(68) Baby? - Anxceit

Summary: It's Janus' and Virgil's first night being parents. No-one told them how to be parents though.

Words: 1131

It was 5am when Janus heard the cries. His boyfriend, Virgil, was half asleep on his shoulder but smiled hearing the cries of their new family member. They were fathers now.

The small baby was in his hands, cooing and mumbling, Virgil was smiling at it and stroking the outline of the arm in the blanket. He was definitely smaller than Janus thought. Maybe that was because most babies he saw were in film and TV and they were usually a few months old when filmed. The baby eventually opened his eyes to reveal baby blue eyes just like Virgil's - brown hair like Virgil too but hopefully it would lighten to Janus' shade. He was a mix between both of them, rather a mix between Janus and Virgil's sister but that was the best they could do. 

While the boyfriends expected Virgil's sister would want to be around them some more she ordered them to get home with their new son and get some sleep. The partners got to their apartment and reached the Moses basket their baby would be staying in for the first few nights. Virgil collapsed into bed and Janus just watched the bassinet. 

"Do we send Noah to sleep now?" Janus mumbled. Their son, Noah, seemed wide awake or at least as awake as a newborn could be. Eventually he could hear Virgil turning his head and sighing.

"How long has he been awake?" The grumble of Virgil's voice emerged from a pillow. He wasn't the type to stay up at night unlike his security guard boyfriend, once he knew what to do with the infant Janus might make a cup of coffee for him.

Janus sighed and sat on the bed, keeping Noah close to his chest. "I don't think Violet kept a timer on Noah's sleeping schedule during the pregnancy." He whispered - he didn't feel like he could go above a whisper at this moment - Noah was just too small and delicate for normal speech.

One of Virgil's eyes opened and he slowly sat up to lean against Janus. "Do we have to... What's it called? Handcuff him?" Virgil could hardly get the words he was saying. But he was tugging on the blanket around Noah so Janus understood what he was saying.

Janus' chuckle woke Virgil up slightly and made him smile. "Raccoon, do you mean swaddling him?"

Virgil nodded softly. He leant down and gave Noah a kiss on the forehead - his smile was wide seeing what the couple now had together. When they first discussed having kids together they believed adoption was the only option, having Virgil's sister as a surrogate was little short of a miracle. Already, even though Noah had only been in the couple's lives for just over an hour, their little boy was perfect.

"I think he's swaddled tight enough already." Janus said after a moment of silence between the two. Virgil mumbled in agreement and gave his boyfriend a kiss on the forehead. "He has Logan's ever bored expression."

"I'm sure he'd love hearing Uncle Logan chatter on about quantum physics." Hearing the idea of quantum physics made Noah cry a little, Janus immediately rocking him and then placing him in the bassinet. Noah's eyes began to close and a small yawn escaped him. Janus could finally snuggle up next to his boyfriend and fall asleep too.

*****

Soft cries woke Janus up in the morning. He turned his head and saw Virgil in his oversized hoodie and sweatpants holding their baby. He had messy hair and blue under his eyes - both father and son were yawning. "I'm holding him right aren't I, Jan? He's still crying."

Janus sat up and put his arm around Virgil's shoulders. Noah was turning as much as he could in his young age, his lips moving closed and open, his fists trying to escape the swaddle that was a bit more loose after sleeping.

Virgil finally looked at his boyfriend when he received a kiss on the temple. "I'll get him a bottle." Janus whispered, disappearing out the room and presumably to the kitchen. The other new father sat on the bed again and smiled at his son.

"How do you feel today buddy? Want to go back to the uterus yet?" Virgil chuckled, kissing Noah's forehead and unleashing him from the snake themed swaddle as he seemed to want freedom. Noah's head turned to Virgil's t-shirt and he began to suck. "I'm afraid I can't do that for you - we have to wait for other Dad." He laughed. He was in love with this little boy already and it had only been five hours. He was absolutely perfect.

Janus emerged again with a warm baby beaker and snuggled into his boyfriend, holding the bottle while Noah sucked. "Ooh you're definitely hungry aren't you?" Virgil asked his son in the baby voice Janus loved to hear. He was so excited to hear that voice every morning. "What's he going to be dressed in today?"

"I was thinking the blue dress as it's a heatwave." Janus looked towards the dresser that had all the newborn outfits the couple had bought in their excitement. This meant he couldn't see his boyfriend's pout though.

"But the onesies are thin!" Virgil moaned as Noah finished the entire bottle. "I vote spider or cloud onesies."

Janus scowled but kissed his boyfriend to remove the pout. "Those are nightwear. The apple and snake one is daywear." Virgil pouted again. The pout always made sure Virgil got his way. Things were changing though - Janus was a father now and would help his kid be safe even though Virgil's puppy eyes were absolutely irresistible. 

"But we already gave him the snake swaddle! He needs variety Harvey Dense."

Before Janus could argue back Noah let out a loud unholy screech and threw his arms in the air. "Shit! What did I do with him?" Virgil almost screamed too - rocking Noah back and forth but that didn't seem to help - he was still screaming. And Virgil was panicked.

"Did you burp him babe?" Janus said calmly, pecking Virgil's lips and taking Noah in his arms. He pat the baby's back a few times as he screamed - but eventually the small being let out a burp almost as loud as his screams and stopped crying. "There we go. We'll learn."

"We definitely will." Virgil laughed, cuddling into his boyfriend again and smiling softly. This was a big change, a change that would last a lot longer than any of the other things Virgil had decided for a while, but he was happy for it. He'd be a good father for this little soft being that now relied on him and his lover.