(40) Doctor's Appointment - Analogical

Summary: Virgil's son, Patton, got too excited at the park and now his arm hurts. After getting very anxious about his little one's pain Virgil decides to take Patton to the hospital -only to find they were given a very attractive young doctor straight out of med school.

Words: 1165

Virgil held his son's hand and smiled widely at him, the joy the five year old showed was so infectious. "It'll be OK Pat." Virgil said as he looked ahead of him, the small village hospital, and avoided looking at his son as he said those words. He was trying to not over-react, the kid just fell over after all, but he was complaining his arm ached and that set off Virgil's anxiety. He had watched way too many medical documentaries to be calm over anything medical.

The village hospital was small and quaint, not a place that caused Virgil to be anxious. There was limited staff and limited patients, not many people had to stay overnight. Virgil knew each doctor by name as most of them had stayed at the same hospital since Virgil's first visit as a teenager to get some anxiety medication.

He walked up to the front desk and spoke gently, Patton ran off to the children's play area. "Is Dr Talyn available? They're my son's regular doctor."

The two ladies at the front desk looked through their databases or whatever they were employed to do. One of them eventually turned to him. "Dr Talyn's retired now, but there's a new doctor free if you want an appointment straight away."

"Yes, yes, that would be perfect." Virgil mumbled back, hearing his son giggling with the other kids waiting for their appointments and climbing on the seats for hide and seek with two boys Virgil recognised were in the same elementary school. After talking some more he sat in the waiting room and waited for his and his son's name to be called. Patton didn't seem to care his arm hurt while playing, although he was a bit less willing to use said arm and mumbled a painful squeak whenever he actually used it.

After a few minutes the nurse collected Virgil and Patton and placed them in a separate room. Patton was still running around and exploring the room, finding a stray stethoscope and grabbing it to pretend he was a doctor himself. "Is my heart healthy Dr Blitz?" Virgil laughed as he kept his eyes on his son who was now seeing what else he could use to play doctor.

Soon though the father and son were disturbed by the door opening and a low giggle to distract Virgil from watching his son. "Sorry about the wait." The new member of the room said to Virgil - Virgil's heartbeat was definitely not healthy now. It was beating fast. Patton paused his running and approached the new doctor with a curious look. The doctor smiled down at him. "I'm Dr Thomas, and you are?"

"Dr Patton Blitz!" Patton exclaimed and sat on his father's lap. Another soft laugh escaped Dr Thomas that made Virgil feel even more homosexual. Dr Thomas sat opposite the pair of them and grabbed the limited tools he still had, allowing Patton to still keep the stethoscope round his neck. His eyes glowed when talking to the little boy and asking him questions, exaggerating his facial expressions and making him laugh as he did all his doctor stuff. On his chest was a name tag: Dr Logan Thomas, paediatrics. He didn't look very much like a paediatric doctor, he looked too serious for that, but that might be why he was in this small hospital where he spent most of his time playing with the kids rather than dealing with actual serious illnesses in lives too young.

Eventually Dr Thomas got to his conclusion. "It's just a sprained wrist Mr Blitz." The doctor turned to Virgil and placed his equipment away where Patton couldn't reach. He then turned to his patient. "So that means lots of rest buddy and you can use an ice pack to make it feel better. Tell your Dad if it's getting worse or you get a temperature, OK?"

Patton nodded and leaped off Virgil's lap to the door, he had been promised an ice cream sundae before the appointment so that was his next task of the day. The doctor walked back to his desk for a moment and retrieved a rainbow lollipop, clearing his throat. "Dr Patton I think you forgot something." Of course the 5 year old ran back to his new doctor friend, but didn't realise he had to give the stethoscope back.

"Give the nice doctor the stethoscope back." Virgil smiled at his boy and tugged the stethoscope off the excited child. Dr Thomas chuckled in return and looked through his desk again. "Sorry about his enthusiasm."

"That's nothing to be sorry for - would he like a stethoscope of his own?" Patton's face filled with more excitement seeing a light blue smaller stethoscope emerge from a drawer, covered in flowers and puppies - seemingly designed for Patton. Patton took it without even a thank you and started examining his father's heartbeat again. While Virgil would love to stay with the attractive new doctor for the rest of the day he did eventually summon his son to leave the room with the promise of even more ice cream than before.

With any luck, and Virgil considered himself a lucky guy, Patton would get not-so-seriously hurt again by just being a clumsy elementary schooler and Virgil could meet the attractive Dr Thomas again. He didn't keep his hopes up though, he was a protective father after all.

****

Virgil kept his eyes on his weekly shopping list instead of the many people around him also doing the same. He must have been too distracted listening to his emo playlist to realise a person was stood still in front of him - and he walked into that person. "Oh, I'm sorry." The voice apologised, the voice made Virgil's heart quicken and his gayness increase. Dr Thomas also smiled in recognition.

"Dr Thomas?" Virgil eventually managed to breath out, trying not to glance at the doctor's lips otherwise he'd probably have fantasies the following nights.

"Call me Logan." Dr Thomas smiled back, facing the shelves full of different brands of jam. Virgil grabbed one to pretend he was meant to be there, Logan grabbed four because... no, there's no sane reason why someone would need that many jams. "How's Patton doing? No temperature or changes to report?"

"Nothing of the sort, he's his usual happy self." Virgil chuckled and rolled his eyes remembering Patton's enthusiasm this particular day at the park to find the biggest fish in the river and get himself all wet. While in this daydream state over his son Virgil realised something - something very important to Virgil's attraction to the young doctor. On Logan's chest was a small rainbow pin - not too visible but not hidden either. But the more he looked and descended into gay panic the more he realised Logan's growing nervousness. "Oh - uh - Patton loves the stethoscope by the way. He won't stop using it."

Logan laughed only a little and nodded, nerves taking over. He probably thought the only gay single in the village was a massive homophobe purely because of a gay panic. Virgil had to reassure him. The only thing was he wan't great at being subtle, and there were homophobes around the shopping centre that could explode like mines. "It's great there's another... prideful person in the village. I'm not the only one anymore."

"You're gay too?" Logan quickly chirped, his eyes widening slightly as he couldn't help bring a smile to his own face. Virgil smiled too. "Oh... well in that case, how about we get a coffee after we finish shopping? I wouldn't mind talking with you..." The nerves in Logan's voice increased again at the word 'talking' - but in a different way. A way Virgil found to be the most adorable.

"Sure. Let's do that."