(54) Whatever Yours Can Do, Mine Can Do Better - Creativitwins

Summary: Remus and Roman had two sons around the same time - and being twins they were used to competing with each other. Their kids are no escape from their everlasting contest.

Words: 1972

Technically the competitions all began at the twins' birth, but they only accelerated as they got older. It was always friendly of course - but Roman and Remus were identical and always mixed up at birth which meant they constantly wanted to outshine each other. When they became adults it didn't change. Roman got a wife, Remus got a husband and they planned to have kids at the same time. Whoever had a baby first would win this particular 'competition'.

It was 5am when Roman heard the cry of his first son - Harkin - and he immediately burst into a smile. Remus hadn't mentioned his baby was due yet (although he said he and his husband had a surrogate). "Wow... He's here babe." Roman finally realised his hand was not being crushed to death during the labour. His wife was sweating and panting slightly, her ginger hair now greasy but she also had a smile. "Looks like he has your red hair." 

Harkin finally reached his mother for some skin-to-skin cuddles. He was so small and wrinkly, a tuft of ginger hair on his head as he seemed nervous to open his eyes and face the world. Roman's role as a father was to make sure all that worry would go away.

"Mind if I call Remus to give him the news?" Roman whispered, first cradling Harkin with a stroke of his hand before his wife nodded with a smile. She knew Roman and Remus' weird bond of course and absolutely adored it. Both twin's partners got along with the opposite twin quite well and often encouraged their competitiveness.

Of course Roman wanted to take the call outside the ward to not disturb little Harkin; he watched the midwives and nurses all running around the hallways in and out of rooms around him. He brought his phone out with a triumphant smile in order to call Remus - but not before he heard a shout. 

"HEY DORK!" Roman heard across the corridor before seeing Remus running to him in his pyjamas. His husband Remy was behind him with a baby carrier across his chest, seemingly talking to it which erased the new father's proud smile. "Is Emma giving birth? Get in there!"

"Did you just have yours?" Roman responded, smiling at his brother's new excitement which definitely meant he was now a father too. The twin nodded excitedly, beckoning his partner over so Roman could see his nephew. A full head of brown hair that was exactly like the twins, along with baby blue eyes and tanned skin. He was also a little cutie, not as cute as his own of course. "So this is Moss?"

Remus was jumping up and down on the spot and stroking his son's hair. "He's adorable isn't he? Seven pounds seven, came out screaming which is a mood, born at 4:34am. Does Emma want any good luck?"

"All the luck has already been given. Harkin was born at... 5:04am." Roman checked the time on his phone to make sure, maybe also to escape his twin's triumphant smile that he stole from him. "He's a little underweight but otherwise healthy. How about we meet up again when the sun's actually up to give our boys their first play date?"

"That sounds great." Remus' husband said as he choked a yawn. "I need a nap and coffee before my Starbucks shift in the morning."

And with that the two new fathers walked away with their newborn, leaving Roman to scowl to himself before remembering he had his own little son inside the ward by some soft wails. He quickly turned back and spotted his wife nursing their son - the proudest smile erupted on his face. Emma glanced at him and quieted her giggle, she probably heard Remus' voice from outside the door.

"What's the chance our boys were born on the same day huh?" She laughed, and the new parents stared down at their baby until they were allowed to leave.