(142) Trying My Best - Patton

Summary: Patton's a newly single Dad just trying his best to make his kiddos proud of him even though they're going through a pretty traumatic experience. But things get better with time - or at least that's what he tells himself.

TW - This is quite angsty, all about divorce and a parent leaving kids. Insults are thrown so stay safe kiddos!

Inspired by a chapter in a one shot book by @NessanityIsReal (please tell me I figured out how to tag people literally why is it so difficult).

Words: 1225

"Homemade mac and cheese for dinner kiddos!" Patton shouted happily as he put the mac and cheese into the oven, turning on the timer and enjoying the light sounds of The Beatles in the background. Moments like this was when Patton was in his element, just being a dad, and he loved being a parent to his three rambunctious teenage boys. His ex-wife, however, was much the opposite.

"That's my remote! Give it!" Virgil screamed in more of a screech, his voice heard loud and clear even though he was definitely in the living room. Roman was watching TV after he'd just finished homework - and by the sounds of it his little brother wasn't happy.

No-one in the house was happy, to be honest. The person that Patton thought was the love of his life had left him, and his kids, quicker than anyone could process. And the kids heard every word of the argument. It hurt. "I'm sorry you're too stupid to understand eighth grade!" Roman shouted back at his baby brother. "Maybe Mom wouldn't have left if you actually did well in your classes!"

"Please just shut up I'm trying to work!" The final middle child, Logan, shouted back from the dining room. He was trying to finish an essay and no doubt this didn't help him think - but he had really started to retreat into his schoolwork since his mom left. Roman and Virgil continued to bicker over the remote though, throwing insults at each other, Logan was covering his ears and almost crying. This had happened several times since Patton's wife left and Patton just wanted to hug all his babies.

So Patton marched into the living room, dragging the two arguing teens away from each other to hopefully silence the shouts and hisses. "That's enough you two! Can't you watch something together without insulting each other?"

"I don't want to watch something with such an egotistical idiot!"

"Neither do I!"

This hurt so much. All Patton could see when he saw his sons were the small infants, just like they were when they came into this world and were first cherished. Virgil especially was the baby of the family and he used to be protected by his big brothers to no end. Now he was alone, forced to fend for himself, and angry. Roman was getting ready for college before all this happened, super excited to become an adult, but now he had seemingly regressed into a chaotic, insecure kindergartener like he was when he became a big brother for the second time.

"Please just stop!" Patton screamed again as Virgil released a hiss at Roman's playground insult. He had to be strong but the emerging tears were making that difficult - he really had to take a step away.

The father let go of his son and marched upstairs, sniffling a little as he walked past the three bedrooms before reaching his own. The room was dark, even though the light blue used to be welcoming and joyful. Surrounding the bed were picture frames of Patton's family - or at least how they used to be - all smiling and hugging and peaceful.

Patton was immediately drawn to a photo on the dresser, one of Virgil's first day of elementary school. The three boys were smiling together - the two older ones were in 5th and 3rd grade so were happy to show their baby brother the works around 'big school'. They spent the whole day playing together and happily babbled to their parents about the games they played when they got home. Patton would do anything to get that moment back when the people he lived with actually felt like his family.

"Dad?" That chirp was Logan, Patton could tell his soft and calm voice from a mile away. When he opened the door the argument downstairs became louder but the teen closed the door again just as quick. "Are you alright?"

The father quickly sniffled and raised his head from the photograph, pretending like he was the happy-pappy-Patton he always was. "I'm fine kiddo! Just remembering when the three of you were cute, little babies. Look at you!" Patton turned the frame to show his child the small photo - but he only had a neutral expression as he watched his father.

Eventually Logan sighed and sat opposite Patton with his legs crossed and back straight. "You always tell me not to bottle up my emotions..."

"And I'm not kiddo! I'm... I'm crying." A few sniffles and tears escaped as Patton spoke but he tried to keep them down. He knew he should be a good role model for his kids but now he knew he had really messed them up. He really was a bad parent for making them go through this.

Or at least that's what he thought until he felt arms come around him in a hug. The world was quiet around him but he cherished in the warm hug as long as possible. Logan never gave hugs - while his older brother always adored hugs and cuddles and all things nice both Logan and Virgil were reserved with their affections, believing the words they said had more of an impact than what they did.

"You really don't have to do this kiddo." Patton mumbled, bringing his own arms around Logan and holding him in his lap just like he used to when the little nerd wanted bedtime toddler stories at 6pm. Logan ignored his father and just continued to hug. 

"You need this." Logan whispered, but then the pair enjoyed the silence with each other. It was nice to have the silence, but also amazing Patton had the support he desperately needed after being alone. 

After a while the door creaked open again, and Logan finally let go of his father to turn to the door openers. "You should be more kind to Dad." Logan commanded, his voice still calm as he knelt. Patton didn't want to look at who Logan was talking to. He just loved watching his son become an emotionally intelligent and kind young adult.

"Yeah, we know, sorry Dad." Roman came into Patton's blurry vision as he cleaned his glasses, Virgil also came into the room with a light blue handkerchief.

"I know you're finding this all difficult..." Patton started, but Roman didn't let him finish.

"We are, but there are healthier ways to go through this than attacking each other. We're all each other have now." Roman brought his baby brother into a hug and ruffled his hair, which he did have a few words to say about but he accepted the affections. "I promise we'll get better eventually."

Logan seemed to hesitate for a little but quickly spoke. "Maybe we can have some family therapy to sort things out? Therapy shouldn't be viewed as negative but rather as good medicine that will help us all grow stronger... As just us."

And Patton was so proud of his boys when they all nodded and agreed it was a good idea to sort out the cracks. "That sounds like a great idea!" Patton chirped, already feeling a little happier now the children weren't screaming at each other. The father grabbed his phone and looked online. "I'll book an appointment now, but let's first have dinner together."