(153) Fireman Part 2 - Remus

Summary: After a few weeks of being Ember's father, Remus has to return back to work. But he feels more comfortable now he has someone waiting for him to return.

Words: 1173

"Oh I know, I know... You're not a big fan of pink are you?" Remus chuckled, nuzzling his daughter's cheek as she unleashed a quiet but bored cry. This was what mornings were like for Remus now, getting his adorable daughter out of her fluffy pink onesie and into an appropriate outfit. But now the young man was an expert at identifying Ember's cries after four weeks of having her. And he was so happy to have her.

Remus didn't know what his life purpose was just over a month ago. He was a hardworking fireman to pass the time, but had no real reason to live apart from that especially since his twin brother was a social media manager and family man of three kids. But when Ember landed in the Safe Haven box Remus fell in love with her straight away - she was just so small and precious, who could not love her?

"You're just so cute I could eat you!" Remus growled and snuggled his nose into his daughter's cheek, just enjoying her mumbles and squeaks. This month had been absolute heaven for the new father, being at Ember's beck and call and actually feeling valued in the small things he did. Well - he had a very valuable job as a firefighter but now he enjoyed just living and making an impact too. "Are you excited to join Dad at work today?"

Ember squealed and reached up her little chubby hands to her father, her eyes glowing in naive excitement that she was just going somewhere with her dad. It didn't matter where the pair went - Ember was always overjoyed to spend time with Remus doing anything.

Paternity leave hadn't finished for Remus yet, but he only had a day left and he wanted to use it to introduce his favourite baby to his favourite coworkers. The fire department was important for Ember too. After all, it's where she was found as she was stuffed into a Safe Haven box and surrendered. Remus wanted to make sure Ember had a close relationship with the place she was found.

With a couple complaints when Ember was strapped into her car seat the two family members eventually made their way to the fire station. "Look Embie! Where are we? You can stop crying now!" Remus cheered to the backseat, letting Ember's tears quietly dim on her own before getting out the car himself and holding her in his arms again. 

And it only took a few seconds for someone to pay attention to the ball of adorableness Remus had fallen in love with. "Oh my God! Is this Ember Re? Oh she's grown since I last saw her!" Remus' favourite coworker, named Kylie, was a little older than the rest of the firefighters but she took any new recruits under her wing automatically. That included Remus when he started training fresh out of high school, during the summer he graduated. Now she was practically exploding with excitement that the man she treated like her child now had a child of his own.

"Yeah, she's caught up her weight this month so she's due for a growth spirt, thanks for the extra baby-grows by the way." Remus whispered, wrapping Ember in a baby carrier and focusing on that instead of looking up at Kylie. He waved Ember's little fist once she was all strapped in and smiled to himself. "Who's in today? Are they ready to meet this little one?"

Kylie laughed as if Remus had insinuated that there was a person in the world who didn't want to meet Ember. "Of course everyone wants to meet her! I... might have told the entire department you were coming and they might all be waiting for you inside the garage."

"Of course - but those on shift will leave and do their job if they have to right?" Remus laughed and walked towards the fire station, stroking a hand through Ember's ginger curls as he could tell she was slowly falling asleep. Hopefully everyone seeing her wouldn't be too overwhelming for her, although Remus knew if she seemed a little fussy he'd absolutely slink away and comfort her. Ember needed to have healthy role models that cared about her.

Luckily the firefighters seemed quite considerate of their infant visitor and immediately quieted as soon as Remus walked in. They didn't ask to hold Ember or force her to wake up, they just chatted to Remus until Ember woke up again.

"Good morning princess!" Remus mumbled once Ember's eyes were glowing up at him again, and he slowly unwrapped his daughter so she could lie on his lap. She was surrounded again by everyone who wanted to meet her - and at first Remus felt protective. He didn't want Ember to feel overwhelmed and unsafe in the place that Remus spent all his life before finding her. But Ember didn't seem to mind all the fuss and just silently watched each person that squished her cheek, turning back to Remus each time so he could tell her that they were safe. Remus adored finally having someone trust him so much.

A shuffle of noises caused Ember to turn her head and coo quietly, and Remus watched his coworkers dig into the school trip box for a gift for the new member of their team. "Found something!" Someone chirped, before running over with the smallest-ever-seen fireman hat. "I think it's meant to be more Build-A-Bear teddies, but can we see how it looks on her?"

"Of course we can." Remus laughed, taking the hat and carefully placing it on Ember's head, using the velcro to keep it still but also making sure it was loose. Ember seemed happy with her new toy and mumbled a thank you. She mumbled louder when Remus kissed her button nose.

"Have you told your brother about Ember? I bet she'd make a killing being an online influencer like him." A young male firefighter chirped eventually. It was known that Remus had a twin brother, and said brother was a successful social media marketer with three kids and living the perfect life. He was always the perfect child - it was a sore topic for Remus to think about sometimes, and the firefighter that brought it up was quickly reminded on that. Things got better now he had Ember though, everything got better.

"Not yet. And I don't feel like posting her on my social media anyway until she wants me to. Her beauty is all mine for now." Remus blew a raspberry into Ember's cheek just to hear her scream happily. Maybe one day Remus would have the courage to introduce Ember to his uncle, niece and nephews or maybe he'd decide it's healthy for his small family to stay apart from Roman. Possibly Remus could get a boyfriend and give Ember uncles, aunts, cousins, and grandparents to talk about at school.

Right now - it was just Ember and Remus. And Remus would never regret that.