(13) Evil Stepfather - Logince

Summary: Roman has been very nervous about his family lately. The light at the end of the tunnel for Roman has been his new boyfriend, Logan. But now he hopes his kids haven't taken the Disney fairytales to heart and will accept their new stepfather at first meeting.

TW - Divorce and slight homophobia

Words: 1423

"Flynn! Scarlett! Be careful!" Roman shouted up the stairs to his kids - 15 year old Flynn and 12 year old Scarlett, after hearing some crashes upstairs. He was stressed already about tonight. He had custody of the kids for the weekend and it was coincidently the same weekend of he and his boyfriend's anniversary. Roman had been avoiding showing his kids his new boyfriend for a very good reason. Roman divorced his wife after realising he was gay a decade too late - and that was the reason his kids had two houses and two Christmases and struggled with all the struggles of having separated parents. Adding a stepfather to the mix might make them hate him.

"When's he coming Dad?" Scarlett shouted down, her head hanging from the bannister and her smile wide. Roman sighed to himself and shouted back.

"Any time soon! Please be nice!" Logan had texted Roman that he was on his way around 5 minutes ago, so he was going to appear at any second. Roman met Logan around 2 years after the separation, they were both going to watch Hamilton and just so happened to be seated next to each other. It was heaven after that for Roman. He told Logan about his kids and he didn't seem to mind acting as a father figure when Roman was comfortable with that.

But soon there was a knock on the door. Roman saw his boyfriend and immediately smiled, catching him in a kiss and laughing. "Hey Book Germ." Roman giggled, clutching Logan's hand as both of them eskimo kissed. "You ready?"

"As long as you're comfortable." Logan soothed, stealing another kiss again before looking into the house where Scarlett was glancing confused. "Oh, hi little Miss. You must be Scarlett." Scarlett nodded shyly and stepped back as the couple walked in the house. "Your Dad told me a lot about you."

"OK..." Scarlett tried to pull the most neutral reaction, going towards the Nintendo Switch that Roman kept downstairs. "Flynn and I are going to play upstairs OK Dad?"

Logan could immediately tell Roman was hurt at his daughter's reaction, so grasped his boyfriend's hand tighter. "How about you two play down here so Logan can meet you?" Roman offered, but the curly haired ginger girl only shook her head and went upstairs again.

"It's alright Mr Meta Knight, give her time." Logan whispered after Scarlett disappearing, guiding Roman to the sofa and sitting down with him. "Let's just relax and watch a movie, if the kids come down again I'll introduce myself again. All you need to do is relax and support your kids."

So the pair decided to watch Lady and the Tramp together, cuddling and kissing as if Roman's kids weren't upstairs (although they kept it PG). But in all honesty this meeting was important to Roman. He wanted Logan to join the family within the evening as he wanted to propose to Logan. Sure, it was only their one year anniversary but he was the one, and Roman was sure of it. He just wanted his kids to support him in his decision.

"Hey, Flynn right?" Roman was dragged out of his thoughts hearing Logan's voice, and Flynn wondered into view holding a glass of water. "Nice to meet you bud, I'm Logan... You're in high school right?" Flynn nodded with the same somewhat angry look and stiff stance. "I'm a teacher at West End, you have any friends at that school?" Flynn shrugged after that and looked like he was trying to escape.

"Flynn please, try to be nice. Logan's being nice to you." Roman eventually said, leaning forward but keeping Logan's arm around his shoulders. Flynn shook his head and honestly looked disgusted. 

"This is all disgusting Dad, you're just being gross with this." Flynn snapped before walking back upstairs. The boyfriends could only be silent. Roman didn't raise his kids like that, or at least he thought that was the case. Even before he came out himself Roman and his wife made sure to teach their kids that love was love no matter genders.

Logan kissed Roman's forehead and sighed. What if that seriously upset Logan? Were they going to break up after that? He couldn't handle being without Logan now. "It's alright sweet-jam..." Logan whispered softly, no nerve in his voice. "He's just finding it all difficult I guess."

"I need to talk to him." Roman stood again, giving his boyfriend a quick kiss before determinedly marching upstairs. He knocked at the door of his son's room - where Mario Kart music was playing - and spoke. "Kids. Out now." He was ignored. "Kids. I mean it. Come out."

"You already destroyed our life when you came out." Flynn's voice was heard shouting through the door. "Couldn't you just be normal and stay with Mom? Why did you do this?"

"Flynn that's enough!" Roman eventually had to scream, taking a breath. He thought he and his ex-wife sorted the divorce well for the kids. The ex-wife was perfectly understanding at Roman's coming out and shared everything equally. She even helped him get his own place and they took each other's wedding rings off when not around the kids so both could act as single before they lived separately. "Scarlett, Flynn - I love you both. I just want to be happy and Logan makes me happy."

"And Mom didn't?" Scarlett eventually chirped. Roman paused to think before seeing Logan also emerge up the stairs to support his boyfriend if needed.

"She did, but I was living a lie back then. It got harder to be happy as we went along as I had this secret that only I knew. Now that secret is out I'm much happier with someone I truly love."

"But soon you'll realise you're straight again and hurt us again!" Flynn finally shouted. The shout made Logan hold his boyfriend's hand, offering to take him downstairs again. Although he wanted to refuse, Roman eventually needed to give in and escape before being hurt by his own bloodline.

So the couple ignored the kids for a few more hours, only trying again at dinner. They ordered takeaway pizza and Roman shouted down for the kids to come to dinner. Roman disappeared somewhere while Logan served himself in the kitchen - the kids arrived and ignored the other adult in the room. It was only until Logan spotted a Rubik's cube he felt compelled to move, grabbing the cube and quickly solving it. It was one of his hidden talents, he could solve any cube in under 30 seconds, and he used to be in Junior competitions as a child for it. When he solved it he placed it down again, only to find Scarlett staring at him wide eyed. "Oh, were you trying to solve that? Sorry for destroying your game."

"How did you do that so quick?" Scarlett gasped, running up to the Rubik's cube again and shuffling it. Logan smirked and took a bite of his pizza. He sat down at the dining table opposite the little girl.

"Shall I teach you?" He spoke gently as Scarlett gave him the cube again. He examined it and then spoke through his choices and why he made them - teaching his tactics and cheats. Scarlett continued to watch wide eyed and asking questions. Roman soon walked back into the kitchen but stayed silent to allow Logan to have this bonding moment.

Then Flynn appeared. "Just get your pizza and go Scar." He growled, quickly grabbing a pizza and giving death stares. Scarlett shrugged and kept on listening. Flynn then approached after that and faced Logan. "Look, gay guy. You aren't going to be part of our family just because of a Rubik's cube."

"I'm not expecting that yet. I'm only expecting you to accept your father and I and not spout the bull-crap you hear at school."

Flynn paused, his expression softening for a moment. Logan also spoke gentler in response. "I know you're better than what you say. And you love your family, which is good. Just show that love." And after that Flynn got a chair and sat with Logan and his sister. It was magic, Roman thought at first, but he also sat with his family and joined the conversation. 

So slowly they did become a family, and Roman was sure he wanted to propose. And Logan said yes of course, and they were happy.