(134) The Mark of Love - Dukexiety

Summary: The morning run is disturbed when Virgil's kids find a mark on their father's neck. He assures them that he and their other father didn't get into a fight last night - much the opposite.

TW - Mention of physical violence (there is none though) and mention of smut and ... the after parts...

Extra points if you could figure out the theme of the kid's names XD

Words: 1013

Virgil rustled a little in the bed as he woke, the sun slithering past the windows as his alarm clock rang. When his eyes open he was facing Remus, who was still lying on his back with one hand loosely holding the bed frame. "Good morning Ratman." Virgil laughed, his voice still raspy as he leant over to kiss Remus' pretty lips. And, oh God, were they pretty.

"Mornin' Stormcloud..." Remus mumbled back, his voice raspy too as he nonchalantly held the bottom of his husband's purple sleep shirt. "You have work today?"

"Only later." Virgil's lips brought themselves closer to Remus again, a hand reached into Remus' black curls and dared a small tug. Escalating the situation was disturbed by their smiles. They couldn't escalate the situation this time though of course. Virgil would do anything to lie in bed and cuddle his husband just as they did years and years ago - but now they were fathers to two amazing children and had adult responsibilities to do. "But we need to get the kids ready for school."

Remus grumbled as his husband finally had the power to lean away, sitting up and yawning as he decided what to wear that day. "Mmm... I don't know if I have the energy to get up. You really opened me up last night."

"Oh shut up!" Virgil laughed back, kissing Remus' cheek and slapping it playfully. But Remus still didn't move... Virgil really must have made an impact the night before. 

There wasn't enough time for Virgil to carry on kissing and loving his husband. Straight after his shower he checked his bedroom, finding Remus fast asleep as he didn't have work that day, then he went to his older son's bedroom. "OK, Flint! It's Monday!" Virgil shouted between his knocks, trusting that the twelve year old could wake himself up. The much harder to wake up would be the couple's six year old girl.

The daughter's room was covered in blue, her favourite colour. Remus had even created a stained glass window that was lying on top of the real window to make everything a soft blue tint. "Lapi, up you get girl!" Lapis was snuggled in bed exactly as Virgil left her the night before, cuddling an Elsa teddy. When Virgil held her in her arms she began to snuggle in a little more to show she was awake. "Are you excited to see Mr Morales today?"

Lapis' eyes opened slowly as her hands gripped onto Virgil's shoulders as the father carried her out of her bedroom. But her hands landed on a sensitive mark that was on Virgil's neck. He flinched at the touch before laughing to himself - but Lapis' mind immediately went into her inherited nervous state. 

"Dad why do you have a bruise?"

"It's alright sweetie - it's just a little mark." Virgil chirped quickly, opening the door to Flint's room to find him going through all his black and grey outfits to decide what to wear. "Flint? How about you shower first, or can Lapi take it first?"

"You can take it... Dad?" Flint looked more mortified when he saw the bruise on his father's neck, visibly cringing just the way middle schoolers do. "Ew! What is on your neck?"

"You can see it too?" Lapis screamed, receiving a reluctant nod from her older brother. "Is Daddy hurt? Who hurt you last night Dad? Was it Dad?" Concern was written all over Lapis' face and Flint looked like he'd rather jump out of the second story window than face this conversation. Honestly, when Virgil first received the hickeys he didn't give a second thought about how his kids would react to it. The two husbands were just in the moment they didn't think of anyone else.

But at the moment Virgil was scared, but also happy he raised such a caring little girl. He sat on the floor of his son's bedroom and held Lapis' hands, keeping eye contact and a soft smile. "Lapis, Lapis, listen to me." Lapis eventually silenced, sitting down too and watching her favourite parent (even though he knew in reality she loved both her fathers). "I'm not hurt. I promise I'll tell you if I was - just like you'd tell me, yeah?" Lapis nodded, and so did Flint as he was also unfortunately being forced to listen in.

"Can I not hear all the detail?" Flint grumbled, grabbing a towel and going to the bathroom. Since Flint was a middle schooler he probably knew all the details he needed to so Virgil nodded - but Lapis still seemed inconsolable and worried for her parents.

"Anyway, you don't need to worry about your fathers kiddo." Virgil dragged his daughter into a hug, kissing her cheek and just enjoying her childhood innocence. Soon, just like Flint did, she'd be too old for random cuddles and the fathers wouldn't have any cuddly babies. And they were too old and chaotic to have any more now. "We love each other as much as we love you, OK?"

Lapis' eyes were bright, just like Remus'. For this reason Virgil was forever thankful that they decided to use Remus' equipment for their kids. They turned out to be the cutest since they were related to the cutest man Virgil had ever met. "Love you girlie."

"Love you too Dad!"

"Not as much as I love him rascal."

Virgil quickly turned around to see his husband, gleaming and leaning against the doorframe to watch his lover and daughter be adorable together. He tried sleeping when Virgil left the room but as usual Remus got lonely so he needed to cuddle Virgil again. So he did - he sat on the floor with Virgil and wrapped an arm around his waist, kissing the half-hidden hickey left the night before. "Did I really leave that babe?" Remus chirped, stroking the hickey and smiling like a goofball. Virgil rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out in response.

But of course both men knew the answer - and they adored it.