(7) Stolen Books - Logan

Summary - Logan loses his toddler child, only to find her being exactly like his Dad and in a pile of books in Logan's library

I don't know if Logan have an obsessions with stars is canon or not but it feels like it should be - Also the picture above is just absolutely the cutest thing in the world!

Words: 1336

"Of course I'll bring Nova to your performance Roman..." Logan said as he was ushering his friends out the door. It's not that he didn't enjoy the company of his five friends - he loved their support actually when Logan decided to be a single parent - but his life was very busy with an energetic toddler and his job as a high school science teacher. All his friends had invited themselves round his house on a sunny afternoon and the six decided to have a picnic in his garden. Logan's daughter was mid-nap when they arrived however and needed to be woken at some point.

"How about we take her off your hands for a little bit Logie? You work so hard for her you deserve a break." Logan's best friend since middle school, Patton, chirped. His usual jumps were constrained by his emo boyfriend, 'Storm-Cloud' Virgil, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. Logan was grateful for his equally introverted friend who understood the concept of a social battery.

"I'm fine taking care of my daughter Pat, don't worry, we're visiting my parents this evening so I need to get her dressed up." He could hear Roman and Patton squeak together at that. The pair often bought millions of outfits for who they viewed as their niece and dressed her up like a doll throughout her life. Logan wasn't going to dress her quite so fashionista though - probably just put the galaxy dress she likes on her and attempt to brush her hair before she runs away. "Maybe she can visit tomorrow."

Luckily Logan was saved from more conversation by Janus and Remus dragging their extroverted brothers away, saying goodbye and throwing the remaining three in the backseat of their cars. When the door was shut Logan could finally take a deep breath - creating a timetable in his mind of how he was going to get Nova presentable enough to see the extended family. After all, the extended family was important to her. Nova was technically Logan's biological niece, but Logan's sister gave birth to her young and didn't feel mentally capable of raising a child. As Logan was much older than his sister and financially stable he took her in. Nova didn't know that of course - she called Logan 'Dad' since she could speak and the sister loved being Auntie. Still, family reunions were special for that reason.

"Nova!" Logan called upstairs, expecting Nova to either be playing dolls in her room or still asleep. He opened his daughter's room to find it empty - the covers in a ball on her bed and dolls mid house-game. "Nova?" He called again. Maybe she was hiding in a closet or under the bed as she loved hide and seek. "Come on girlie! We're visiting Granny and Grandpa later!" Still nothing. He waited in silence for a minute expecting the 4 year old to pop out from somewhere but no, the room was empty.

Where could she have gone? Logan tried to remember all his child's other hiding spots. She could have been in the kitchen eating all her Dad's favourite jam - after inspection she wasn't there. She could be playing in the garden - she wasn't there either when Logan stepped outside. The only other place he could think of was based off the one time Nova managed to sneak herself into the backseat of Roman's car and had impromptu babysitting. There was one person to call.

"Hey Whale Penis, what's up?" The crackling voice of Remus came through Roman's mobile phone, making Logan roll his eyes. Nova was always extra chaotic when she'd seen Remus.

"Have you seen Nova? I can't find her anywhere." Logan said as calm as he could manage, trying to listen for any child giggles on either his end of the phone or Remus'. The house at the other end of the line seemed relatively silent, save for the ever-playing Disney playlist and Roman 'rehearsing' for his role as Snow White.

"Not here bud, maybe Patton took her?"

"I think Verge would snitch and tell me if Nova had managed to squeeze in Janus' car." Logan was starting to sound a little panicked now, walking upstairs and back to Nova's room. Losing the child he had adopted less than two hours before she was due to be judged by the extended family was not a good move on his part. She could also be hurt wherever she is, and that panicked Logan more. What if she was taken by a dangerous stranger?

The Disney music abruptly stopped on the other end of the phone line and faint whispering was heard for a minute or two. "I can tell you're panicking Wolverine. We'll be on the lookout and ask the group if anyone has her or saw anything." It was rare Remus was so serious, especially to Logan as he loved driving him round the bend, but he was thankful whenever he was serious. The seriousness usually appeared when the topic was Nova - Remus understood the best that Logan loved her.

"Thanks, bye..." Logan hanged up almost out of breath, ruffling his hair before deciding going to his study and reading would be the best way to calm him. He focused on his steps and made his way towards the constellation books he loved to read - then realised one was missing. A big book on the life and death of stars was now a gap. Would a person who took Nova also take a star themed book just to mess with him? It must be someone who knew him very well if that was the case because now he was anxious and annoyed.

Logan marched upstairs to his room without much thought. Maybe he should call the police if he believed Nova was in real danger, but he needed to call Patton first as he'd be the type to take a book of stars knowing Nova was named after a star cycle. He was about to type the last digit of his friend's phone number as he opened the door to his bedroom, and found a familiar pile of blankets and fairy lights.

"What the fu...runculosis... God... Nova!" Logan almost screamed, moving the blankets slightly to reveal the toddler he was panicking over. "Nova! That was a mean game of hide and seek, I was worried." He picked her up to give her a hug - and that revealed where the star book was. Nova was trying to read it and had a dictionary next to her to try to find the words she didn't know. Logan had told her the purpose of a dictionary the week previous.

"Sorry Dada." Nova giggled giving her dad an equally big hug, dropping the book on Logan's foot which of course made him wince a little at its weight. "Sorry again."

"It's OK Starlight..." Logan whispered, placing Nova on his bed as she watched him with admiration. "What were you reading about?"

"Am I a superhero?" The toddler asked with complete seriousness making Logan giggle. "Is that why I don't have a Mommy? I'm like Batman but you're not dead yet." Logan smiled looking at the front of the book: From Protostars to Supernovas.

"Well, I don't have to die for you to be a superhero." Logan brought out one of Nova's prettiest dresses and co-ordinated an outfit. Nova began sucking her thumb. "Just don't refine your invisibility power, got it? Then you can be a superhero."

Nova giggled far louder and got off the bed. "Where's my supersuit? I wanna tell Granny and Gand-pa!" And she ran off, out the room, in search of the superhero outfit Virgil got her for her birthday. And Logan knew that's what she was going to wear for her family reunion, and she wasn't going to change until tomorrow most likely. Still, Logan loved his little girl with all his heart. Maybe he'll tell his daughter what supernovas actually are later.