(147) One Night of Many - Moxiety

Summary: Virgil and Patton are parents of a child that has trouble sleeping through the night. They're finding it difficult (especially Virgil) but together they will work through everything and have the life they want together.

Also - I've been wondering what I should do when I run out of chapters on Wattpad? (Wattpad has a max of 200 chapters). I'd probably continue posting the one-shots under the AO3 version of this book but would you guys like another version of a one shot book? I've been having many ideas for meet-cutes based off some of the AUs in these one-shots so I wouldn't mind creating a spin-off XD.

Words: 1183

Virgil watched his husband trot down the stairs as quietly as he could, looking upstairs for a second to see if their toddler was following him. "She's asleep sweetie. I closed the window away from her a little." The new father yawned as he spoke and sat next to his husband, bringing an arm around him and kissing his forehead. "Has Frankenweenie finished?"

"Do you think this will be forever?" Virgil quietly piped up, looking up the stairs again and expecting the toddler to walk down crying with her blanket and teddies. He was happy to be a father, of course, but Destiny was a handful. She was struggling a little with coming home, and hadn't slept through the night these last three nights. Patton's eyes furrowed as he watched the emotions in his husband's face, not sure what to do but kiss his forehead. "I just want her to be happy here. What if she's not? We'll have to say goodbye to her..."

"She's happy here sweetheart, didn't she cuddle you willingly after dinner?" A smile came onto Virgil's face as he remembered that moment, it was Destiny's first sign of physical affection when she leant against Virgil's shoulder while he was reading a book to her. And Patton would never forget the wide smile his husband was trying to hide at that small hint of their daughter getting comfortable. "Nights are different. We knew they'd be."

Virgil nodded slowly, hugging a leg to his chest as he thought. They both knew that getting a family together would be difficult, and they wanted to do it via adoption in order to help out a little in the world. But in moments like this Virgil was wondering if they were more of a hinderance than a help.

But Patton always wanted to be a father, and he was there to be good support for anyone in his family. That included Virgil, and without hesitation Virgil was brought into a cuddle beside his husband's lap, he was kissed all over. "You have no need to worry, sweetheart." Patton whispered, stroking a hand through Virgil's hair as he talked and kissed. "I'm so excited to raise Destiny with you! Just keep on future thinking, alright? We're taking one step at a time."

Of course Virgil was excited to be a father, and Patton knew that, as they had spent nights awake before imagining important moments. Like Destiny's first day of elementary school in a few years time - Patton was an elementary teacher so he could be a support for Destiny and Virgil's workplace as an accountant for the school district was right next door. Destiny will hopefully feel safe.

Just as Virgil was beginning to close his eyes and let sleep overtake him (even though he was in the living room, Patton would move him if needed), footsteps were heard down the stairs again. "Hey kiddo, what's up?" Patton wore his wide smile and activated his chirpy voice as if this wasn't the seventh time this all happened.

Destiny just rubbed her eyes and looked towards Virgil, who smiled too and yawned before standing up. "Do you want to talk to me about it princess?" Virgil spoke gently, kneeling down to Destiny's level, but the girl didn't speak. "Do you want another story?" Destiny shook her head. "Is your room not right?" The toddler nodded sheepishly, knowing that this was the third time that reasoning was used. But Virgil and Patton knew not to be angry at her about it - she was just trying to settle. "OK! Let's sort that out then!"

After a few minutes of walking around the room together, Destiny only communicating via points, the new father figured out that the purple and blue night light was too bright. He dimmed the light slightly and turned off the parts that caused the lilac stars to move. By then Destiny was back in bed and was watching Virgil - an unsure look on her face. It broke Virgil's heart to think why Destiny was so untrusting of guardians.

"Night night Dessie." Virgil smiled as he walked towards the open door, giving a small wave as he grabbed the doorknob. But Destiny kept her eyes on him, and eventually spoke.

"Don't go..."

Virgil walked swiftly to his daughter's side in a second to stop his heart from breaking more. "Do you want a sleepover tonight kiddo?" Destiny shyly nodded and lay on her side, Virgil lay on the wooden floor close by - excited for this moment of bonding. "Shall we read stories on our sleepover or just chat or should we sleep?"

Destiny sucked her thumb a little in thought but then spoke gently, her voice a whisper like the wind. "Where do you go when you leave me here?"

"Patton and I go to our bedroom to sleep princess, remember we showed it to you during your first day here? It has all the fluffy pillows and blankets." Destiny was definitely interested in her parents' bedroom when she first arrived - she said it looked like a cloud with the amount of softness around her. Virgil thought that too when he first started sleeping with Patton - it took a while to get used to.

There was another moment of silence before Destiny mumbled back. "And why do you come back?"

Many reasons. It started when he introduced Patton to his little cousins, and he realised how amazing being a father would be. Then they got the letter saying they had passed all the interviews to be adoptive parents - and seeing that smile on Patton's face made Virgil fall in love again. Lastly, he saw the cautious eyes of Destiny and knew - ironically - that she was his destiny. She was his daughter.

"Because we love you Dessie. We're excited to spend every day with you!" Virgil was most definitely grinning as he spoke, and possibly tears were coming to his eyes out of full joy. And Destiny was smiling slightly too. That was the best achievement Virgil could have.

"I love you too, Dad. You're nice." With that Destiny settled and closed her eyes, beginning to fall asleep all by herself. Virgil did the same, yawning and closing his eyes ready to let sleep overtake him too. Cuddling with Patton didn't seem that important when he was bonding with his daughter.

When Patton came to fetch his husband he was happy to see him passed out on their daughter's bedroom floor, and their sweet daughter was snuggled happily in her princess bed. He felt no need to move either of them, but he did get a dog blanket from the bedroom and snuggled next to his lover. Virgil woke slightly at the sudden warmth but did nothing but mumble once, then kiss Patton's forehead and brush his fingers through his hair.

This was their first night as a family that all three members got a peaceful and adequate amount of sleep. And Destiny was overjoyed to see that both her fathers had remembered her the next morning.