(83) So... I Think I Have A Kid Now - Logan

Summary: Logan is a busy business owner that finds a lost toddler at the train station. God help his heart.

Single father Logan and child Virgil is the most adorable thing and nobody can ever say otherwise /j. This will kind of me a less angsty version of 'Punkin' It' if the ideas in that chapter were too real :)

Also - I don't know if it's just a British train station thing or if it's worldwide but in my country we have yellow lines beside the tracks otherwise you can't get hit by trains :)

"Yes, yes, I'll be at the 3pm meeting... The presentation is on the memory stick in the 'meetings' file and is named 'proposal for a financial extension'..." Today was a busy day for Logan Sanders, there was a very important meeting happening later in the day in the capital city which would mean his small business he began as a teenager when he wanted to paint constellations his friends liked with special messages would soon become an actual global business - or at least national. It was the dream he had dreamt about since high school.

And that was the reason the organised business man had arrived at his train platform an hour early. He wanted to make sure he didn't miss a second of travel that would inconvenience. He was a busy man, a busy successful man, nothing would distract him from the mission he was on...

There was a very young child close to the edge of the platform, past the yellow line. With a glance at the clock Logan could see a train was due to the platform in a few minutes and the kid didn't seem to care about that nor was a parent dragging them away. And Logan would never forgive himself to see a hurt child. 

"Hey kiddo?" Logan knelt down a distance away from the yellow line, a smile on his face as he looked around for any nearby parent. The little boy looked over as he sucked his thumb. "Can you come a bit closer kiddo? It's dangerous to play there."

The boy followed the instructions quickly, looking at Logan with glowing brown eyes. Logan smiled politely and still kept his eyes out for someone in charge of this small child.

But the toddler mumbled loudly as he looked at Logan, trying to get the man's attention, and held out his little arms. For a moment Logan just watched the little boy confused and unsure. The boy wanted to be held but unfortunately gender stereotypes meant Logan couldn't do that due to the likeliness of getting a lawsuit. "Where's your parent kiddo? Mommy? Daddy? Parrie?" He tried out different parent names but the child didn't seem to care, he just held out his hands and screamed. People were looking but no-one was coming to collect the kid - so there was one solution. He knelt down to be level with the screamer. "I can't pick you up little guy."

The child grasped onto Logan's shoulders as soon as he knelt down, immediately silencing to the relief of others around the platform. "Hey, hey... No. I can't pick you up." This toddler had the grip of a god and didn't let go, which meant eventually Logan did have to carry him so his knees didn't give in. "What's your name?"

"Virgil." The boy said slowly, looking around from the sanctity of this confused stranger. After a few seconds of silence Logan realised Virgil was looking in a particular direction - beside the toilets.

OK, that made sense. The parent needed a toilet break and either decided not to take their son or Virgil managed to walk off and escape to the platform. Logan walked beside the toilets and placed the boy on the ground again to wait. Virgil looked at the older man confused and annoyed.

But Logan couldn't babysit Virgil forever, and time continued ticking with no parent emerging from the bathroom. Luckily there was soon a train guard patrolling the platform and Logan finally felt safe to put the toddler into someone else's hands. The train guard seemed nice as Logan explained the situation, took Virgil away even though he seemed to complain, and Logan could board his train on time and attend his meeting.

*****

"Aww he sounds so cute though!" One of Logan's coworkers, who was also his older sister, sat opposite him and was geeking out over Logan's story of his morning at the platform. "You should have kept him!"

"That's illegal Penny." Logan laughed as he almost choked on his sandwich. His sister was already a mother and a good one at that - she wanted to see Logan happy with a family (with whatever Logan wanted his family to be). At the moment Logan saw no internal need for dating and described himself as somewhat asexual - so marriage was far from his trajectory at the moment. Secretly he had undergone the foster care assessments just in case he decided to help young kids in the future though. "He's probably having happy play time with his parents right now. He's in good hands."

As if someone was listening into his conversation Logan's phone rang - from the train security services. He gave his number to the train guard just in case he needed to but didn't believe he'd actually get a call back. So for a second Logan stepped away from his sister and spoke through the phone. "Hello? Logan Sanders speaking."

The security services introduced themselves following their script, but soon the script deviated from expected. "We'll have to have your witness statement... And we contacted the local Steven Universe Foster Agency and it seems as though you are a suitable foster parent for the current situation."

"Foster parent?" Logan repeated, wondering if he was just hearing things. But the security officer just seemed to hum along.

"Is Virgil a suitable placement for you at the moment?" The caller chirped, not minding the short silence that followed as Logan thought. His spare bedroom was only small; small enough for a purple bed, wardrobe, toy chest, and night light. Was Virgil even old enough for a bed or would he need a bassinet? Would he need a mother figure or at least a parental figure other than Logan? What was his full story so Logan could understand his trauma...

"Yes, yes... Virgil is fine with me." None of those questions seemed to matter as Logan spoke without thought. The caller seemed happy with that and asked Logan if he was available for interview soon so Virgil could move in as quick as possible. "Yes, I can do that too." 

After a few minutes Logan turned to spot his sister gasping and squeaking excitedly about seeing another cute kid that she could cuddle even if it wasn't a permanent placement. But as the weeks went by the situation became clearer that Virgil was living with Logan permanently - at least for quite a few years - but Logan adored being a father of such a curious and cautious little boy.