(87) Be His Knight Part 2 - VirgilxEmile (and platonic Prinxiety)

Summary: Virgil takes up on his classmate's offer and agrees to help out at the old therapy place he went to when his Dad died. His older brothers acts as the perfect wingman.

TW - Mention of cancer at the end, but at least there's a cute kiss.

Words: 1999

"You're such a simp." Roman sat on his brother's bed and watched him apply nail polish on his broken nails. He only mumbled in response and shrugged. "Did I ever tell you how much of a simp you are Brad Pitt-iful?"

"I'm just helping a friend out - platonically." The teen eventually mumbled back, blowing on his black nails and looking at them through the mirror.

"Simp."

"I'm not! I only found out he was pan last week!" Roman still sat on his bed with a mischievous smile. He felt so proud of how far his brother had come since last time the two men had entered the Saint Steven's play therapy centre. At the start of this chapter Virgil was a scared five year old that used to cuddle into his older brother's bed at night, and now he was a nervous high schooler with one of his first ever crushes and was going to try to impress him (that much was obvious). The college student felt like a proud father - maybe since he was the replacement father while his brother grew up.

Virgil's hair was a mess even though he tried to brush it. Both him and his brother were given the everlasting memory of their Dad's curly hair - Roman always rocked the style but on Virgil it just looked alien so he mostly straightened it. On days he couldn't be bothered to straighten his hair, like this time, he wore his favourite beanie that hid most untameable strands.

His brother seemed to have a different idea as his glittery red curler was plugged in beside the desk the introverted teen sat at. "I know you want to look hot for Emile." That was the only thing Roman had to say before Virgil complied and removed his hat. He was so lucky to have such a supportive big brother in his life.

"Not hot, just less like I have a birds nest stapled to my scalp." Virgil corrected, but Roman just rolled his eyes and didn't respond. Inside his brain Virgil was freaking out as always - he'd had a crush on his best friend's cousin, Emile, ever since the cheery boy introduced himself at the beginning of junior year. Now he was most likely going to unload his feelings since he was in the place he spent a lot of his young childhood. A question escaped Virgil's lips before he could think about it as he watched his older brother delicately curl his hair. "Do you think Dad would have accepted us bro?"

There was a short silence before Roman answered as he was focusing. "I think so, Mom does. And he adored us to the moon and back." Virgil was almost five when his father died so he didn't remember/know much about the man that brought him into the world, but Roman was eleven so had lots of fond memories he liked to share. He did have to grow up quickly since he left but it was nice he had someone who related to him. After a few minutes Virgil's hair was fresh and curled - and just in time for his alarm to jingle telling him he needed to get to Saint Steven's.

*****

The bell rang as Virgil opened the door. The reception was small and a mix of pastel colours, clouds on the walls and everything looked clean and comfy. There was no Emile but there was someone Virgil knew well - one of his and his brother's old babysitters. "Virgil! Oh my goodness, hi! You've had a growth spirt?" A man around thirty years old was jumping and waving at him from the receptionist's chair. "You must be almost as tall as Roman!"

Patton managed the front desk of Saint Steven's after volunteering for the charity during college while Roman and Virgil were there (as Virgil had a strong bond with him out of all the babysitters). He did communications in the nearest college and always stayed near the family he used to babysit while his two brothers (who were also babysitters) moved away to become a lawyer and a psychologist.