'd have to choose a princess to marry by the end of the night." All Patton wanted to do was waltz to pretty music and drink non-alcoholic cider with his royal friends and brothers. He wasn't a kid just attending one of his brother's balls anymore though - he was an adult.

"Well, you knew this would happen since you're a prince." Virgil was always the type of person to bring reality into the situation. He sat on the bed next to Patton, staring ahead of him as if thinking of what to say. When Patton was a child he used to daydream of finding a princess and all that but now it just seemed completely alien and disgusting to think about. Love had never been disgusting before... "If you don't mind explaining, why are you feeling so... odd about this?"

Patton shrugged and turned to his back, staring up at the ceiling. Virgil relaxed and followed him at the other side of the bed - his face seemed concentrated on some thought. "What are you thinking about Shadowy Songbird?"

Virgil didn't look at his friend. He looked upset. "Do you have something on your mind?"

The butler wiped his face and sighed into his hands, his knees rising as his eyes kept hidden. "Yeah, yeah I do." He spoke softly, eventually ruffling his hand through his hair and sighing again. "Do you know what gay means Pat?"

The prince's face lit up and he smiled wide, laughing to himself. "It means happy! You're happy aren't you?" Patton was always quite innocent-minded - he was sheltered his entire life even from the kingdom his family ruled over. It was usually Virgil's job to teach him what the world was like outside the palace walls. And he was happy to do that until the moment he really wished his best friend made this easier on him.

"No... It means a person who's attracted to the same sex. Men attracted to men, women attracted to women..." Virgil's voice trailed off as he finally had the courage to look at his best friend. His heart was beating a million times harder than it should and Patton just looked confused. But the cogs in his brain were going - it would just take a little bit for him to put everything together. "I'm gay."

"So you want a prince?" Patton chirped with his smile on again, the smile that Virgil couldn't help but copy. There was a reason Virgil was best friends with this prince.

"I want a boyfriend - you know I can't marry princes." As Virgil was of a lower class he wasn't allowed to marry anything higher than a lord descendent. He did want a world where he could marry whoever he wanted but life wasn't like that yet. He'd try his best to educate Patton and change things though.

The friends were rendered to silence after that, staring at the ceiling together. "I didn't know you could do that." Patton eventually said, his hand trying to brush through his hair as Virgil turned to him.

"I wouldn't worry about it." Virgil laughed, his heart still beating but slower. Everything was alright now - his friend accepted him. He won't be hurt by the prince. "I just wanted you to know." Virgil's soft words were laced with happiness watching Patton's smile. Patton's amazing, joyful smile. "You'll find a princess tomorrow." He said, trying to convince himself. "And you'll be happy. Just like I'll be happy with a boyfriend."