(96) Night-Time Panic - Dukexiety

Summary: Virgil has been a single father for years - it's only now he feels less stressed about parenthood now he's got someone to cuddle up to and reassure him he's being a good Dad.

Words: 1206

Virgil woke up from his slumber slightly but didn't open his eyes. He had stuff to do this day so he couldn't be an insomniac. 

Firstly, Autumn had to find a homecoming dress. She wore a suit to Prom last year but she demanded to change it up this year and wanted a beautiful expensive pink dress. And she wanted a makeup artist too but Virgil didn't know any that would be available. Virgil knew nothing about fashion and makeup but he'd have to figure out that now - that's what he had to do to raise a happy teenager.

Secondly, Omri had a science fair. It was the coming day that he had to bring his project to school to make sure it was allowed. It definitely was going to be though, it was the classic cliche volcano because Virgil was shit at science. Omri was an amazing scientist and wanted to do something else but Virgil didn't know how to help him or what to suggest. It was difficult to see him look so upset but it's not like Virgil could relearn the entire science curriculum in a month.

There was a wetness in Virgil's eyes again and his breath was quickening - great. Not only was Virgil a shit father but now he was crying about it like a wimp. Fathers were meant to be strong and stoic not a complete crying and panicking mess. 

An arm twisted around Virgil's waist before he made a sound. It grounded Virgil in his situation and reminded him that someone was there. In times before Virgil would be crying and panicking in his bed alone until morning and then he'd have to pretend everything was alright. Now he didn't have that.

He turned to the side still with his eyes closed and admired how it felt for the arm to stroke across his waist. His purple sleep shirt rode up a little and the arm's fingers stroked his bare skin happily which reassured him even more and made him feel even more sleepy. He missed having soft touches while he slept - he hadn't had things like that in years. But now was different.

Virgil met Remus three years ago, when Autumn was 13 and Omri was 9. For 9 years it had only been Virgil with his two kids and he tried managing everything parent-related alone along with his busy job as a psychiatrist. It was difficult but Autumn and Omri were good kids and understood their father's struggles. Remus worked as an art therapist, specialising in extremely traumatised kids which Virgil was super impressed at, and he was amazing when he first met Virgil's kids who were obviously super scared at the new man in their lives. The romance started quickly and continued through every step and now the pair were quite serious. Virgil was considering proposing to Remus whenever he had any free time to go ring shopping.

Remus mumbled in his sleep and kissed the tip of Virgil's nose, his hand firmly on Virgil's bare waist. They both knew the other was awake but didn't want to speak or move too quickly just in case. But when Remus kissed his boyfriend's forehead the nervous father finally had the courage to speak.

"Octopus?" Virgil mumbled the nickname Omri created when he first met the man. Remus smirked slightly and dragged himself further into a cuddle. "Are you alright?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing." Remus' whisper showed how close they were together even though neither had their eyes open. Virgil didn't respond and instead surrounded himself with Remus' warmth and smelled the bodily scent Virgil adored and missed smelling anything at night before he met his soulmate. They were flush against each other and speaking slowly because of their tiredness.

"There's a lot to do tomorrow." Virgil said after a silence and he kissed Remus' neck. He yawned and turned to lie on his back again so Remus could stroke his stomach. "I have work and Autumn's dress and Omri's science project..."

"We do. We can do it together." Virgil always forgot he wasn't alone and needed constant reminding - and Remus was happy to remind Virgil that they were going to be parents together. It took a while for Virgil to even accept someone else helping him with life but since Remus always wanted to be a father he was overjoyed when Virgil finally allowed him to see his kids. And when Omri and Autumn began calling him Dad he couldn't stop smiling. 

The silence between the two boyfriends extended a little more as Virgil smiled, reaching over and kissing Remus' cheek again. He was so lucky to be in this part of his life with such an amazing boyfriend that supported every step. He really was so sweet.

"I think you forgot something else this coming day sweetheart." Remus mumbled, kissing Virgil's cheek repeatedly and moving down to his neck. One of Virgil's eyes opened at that as he tried to remember every detail in his calendar - homecoming, science fair, parent-teacher conference at the middle school, it was his best friend Patton's birthday next week and Autumn wanted to go to the cinema with her friends on Friday... What else was there? Remus seemed to sense the panic erupting in Virgil again and held him tighter with a giggle. "Do you really not remember?"

"Please don't tell me it's important."

Remus laughed again and kissed Virgil's neck, also opening an eye to watch his boyfriend look so cute and nervous in the darkness where the only light was a slither of sunrise through the window. 

"Well, it's a big step." Remus mumbled, stroking Virgil's cheek as they both watched each other for a moment. There was still no activity in Virgil's brain reminding him of what he was talking about. They were already dating of course, Remus had already moved in, what other step was there? ... There was marriage, proposal. Was Remus going to propose? Virgil always thought he was going to ask the question and had been saving up to buy a ring. "Still nothing?" Virgil shook his head - he didn't want to guess and make things awkward. 

Remus finally kissed his boyfriend's lips, softly, and it always seemed addictive. "We have our first meeting to become adoptive parents." He finally revealed. Virgil blinked a few times as if processing the information before erupting into a giant smile. He was right - for a few months Remus and Virgil had been thinking about adding to their family together with a third kid and now they were actually going to start that step. They were going to raise another kid together.

"I'm so excited." Virgil whispered and dissolved himself into Remus' entire body again for more cuddles until they had to wake up and get the kids ready for their exciting and chaotic day. Remus will be a great father - he already was of course but this new step will be amazing. 

It didn't take long for Virgil and Remus to fall asleep again, cuddled up to each other, and they would never let go until they had to. Virgil was reassured and happy and didn't need to panic anymore.