(126) Another Year Older - Roceit

Summary: It's early February and it's Janus' birthday. To celebrate his husband Roman wants to make a simple day of it with their two sons.

I keep on watching Encanto on repeat so felt like doing some Hispanic Roman :) - Also happy birthday Janus (February 3rd)

Words: 1313

The alarm clock sounded as Janus sighed. He had to leave his husband's soft and protective arms and face the world of work and stress. He just wanted to bury his face into Roman's chest and ignore the fact he had to be an adult - so that's what he did.

"G'morning tesorito." Roman mumbled and brushed a soft hand through his lover's hair, kissing the strands that reached him and bringing his soulmate closer. Janus could melt whenever Roman spoke Spanish to him. He could also melt because of his reluctance to go to work. Roman still couldn't believe he was able to sleep next to a beautiful man like Janus himself. Everyday seemed like the perfect day for the man who spent an entire college class pining for the smartest dude in the class. "Do you remember you have to be an adult today?"

"No I don't." Janus mumbled in response, holding Roman's t-shirt and keeping the warmth as close to him as possible. "I'm too old for this." The man turned his head to his husband, a smirk on his face that Roman had to kiss. It would be illegal not to. 

Roman and Janus smiled at each other before Roman brought his husband in for another birthday kiss. "Only thirty years until retirement mi cielo." The growled voice of Roman whispered. He was so irresistible - and Janus could stay here all day kissing him. Unfortunately that was not in the cards as instead of having fingers tapping on the skin of his waist he was displeased by Roman dragging him off the bed. "Get to work cariño. I'll make sure everything's all ready for your birthday when you get back."

Janus lifted Roman off the bed and picked him up bridal style, kissing him passionately and marvelling in what all these years had brought him. He had transformed from a shy eighteen year old who lied to hide his vulnerability to a loving and doting husband and father. And he couldn't imagine any part of his life falling into any other way.

*****

"You want to lick the bowl mijo?" Roman called to his older son Kaspar, who was helping his Dad by decorating the living room with yellow decorations he made with his friends when Roman took him on a day out after his shift at work. Both men were busy fathers with chaotic kids but they made sure the boys felt loved and secure in their home.

It was Roman's thirtieth birthday when he and his husband first brought Kaspar home as an excitable toddler, with wide brown eyes and curly dark blond hair. He was only three but he already had so much love to give and he was the best birthday present Janus gave him (already they already knew they were going to adopt him for a while). And then during the winter three years ago Roman and Janus brought home a 'surprise' Christmas present for Kaspar in a year old little brother named Camilo.

"Can I have the yummy spoon?" Camilo sat next to Roman, gazing up at his father from the counter with his beautiful dark brown eyes. It was hard for Roman to believe his little baby was almost a kindergartener who could speak full sentences. That all came with getting older though, Janus must be thinking through all this a lot more.

Roman smiled at his sons as they sat together, Camilo licking the spoon the icing was spun with and Kaspar helping his father clean the table. The father loved baking with his family (or just baking in general - his younger brother was the cheery pastry chef downtown). He loved making handmade cakes for every occasion but especially for Janus. Janus gave the cutest smile when he was eating cake.

"The bowl can be for Dad too." Kaspar mumbled as he nonchalantly inspected the bowl that was filled with the remainders of lemon drizzle icing. While Kaspar was quieter than his younger brother he was very considerate of other people - and always wanted to give gifts even when there was no need to. Saying no to extra sugar was unusual though.

"You sure buddy? I'm sure Dad will be all full by the cake." Kaspar nodded and instead of eating the icing he grabbed some of the strawberries that were meant to be used as decoration when the cake was ready. There was the sweet tooth that was everywhere in Roman's bloodline.

The entire pack of strawberries Roman had just opened was soon an empty plastic packet, and Kaspar was wiping the red juice from his face with a dirty tea towel. "I'll check the door for Dad!" Kaspar cheered, then ran over to his younger brother and helped him from the chair he was placed on to his feet. Camilo of course watched his brother with the love he gave everyone in his family. "Come on Cam!"

Roman was definitely ready for another year of this. Hopefully no bad things would happen this year - just more of the same as Janus and Roman watched their sons grow together into the amazing young people they'll be sooner than either parent would like. Roman was missing the sleepless nights and general chaos of taking care of a baby... Is three too many kids to handle? He wanted to make sure each child got individual nurture but at the same time Janus looked so kissable with a baby carrier strapped around his chest...

"He's here!" Camilo shouted after staring out the window for quite a few minutes, enough minutes for Roman to peacefully bring the cake out the oven and decorate it without any more distractions than his brain wondering whether he and his husband were getting too old to adopt a baby.

Camilo zoomed past his father, not looking where he was going and instead keeping his eyes on his older brother. Roman picked him up to save him from the possibility of falling and placed him on his shoulders. "OK changuito remember to look at ahead of you when you run." Roman chuckled, receiving a giggle from his little monkey Camilo just as Kaspar started opening the front door. Protective father instincts kicked in and Roman held Kaspar back from opening the door at first, peeking through the window to check the boys did see their father's car and not just some psycho kidnapper. Sure enough Janus emerged from his bright yellow car with a smile on his face as he finally reached his home and family. "Alright lil chulo you can go."

Before Janus even saw the door being opened he was attacked by the hugs of his two sons taking the breath out of him and knocking him to the ground. He would happily replay that moment for the next thirty five years. 

And then Janus saw his husband, the love of his life, walking over at a slower pace to help his husband off the gravel. Every time Janus saw Roman he just got more attractive. "Don't hurt your Dad on his birthday burbujitos! Are you alright muñeco, mi vida?" Janus melted some more at the Spanish nicknames but kept his composure around the kids (although the double nickname was definitely used so Roman could see Janus' cheeks heat up). Roman wasn't going to get to see the heated cheeks though as Janus made sure to quickly bring him in for a kiss. "Mm... OK, you're alright. How was work?"

Janus held his husband by cupping his cheeks and tracing his pinky finger across his jawline, the children around them were trying to drag Janus by his suit inside so that he could open the presents and eat the cake they all made. Another year of this - or another year of whatever fate had in store - would be absolute heaven.