(33) You're Not A Damsel - Roman (/Creativitwins)

This is not Rem-Rom. Repeat - this is not Rem-Rom.

Summary: When Roman started raising 3 daughters, they never believed there would be too many issues. They loved their kids and they loved their parent, especially when they were all dressed as princesses ready for their weekly dinner party. Life still isn't without issues though.

Roman also uses they/them pronouns and is a non-binary parent :)

Words: 671

"Daaaad! Hurry up!" Jade screamed from the living room, standing on the sofa and jumping on the cushions. Her little sister Emma was next to her and they were both enthusiastically watching the bathroom door. Roman was in the bathroom putting on make-up and a red princess dress - believed to be an old Barbie dress they wore once as a teenager but has since been used when their daughters wanted a tea party. Also in the bathroom was 3 year old Brooke who also wanted to wear some lipstick and blusher. 

"Royal Roman has arrived." Roman leant against the wall as they entered, a hand resting on their forehead dramatically with a smile. The dining room table was all set up with pink chi tea, white tea-cups, cookies and strawberries galore and flowers in the centre of the table. Brooke, Emma and Jade sat at the table happily and started serving each other tea and cherry cookies. "Can you pass me a strawberry Princess Emma?"

For a few minutes Roman and their daughters had their tea party, acting posh and polite and holding up their pinkies while exchanging jokes and laughing. At the back of the room was the less extravagant Remus, Roman's cousin that was more like a brother. Remus brushed his sawdust hands against his shirt, as he had just finished some woodwork, and then smiled mischievously at the Brooke. The youngest daughter smiled back, feeling none the wiser.

Remus grabbed Brooke and began tickling her, making all kinds of vicious growling noises and cackles. "The Dragon Witch has trapped the Princess! We need to save her!" Roman screamed and stood, grabbing a fork and holding it like a sword. Remus laughed but continued the tickling dragging the small child away from the rest of her family. But while Roman prepared for action Emma and Jade were sat patiently but confused. "Come on princesses! Let's save your sister."

Jade and Emma looked confused again and chirped up. "Princesses don't save people, we're meant to be damsels!"

"Who told you that?" Remus snapped out of the Dragon Witch character straight away and let Brooke go, she ran back to her chi tea and continued feeding herself while her older sisters were interrogated. One thing both Roman and Remus hated were the forced heteronormativity. 

"We were playing with a guy at school and he said only boys save girls and girls don't save boys." Jade shrugged again, sipping her tea and just continuing eating like her sister. Roman and Remus sighed and mumbled to themselves about how to properly parent this situation. They decided to sit down and have a chat about the everyday sexism in the 21st century in a way that's familiar for elementary schoolers.

"That might be what a lot of people think is right, but in honesty you can be both a damsel or a hero." Remus smiled and sat down for the tea party, also taking some food and drinks. "No-one can tell any of you what to do."

"Even though I'm a girl?"

"Having a penis does not equate to fighting Dragon Witches." Remus snapped back, taking a large sip of his tea while his nieces looked at him confused again. Roman risked letting a laugh escape. "Was that not PG?"

"What's most important is that you tell that boy that girls can do anything as soon as you start school tomorrow." The girl nodded happily at their parent's words, planning a way to show this sexist child that girls are all powerful beings and can defeat any guy within one recess. Remus smirked and picked up Brooke again with the same growls and hisses. "The Dragon Witch is back!"

So for the rest of the morning the girls repeatedly destroyed the Dragon Witch, taking turns with the final stab each time. Roman only played along the first two times, and for the rest of the display they watched the girls play happily and feeling immensely proud of their family. They loved their kids.