(16) Just One Cookie - Patton

Summary: Patton takes his daughter to the bakery during their day out, and allows her to choose one cookie to eat. However Patton struggled to set an example to his offspring.

And yes the Riley is based off the videos of the toddler who always wears a duck onesie on TikTok (I don't know how mainstream her videos are but she is the cutest!)

Words: 688

"Be careful Riley!" Patton giggled watching his daughter walk along the pavement out of her buggy, dressed in her frog onesie with a pink tutu and tiara. Patton will miss when his daughter won't be a small and adorable baby - but he knew he'd need to let go. There's always more dogs to adopt anyway.

The father and daughter had just taken their three dogs to the park (yes, three - all neutered and all loved), and now it was time to go home. Riley had enjoyed showing the swans her frog outfit and trying to blend in with the rest of the frogs at the park. There were lots of cute pictures taken for the picture book of course. Patton was so proud of his daughter doing anything.

"Cookie!" Riley shouted standing in front of the local bakery. Every step Patton took lead to sweet treats, and his daughter had as sweet a tooth as her father. "Cookie Dad?"

"Sure kiddo." Patton smiled, walking into the bakery with Riley enthusiastically following. "Just one though."

Patton and Riley admired all the freshly baked goods enthusiastically, Patton ordered a cup of tea prior to making the big decision of which sugar to ingest. Riley was pointing at each treat and reading its name or saying what colour it was, making Patton smile. He adored his daughter with all his heart - he said it once he'll say it again.

Soon the pair found a small round table by the window that they sat at with their dogs, their drinks and their cakes. Riley chose a blueberry and chocolate cookie and a vanilla milkshake and Patton chose a blueberry muffin. Both ate happily, giving a few crumbs to their dogs and watching everyone else continue their day. Riley was babbling about the frogs they saw at the park and how she was definitely a frog. Patton agreed and entertained her fantasy.

However the more and more Patton's muffin disappeared the more and more he glanced at the cabinet of sweet treats again. There were so many things that he wanted to eat: cookies, cupcakes, muffins, cake slices, waffles... And his mouth was watering.

"Papa... More?" Riley chirped with the smallest smirk, maybe something she learnt from her Uncle Virgil. But Patton shook his head and began to stand, the pair needed to get home soon for stories and movie night. "Pretty please with cherries on top?" Riley smiled again, her puppy eyes showing as she begged. Again Patton shook his head.

The family's Bichon Frise, Snowflake, yapped and sniffed around the store instead of staying by Patton's feet. Riley giggled and followed him - and the pair arrived in front of the sweets again.

"Would you like another cookie little one?" The baker smiled at the little toddler. Everyone that encountered Riley were immediately overcome with her infectious cuteness, inherited from her father, and that included complete strangers. Riley enthusiastically nodded just before Patton stepped in.

"No, honey, we already had our treat." Patton picked Riley up quickly, smiling at the baker. Riley mumbled and pouted, her puppy eyes watching her father that she loved with the whole world. In times like these Patton wished he had the inner strength of his friends like Virgil or Logan. They had the power to refuse the toddler's cuteness and say no, but Patton spoiled his daughter all the time. "Actually... Can we have one more thing please?"

Riley smiled wide at her accomplishment, then pointed at the thickest and richest chocolate cake in the world. "Chocolate cake!" She screamed and giggled, then held up two little fingers. "Two! One for me one for Pa!"

The baker laughed and got two pieces on cake, placing them in a box assuming the pair weren't going to stay. Riley did choose the most expensive item on the menu unfortunately, but he didn't mind. The smile on his daughter's face was all worth it, even if that smile would soon be covered by chocolate icing that she'd refuse to wash off.

But Patton loved his little girl, and he'll love her for eternity and back.