(58) Wherever The Chase Leads... - Intruality

Summary: Remus and Patton were once children chasing each other in the playground. Now they're adults, married, with two little sons of their own.

Words: 1410

Patton was running across the park picking flowers, all different flowers he didn't know the names of but didn't care. He was going to make a flower crown for his high school brother Logan who was reading a book on a bench close by. He could probably ask his brother what flowers he was picking but at the same time he didn't want to disturb him - and he'd hear all about the breeds of flowers on the walk home anyway.

When he got closer to the play area of the park he watched all the other kids his age on the equipment. He did like playing in the play park sometimes but not always as he didn't want to break his glasses (and they broke a lot). Most kids were playing with each other or otherwise occupied apart from one. One child in a Minecraft creeper t-shirt with messy unbrushed brown hair was staring at him.

The staring kid first walked forwards slowly towards the gate Patton was peeking over, a small smirk on his face that made Patton giggle and backed away. The kid seemed determined with a crazy smile on his face - and before Patton knew it they were both running in the field.

"Imma get you!" The Minecraft boy screamed, summoning a wooden diamond sword out of nowhere and also wiggling that about. He was very memorable with his slightly unhinged behaviour and laugh but no other kids seemed scared of him. At that age Patton wasn't scared of anyone though. And even if this kid was actually insane Logan was only a metre away with a giant thick book that he could hit people with.

Patton fell to the ground as the kid landed on top of him with a large smile. "Got you!" He shouted proudly, crossing his arms over his chest and pretty much straddling the child he just met. "What's your name? I'm Remus!"

"Patton!" Patton responded, giggling until he saw his 16 year old brother approach. "And that's Logan!" He pointed at his brother as he was carried to a stand again, not understanding why, but he also learnt to never question his brother's weird habits as he turned back to the bench with his book in front of his eyes.

Remus raised an eyebrow at the teenager as he walked away and poked his new friend with his sword. "You wanna kill Steve?"

"Who's Steve?"

"I'm a creeper and I'm finding Steve. I stole this diamond sword from him." Patton only had a vague idea of what Remus meant as his brother often played Minecraft (only on creative though). He nodded and asked Remus how he could help, and before he knew it he was running around the field again chasing squirrels, birds and other children.

*****

"Wait... So my brother dragged me away from you because we were straddling?" Patton exclaimed as he walked across the park with his best friend Remus. It was summer again, and it was the summer before they both started at separate colleges so they were taking time to make final childhood memories with each other and reminiscing over ones in the past. Their friendship had lasted over 10 years and seemed nowhere near stopping soon - they were just going to have to get used to not seeing each other in person everyday. 

"I guess so, I don't think I was aware of what I was doing though." Remus had his hands behind his back as he looked up at the blue skies. He didn't want to leave. He only realised his sexuality in junior year when he realised he had been pining for his best friend. He came out to Patton and he accepted him of course - he just wished he had the chance of a high school romance before he'd be placed in the big busy city that was the backdrop for his college life.

Patton was looking at the play park, there were quite a few kids running around all the equipment so the high schoolers couldn't join in. Sometimes they went on the swings before school and acted like they were children again. They were so not prepared for adulthood. "Hey Remus..." Patton smirked at his friend, who smiled back equally mischievous and raised an eyebrow. "First to reach the play park buys ice cream?"

And just like that the pair was running again, trying to grab each other and knock each other over as some kind of tactic they kept since childhood. Remus loved watching his friend run - his light brown hair bobbed up and down with his steps and his glasses almost slid off every time he turned his head. His giggle was infectious and just brought extra attention to his pretty pink lips that Remus was now watching more than the path ahead of him...

"I win!" Patton screamed, grabbing onto the gate to the play park and giggling. Remus slowed as he approached... Silent until Patton gave him a confused but still happy glance. The cheery teen smirked as he realised where Remus' eyes lay - coming closer and placing a hand on his cheek. "And I think you did too."

Before Remus could understand what was going on his lips were covered by Patton's. His eyes closed slowly as he kissed back; one of his hands reaching Patton's hips and the other twirling through his hair. This was like a dream Remus had a few years back. He only believed he wasn't dreaming when he heard the nearby kids shouting about true love and two boys kissing 'not being as yucky' as their adults said. When the pair stopped kissing Patton smiled, waiting patiently for Remus to open his eyes and have some kind of verbal reaction.

"Wow..." Was the only response Remus could think of saying before kissing Patton's cheek quickly again and laughing. "I... I didn't even know you weren't straight and now you're... Wow..."

"And now you're my boyfriend?" He smiled again, his arms landing on Remus' shoulder in a hug. Remus couldn't keep his eyes off his best friend now - or he should say his partner... His soulmate. Although he'd probably leave the whole 'soulmate' thing until later to not scare Patton off.

*****

Two young children were giggling and chasing each other. Their parents were on a nearby bench watching them, one arm around the other and giving their sons soft smiles. "I'm surprised I still have that thing." Remus murmured as he pointed at a slightly bent wooden sword his oldest son, Roman, was running with. "Isn't that the same sword I chased you with?"

Patton nodded and giggled, making sure neither of his sons fell or got dirty on the grass they were running across. He absolutely adored his sons - especially Virgil - he was still so small and young and gave the best cuddles when he was sleepy. 

"Ooh imagine if they have their first kisses here too Dukey!" Patton gleamed as he watched the chasing. Remus smiled too and grabbed his husband's hand, remembering every time they went to the park together and everything that happened because of it. Even their wedding was in this small village park during the spring a few years after they graduated college. They knew as soon as they had their first kiss that they wanted each other in life - and they wanted to have a family, which now they did. "Oh I can't wait for Princey and Vergie to have weddings and we can walk them down the aisle or stand beside them while they watch their partner... Oh I can't wait!"

"They're 6 and 3 lillypad..." Remus whispered back as his smile got bigger. Patton's joy was so infectious especially when he was being excited about their small family. He was proud of them too of course - he just wasn't painting a perfect life for his sons yet. They had years to decide who they wanted to be.

But Remus just held his husband's hand - happy and excited for what was going to come for the parents. Were they going to adopt another kid? Were they going to adopt a dog or cat (again)? Maybe they'd just keep their lives like this until their sons were adults with their own families and lives and they'd get to play with adorable grandkids. Whatever happened Remus would never stop adoring his soulmate and best friend.