(175) Stern Faced Baby Fever - Intrulogical

Summary: Logan has never been seen as a softie around kids, that's until he's tasked to be an amazing Uncle for his fiancé's nieces and nephews.

Words: 1479

Remus was undeniably close with his family. He was the middle child with his twin, Roman, by his side; along with an older sister Valerie and a younger brother Thomas. The family never had disagreements or arguments throughout the years and were perfectly accepting of any queerness, celebrating pride together every year. That's why it was a shock to the entire family when Remus accepted a full scholarship to major in graphic design at the University of Florida, a university at the opposite side of the country to his family's native New Hampshire. It wasn't that surprising when he met and started dating a nerdy data science major called Logan though.

Still, Remus couldn't be without his family for too long, so after working down in Florida with his partner for a couple of years he moved back to New Hampshire to be close to his family. Logan was a native Floridian but had an unaccepting family so was perfectly willing to up-root his life away from his side of the family in favour for a more close relationship to more accepting in-laws. Remus proposed to Logan by climbing on top of a moving truck and getting Spider-Man kissed so the couple were fully prepared for this to be a forever deal.

"So when are kids coming from you two?" The dreaded question was chirped by one of Remus' aunts as Logan was showing off his wondrous wedding ring. Remus' family were holding a 'welcome home' party for the newly engaged couple so there was no escaping awkward family questions.

"We'll probably wait until Lo's settled into his new school auntie." Remus mumbled, stroking Logan's shoulder and accepting the small talk. Unlike Remus who was a digital marketer so could keep his job at the company he previously worked at throughout the move, Logan was a high school teacher and therefore, unfortunately, had to work from the beginning to gain the respect and pay he had at his Florida school.

Remus' uncle, who was sitting on a recliner and taking a breath of his vape, mumbled a follow-up question made out of pure and honest curiosity. "So... How do you two make kids anyway?"

"There's several ways Uncle. We could adopt, and I think I'd like to at some point. Or we can have a surrogate that would be genetically half one of us... I'm not that fussed about genetics though." Remus' vision slowly moved away from his uncle and towards his fiancé, his eyes trapped and watching Logan's silent and emotionless expression. This was technically the first time the couple were talking about having kids - neither of them had an aversion to kids so it felt safe for Remus to answer for his husband.

In all honesty though Logan was not appreciating this conversation. Kids just felt like one big responsibility that seemed impossible to get right, and Logan was a perfectionist so he'd have to get every detail right. What if his kid hurt themselves when learning to walk? What if they were bullied at school? What if they were the bully? There were so many things that could go wrong and Logan didn't want to see himself mess up an innocent human.

"UNCLE REMUS!" That was the scream of the youngest members of Remus' family, the nieces and nephews. Valerie had three kids already as she loved to be around kids and even worked as an elementary school teacher. All three kids were walking and talking beings by now and they loved all of their Uncles.

And Remus loved them. "Hey kiddos! Oh flip y'all are giving tight hugs this time!" The two eldest nieces jumped on Remus' lap and strangled him, meaning unfortunately Logan had to lean away from his fiancé's embrace and stare at his ring to entertain himself. He was never completely alone in his thoughts though, there was a nephew that was staring at him. Logan raised an eyebrow towards the four year old.

"That's a pretty ring..." The child mumbled, coming closer so he could examine the jewels. Logan was a bit reluctant to give the kindergartener full control of the most precious piece of jewellery he owned. "I wanna give my friend a ring like that!"

"I think it's a little expensive for you at the moment." Logan quietly laughed, dusting the sapphire nonchalantly before looking to the side to see the chaos Remus was controlling. Turns out he was controlling everything perfectly, chatting to the nieces about school and their new boyfriends/girlfriends. But his eyes were looking to the side, looking at Logan... and he was blushing? Remus hardly ever blushed, but when he did it caused Logan's face to redden too.

All Remus was thinking about was how attractive his fiancé was at the moment. Speaking to a small child in such a low and gentle tone and making the child feel safe. Usually Remus' nephew, Gavin, adored Uncle Thomas since he was a big college student and stayed by his side throughout every family reunions. But now he seemed intrigued by Logan and his ring, and Logan looked so cute explaining things to him. He was such a good and attractive teacher, which is why Remus never crossed off the idea of having kids with Logan.

"Wait, wait! So dirt becomes a diamond when it's squeezed really, really hard?" In no time Gavin was sat on Logan's lap and excitedly learning how diamonds were made through poorly drawn pictures on a napkin he stole from the snack table.

"Mhm, and it has to be really hot too. That makes it shiny." Logan responded, enticing all the questions and curiosity. He was so happy to have a family like this one. The relative peace of the impromptu science lesson was soon interrupted when he heard the sounds of his fiancé and his twin grunting happily at each other like they usually did whenever they saw each other. Those twins were identical in every aspect including their energy levels.

There was a reason for the excited squeals this time at least. Roman and his partner had just welcomed their own little one in the form of a one year old baby. And this was Remus' first time seeing the infant. 

"LOGIE LOGIE LOOK! OH FLIP HE'S ADORABLE!" Remus was screaming from the entryway for his fiancé, but before Logan had the willpower to carry the four year old off his lap he was greeted with his fiancé running into the living room, a wide smile on his face, but holding the baby so gently and carefully. He quieted down as soon as he approached his lover. "Look Lo! Ain't he cute? He's got my eyes!"

Logan couldn't help but chuckle at the amazement he held for this little creature in his eyes, it made him somehow more attractive he was able to treat a thing he valued so highly with such gentleness. It also took the breath out of Logan to see this other side to the man he was marrying. "I believe he has Roman's eyes sweetheart, oh, uh - he's going on my lap is he?" The baby was delicately placed on the spare knee on Logan's lap, making the man's heartbeat increase for a totally different reason. Kids were easily damaged.

The baby was looking up at his Uncle Logan with such curiosity though. Kicking his little legs and sucking his fist. Logan had his hand firmly placed on the boy's back while Remus wondered away to talk to his twin again. So now Logan was stuck responsible for a four year old and one year old. "Right... Um, now what do we do with you kiddo?"

"There's books!" Gavin jumped off Logan's lap and ran towards a colourful small bookshelf that Remus' family kept when having their young relatives over. And while Logan had never had the experience of reading a children's book, he was not against the experience being a bit of a bookworm. Gavin sat on Logan's leg again and handed his Uncle a hungry caterpillar book, Logan opened the book and started to read. It seemed as though Gavin was learning to read and was excited to hear the different accent Logan had. The baby was just intrigued by the textures.

And Roman and Remus were watching Logan slowly get more comfortable about the two kids beside him, Remus showing a shy look on his face just like he did when he first spotted Logan across the lecture hall. "Well it looks as though you're going to beat Tom for next little one." Roman laughed as he sipped his champagne. Remus just couldn't stop staring.

"I sure hope so." Remus whispered breathlessly, wishing to pick his fiancé up and twirl him and make that fifty year commitment now. He couldn't wait for the rest of his life with his future husband.