(182) Doing What's Right - RemyxLogan

THIS IS ONE ANGSTY CHAPTER I'M WARNING YOU!

Summary: After a death in Logan's family he has to take his teenage brother, Virgil, into his and his husband's home. But it's hard for all of them - including the teenage Virgil.

TW - Parental death trauma, foster care, mention of self-harm and suicide (talked about but not described in detail), and running away.

Words: 2603

At thirty, Remy had the perfect life. He was adopted by two moms and turned out to be pansexual himself, got a job as a magazine editor which allowed him to stay at home, and he married an amazing high school teacher called Logan. Logan had a much different life as his father died in middle school, leaving him with his mother and a toddler baby brother, but things perked up when he fell in love with the very charismatic Remy. His mother was accepting of the relationship too so the couple never had any issues.

Until last month - Logan's mom died earlier than expected. So Remy was waiting in the living room while working on Photoshop, waiting for the door to open. Logan didn't want him at the funeral since he hadn't come out to a few family members yet and wasn't planning to - that was alright in Remy's books. Whatever made his husband more comfortable. He needed all the support he could get right now.

The front door quietly opened and closed and Remy raised his arm so Logan could fit under it. And that he did, leaning in and sniffling. Remy knew not to ask anything, he just stroked his husband's arm and continued working. "It was a beautiful service..." Logan eventually uttered out in a whisper, then buried his face in his lover's neck.

"Have you found out where Virgil's going yet?" Virgil, Logan's little brother, was still under 18 so as soon as the news of his mother's death was announced the family all rushed to support. Remy and Logan had discussed that their relationship would never involve anyone under 18 living with them so their main priority was making sure Virgil went to a safe environment.

But it seemed as though their attempts at securing a less traumatic life for Virgil had failed. "He's going into the foster care system. I'm allowed to keep up with him on social media... But no-one wanted to step up."

All Remy felt like he could do was kiss Logan's hair and brush a hand through it to reassure him Virgil will be OK. He will be - he was a strong kid - and in a few years time he'd be an adult so a short foster stay wouldn't matter much in the long run.

*****

Remy was very wrong about that though. Logan was never really one to be addicted to electronics, but as soon as Virgil was placed into his first foster home it was impossible to remove the teacher from it. This included on date nights - Remy would have a hand on Logan's upper thigh as they watched a movie alone together and Logan wouldn't care. He'd be talking to his brother.

"I cannot believe they made Verge change schools Re! And to this posh Catholic school no less, they obviously haven't taken his opinion into consideration..." This was the latest error that Virgil's new foster family - sending their new foster child to a good school to secure his future. Sure, it was religious, but that might just be their catchment area.

"Give him time babe. He'll find his group." Remy just wanted his husband's attention, he eventually managed to nudge his phone away and he got the idea. Nights carried on like that though. All until one afternoon when it all came to the tip.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and Logan was finally allowed to spend the day with his little brother and take him to the cinema and to get ice cream. Remy was working yet again and had just hung up from a Zoom call when he heard a slam from the front door.