(90) Different - Royality (and Loceit)

Summary: Logan is well known in the local area as one father is the mayor and the other the head of the school district. He never quite fit in with his extrovert family though and considered himself a recluse... Until he met someone new.

I just moved up to university so sorry this took a while XD - it was going to be a huge one part but I'll follow with more Loceit later.

Words: 1549

People always said Logan looked like his fathers. "You're just like Roman with glasses!" They'd cheer, and ever since he was a toddler he got used to the amount of cheek squishes from old ladies as he walked down the road - he even got some as a high schooler. But Logan had hardly any idea why he was in the family he was in... He was just different. His fathers and his little brother were so extroverted and loved talking to everyone, Logan preferred taking more empty paths just to avoid everyone.

"Logie! I have some cookies for breakfast!" Logan's father, Patton, was shouting up the stairs at his teenage son who was doing his tie. Yes, Logan was that one weird kid who wore a tie to high school. It just made him feel formal and ready for learning.

Breakfast went as chaotic as usual, Logan stored the cookies in his lunchbox along with a half empty jar of Crofters he'd already began to use to make Crofters and toast for breakfast. While he was waiting for the toast he watched his two fathers out the corner of his eye - both were dressed in suits and his apparent clone had his arms around the cookie maker. They were whispering sweet nothings to each other as if they were the only ones in the room.

"Daaad! Get a room!" Logan's little brother, Remus, marched into the kitchen with an empty bowl that presumably previously had cookies. Both his fathers turned their head and then laughed, Roman ruffling Remus' hair with a smirk. Remus was a typical extroverted eighth grader, in all the musicals and art competitions and slacking boring lessons he didn't think were important. He never got away with missing lessons though as Patton was every school's boss and the cookie fanatic did really care about everyone's education. Logan supposed he got that trait from his other father. "Can you sign my permission slip for the American history field trip?"

Patton raised an eyebrow quizzically at his youngest son. "Promise it's not an excuse out of lesson form this time?" Yeah, Remus was a master of forgery at thirteen years old. It was slightly impressive but as the responsible older brother Logan wasn't meant to reveal that. 

"Reem's right this time Puffball." Roman said from the entryway where he was about to leave for work. "Thomas Middle School is due to tour the town hall in two weeks." Patton playfully scowled at that and signed the slip. No doubt Remus will use that signature for some excusing slips too when he doesn't feel like attending class.

*****

"If you put your head up I'll get you a Slytherin keyring." Logan whispered to his best friend, Virgil, as they were sat at the back of chemistry class together. Virgil had been Logan's best friend for as long as he could remember - he seemed like the only person who didn't care that Logan was a local celebrity.

"I decided I was Hufflepuff this week." A mumble came from the desk and Virgil moved a little bit. Logan raised an eyebrow and tried not to laugh.

"Why Hufflepuff? You hate yellow with an absolute passion."

There was a silent for a moment which probably meant Virgil had remembered the conversation two days ago on which colour each of them would fuck, marry and kill. "I dunno I'm pretty fucking loyal for putting up with you for so long." A laugh escaped the desk after that too and Virgil tilted his head to see his best friend. "You know I'm joking about that."

"But you're not joking about being Hufflepuff?"

Virgil was about to shake his head but the two high schooler's conversation was interrupted by the classroom door opening and a new person walking through. The person was androgynous and wore a simple yellow hoodie with tracksuit bottoms, a large backpack and a beanie. Logan was immediately entranced by the person as they spoke to the teacher in a soft whisper that was only just out of his hearing.

After a few seconds of silence the teacher explained that this mysterious person was a transfer student and instructed that everyone should be welcoming. Then the new student was told to speak.

"Uh... I'm Janus..." Janus looked back to the teacher but she seemed to want him to speak more. And Logan did too. "I just moved here from Orlando, and I'm happy to be here?" Although the end seemed more like a question that information seemed adequate for the teacher so she told Janus to sit in an empty seat... And he sat next to Logan.

Logan's cheeks were heating up for no reason he could identify, but he covered them anyway. He couldn't help but sneak looks at this stranger too - he looked utterly focused on the task he was given although confused at the activity. When Janus raised his head Logan could see his eyes: one brown and one green/hazel, he must have heterochromia, how interesting...

"Hey do you have any idea what an ionic bonds are?" The man Logan was facing whispered, chewing the end of his pencil as he seemed ever so nonchalant about this new situation for both of them. Logan had never been nervous to talk to someone before - let alone a guy.

It took a second to gather himself, and he could hear Virgil trying to hold a laugh in the background. "They're when a metal gives a non-metal their electrons so they become attracted to each other." Attraction seemed like an unsuitable word right now - not that Logan was attracted romantically to this new student. It was just a platonic adoration because he wanted to finally have a new friend that wouldn't freak out about his fathers.

But when Logan finally dragged his eyes away from Janus he spotted Virgil glaring at him. "What?" Logan whispered, a small smile on his face as Virgil raised an eyebrow. He didn't need to say anything - his best friend already knew his every thought. Instead of verbalising said thoughts and embarrassing himself the high schooler only stuck out his tongue at his emo best friend.

*****

It was soon dinner, pot roast, and since Logan was with his family it wasn't exactly quiet. His father was boasting about some meeting, his other father was chatting excitedly about another, and his little brother was encouraging all the talking and giggles. It was giving Logan a headache.

"I have news! I have news!" Remus shouted at the top of his lungs, waving his hands around and hitting his older brother in the process. Both fathers stopped their conversations with their head raised and a smile. "I have a partner, they're called Talyn and they're really cute..." The middle schooler couldn't stop screaming and gushing about his new love. And his parents had the toxically proud look that meant Patton was about to burst at the seams. 

But Patton just unleashed a quiet laugh and held his husband's hand. "That sounds absolutely wonderful Reem, we'd love to meet them!" He silenced and his head slowly turned to his older son. "You seem quieter than usual kiddo, everything alright?"

Logan would nod but Roman spoke first. "Oh honey I think he's in love with someone! I can see it in his eyes - oh both our boys are growing up in front of our very eyes!" Roman was so dramatic sometimes... Most of the time actually. There was no change in eye contact or expression compared to every other dinner but Logan's father was somehow a genius. Were his cheeks red? Shit, they were. There was no escape from this. "Who's the lucky person?"

"He's called Janus." Just saying his name made Logan's cheeks unbearably hot.  "And it's not love, it's just a series of unusual chemical reactions in my body that I'm not used to. I'm not even remotely attracted to him - I'm definitely not gay!" The last part was maybe said a little loud... And his dads looked hurt. "Not that there's nothing wrong with being attracted to the same sex of course. It's just not me." It was too silent. 

Even Patton wasn't smiling. He just held his husband's hand and looked down, eating. This was an entirely new - entirely different - situation. He just wanted to reach over and cuddle his fathers to apologise but that also seemed like a bad idea. "I'll leave if you want me to..." Logan managed to whisper out, looking down at his food himself. No-one said anything yet again. 

So Logan stood quietly and took his food in his hands shyly. He was sure he wasn't gay though - he only met this boy today and that just made him a little nervous. There was nothing not straight about that.

He just had pretty looking eyes that anyone would appreciate - boy or girl. They were just captivating and so interesting. Maybe Logan's nerdy-ness just portrayed like attraction because he wanted to examine Janus' interesting pupils to figure out all the genetic causes and stuff. Yeah, totally not gay stuff. He'd just carry on seeing Janus and eventually the blushing cheeks will wear off and he can continue with his thoughts.